Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
Brrrr Waxing derv?

Minus 20 forcast here tonight.
My FL2 is kept outside.
Is is possible my derv could wax? Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #85428 24th Dec 2010 8:59 pm
andw

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

mmmmmm cold
you could but unless your going out in it early it should warm up enough when the day begins

or you could get up every 45 min and run the engine for 15min to keep the fuel moving Thumbs Up Big Cry

Post #85430 24th Dec 2010 9:06 pm
clevelandy

England 

Mines been out for the last couple of weeks without any issues.
However on Tuesday on my way to work I suffered loss of power and the Amber engine management warning light on the dash.
Had LR Assist out and they diagnosed the fuel filter waxed up. Could have been caused by some poor quality diesel or some water getting into the system.
Either way had to have a new one fitted @ £85 from the local dealer - Happy Christmas.

Post #85431 24th Dec 2010 9:07 pm
alex_pescaru

clevelandy wrote:
on my way to work I suffered loss of power and the Amber engine management warning light on the dash..... they diagnosed the fuel filter waxed up

Really?
When the engine is working, because of the high pressure, the diesel is quite hot on return line. So after a few minutes, the diesel in tank is quite over waxing temperatures.
Also the fuel filter features a fuel pre-heat function that operates when the return fuel temperature is below 10°C (50°F). The pre-heat function reticulates a quantity of return fuel from the high pressure fuel system through the filter canister to prevent fuel waxing, and improve the engine performance during cold running. Up to 90% of the fuel is reticulated when under 10°C (50°F).
So.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post #85434 24th Dec 2010 9:24 pm
jdubya

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

I have had a new filter fitted £140 Big Cry that was filter, plug into diagnostic machine as Reduced Engine Performance message was there and labour
Car cut out 6 times on a 10 mile journey but found if you kept the revs below 2000 you could drive it
Mechanic said freelander disco r/sport and r/rover affected as filters are very fine

Post #85439 24th Dec 2010 10:08 pm
alex_pescaru

There is a specific procedure to prime a new filter. If not done properly could lead to problems.
For example, recently, after changing my filter, even the procedure was properly followed, the car started after longer periods than usual for a couple of times.
Seeing that, I let it idle for about 15-20 minutes for allowing the air from inside the system to be purged and also that valve that I've talked about above, inside the top of the filter, to be activated and, later, deactivated.
Afterwards, it started as usual without any problems.

Post #85452 25th Dec 2010 8:33 am
zoey

United States 

Don't they use fuel additives to prevent this on your side of the pond? Around here, they start adding just before the temperatures drop. You know when they have as the price starts to jump dramatically.

Post #85484 25th Dec 2010 11:42 pm
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

clevelandy wrote:
Mines been out for the last couple of weeks without any issues.
However on Tuesday on my way to work I suffered loss of power and the Amber engine management warning light on the dash.
Had LR Assist out and they diagnosed the fuel filter waxed up. Could have been caused by some poor quality diesel or some water getting into the system.
Either way had to have a new one fitted @ £85 from the local dealer - Happy Christmas.

I posted on this problem last winter. Entering a motorway slip road and accelerating fairly hard late on a night when the temperature was below freezing the engine without warning went on to "reduced engine power"so next morning called Land Rover Assistance who attended and the guy (lives in Chester but forgotten his name with out looking up the paper work-Sorry fella, as I know he surfs this forum occasionally) he he fortunately keeps up to date on service notices and knew that there was a modification to deal with loss of engine power at minus temperatures.
Plugged in his laptop and 15 minutes later we were sorted.

Bill Turner Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #85549 27th Dec 2010 10:41 am
clevelandy

England 

Hope not!

Had the laptop plugged into mine and it hadnt registered any fault codes - so I guess thats what led them down the fuel filter route.
As I was heading away the following day - didnt really have time to argue.

However after returning today after 500 trouble free miles - whatever they have done seems to have cured it - for now.

PS Main dealer said they would discount cost of fuel filter/ fitting off next service as it is due in less than 3000 miles?

Post #85594 27th Dec 2010 10:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1