Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Service Indicator....How Long?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
kezman50

England 
Service Indicator....How Long?

My Service Indicator is now showing -4 past. It's only done 15.5k. It's a bit complicated but at about 11k it had both an A and B service to catch up, this was when I purchased the vehicle. There was a lot of back and forth with dealership at the time establishing possible voided man warranty due to previous owned not servicing at correct time interval etc etc but all that has passed with official confirmation letters blah blah (plenty of posts regarding on here at the time) The service indicator is obviously flashing at me based on time rather than mileage!

I do plan to get it serviced...making arrangements with a proper independent this week. The reality is that I've got man warranty until Dec 20th of this year to preserve and I just wondered in general how long a typical dealership allows you to over run the indicator before they start to cause you problems regarding claims?

Also what oils are people putting in ? Castrol Mag 5-30 fully synthetic seems to be popular....are any people extending to the edge variants?

Post #78176 12th Oct 2010 7:15 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

How many miles since last service? And how long since?

They need servicing every 12 months or 15k miles which ever comes sooner

At -4 your looking to be 4 days away (or 4 days over) can remember which way round it is Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #78188 12th Oct 2010 8:05 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:
How many miles since last service? And how long since?

They need servicing every 12 months or 15k miles which ever comes sooner

At -4 your looking to be 4 days away (or 4 days over) can remember which way round it is

4 days over (past the service interval)

If you dont know which oil to use put the stuff in the LR service station tells you to put in. Mine seems to change all the time and the latest is Castrol Magnatech 5- something 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #78190 12th Oct 2010 8:47 am
athelstan

The official LR FL2 service schedule is 15kmls or 24kkms, or, every 12 months from the last service whichever comes first!

The service indicator on the dash shows both time and/or mls/kms "to" or "over" the due service period. To distinguish between time or distance shown LR use the "clock" pictogram for time i.e. days to or past the date. No clock shown indicates that the numeric value is representing distance "to" or a minus "-" as the number of miles or kilometers by which the service is overdue. In the case of distance the display will also show the word "MILES" or "KMS".

Post #78195 12th Oct 2010 12:17 pm
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

That's very interesting. I collected 2nd hand Freelander 2 only last week from a (non Land Rover) dealer.
The service says -21 with a clock next to it ( I thought it was just a code for a mechanic Rolling Eyes ). It got serviced but obviously the car doesn't think it has been.

Guess where I will be going to tomorrow? Not happy Twisted Evil

Post #78204 12th Oct 2010 2:28 pm
1STFREELANDER

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I have an XS registered 30/9/09, i don't remember seeing any messages on the info centre for an overdue service even though I didn't get it serviced until the 8/10/10. Was the message centre optional, only fitted to some models, anyone got any answers, thanks

Post #78211 12th Oct 2010 4:06 pm
kezman50

England 

Yeah erm......I'm under no illusions as to what the info means. Basically I have done 4.5k miles since it's last service which was about 12 months ago so the indicator is clearly based on time rather than milage, to which I've certainly gone 4 days over and counting. Hence the minus value. I was wondering about a typical dealers tolerance to going over your schedule...so to give an example, lets say I turn up with -45 on the service indicator to eventually get my service done at a landrover dealer. Could that dealer say "yes sir we will gladly service your vehicle for you, that said we have to inform you you have already violated certain elements of you warranty" An example I suppose could be a blown turbo, sighting contaminated oil due to a late service.

Is there a line drawn regarding how many days you can go out of schedule?

Post #78224 12th Oct 2010 7:36 pm
W.D.C.A.P.H.

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

I'm sure I read the time allowances somewhere. I think it was in my LR Assured warranty booklet. It explains the leeway LR will give you. We Don't Care About Pot Holes !!

Post #78231 12th Oct 2010 8:10 pm
AndyC

AiiEEX wrote:
That's very interesting. I collected 2nd hand Freelander 2 only last week from a (non Land Rover) dealer.
The service says -21 with a clock next to it ( I thought it was just a code for a mechanic Rolling Eyes ). It got serviced but obviously the car doesn't think it has been.

Guess where I will be going to tomorrow? Not happy Twisted Evil

I think you will find its only LR dealers/approved service stations that can reset the counter on the dash. So it dosent really pay to go non LR service. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #78232 12th Oct 2010 8:12 pm
ad210358

England 

Am I missing some thing here Question Question If you are positive it has had a service it can be reset,

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic4963.html

Or have I missed something Question

Post #78243 12th Oct 2010 8:54 pm
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

As long as the booked is stamped, would it matter if it didn't get reset and you just remember the next service date?

Post #78287 13th Oct 2010 9:59 am
athelstan

kezman50 wrote:
I was wondering about a typical dealers tolerance to going over your schedule...so to give an example, lets say I turn up with -45 on the service indicator to eventually get my service done at a landrover dealer. Could that dealer say "yes sir we will gladly service your vehicle for you, that said we have to inform you you have already violated certain elements of you warranty" An example I suppose could be a blown turbo, sighting contaminated oil due to a late service. Is there a line drawn regarding how many days you can go out of schedule?

kezman50
I asked my dealer this morning. This reply is applicable to here in CH and therefore there may not be the same allowances/discretion given in other markets:

Provided there were no present vehicle failure alarms present, or recorded and outstanding, since the last service by an authorized LR Service Centre the discretion would amount to:

a) the FL2 being serviced 30 days or circa 500kms (312mls) since the overdue date or distance, and
b) provided that the vehicle was still within LR's new vehicle warranty scheme (FL2 3yrs) or covered thereafter by LR's "Premium Warranty" for years 4 and/or 5.
c) subject to A & B; once serviced the vehicle would be protected for the following 12mths and/or distance traveled under LR's "service" warranty terms and conditions.

This is not stated in writing, just acknowledged as being seen as "customer orientated", and the general condition of the vehicle would also be taken into account - so give your FL2 a good brush n polish before presenting for service.

Post #78301 13th Oct 2010 12:26 pm
AndyC

AiiEEX wrote:
As long as the booked is stamped, would it matter if it didn't get reset and you just remember the next service date?

It's just irritating to have a handy gadget that is not working. Crying or Very sad 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #78320 13th Oct 2010 7:36 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

ISTR that it is something like 1000 miles or one month grace Question ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #78327 13th Oct 2010 8:11 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Mine is showing -53. I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that when I bought it from Marshall's in March and pointed out that it hadn't been serviced, they said, oh yes it has, we must have forgotten to stamp the book, which they then did. As far as I'm concerned they're an official dealer and the book is now stamped, but I might feel inclined to do an oil change...

Post #78512 16th Oct 2010 4:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>