« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Decisions Decisions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue
Decisions Decisions

My FL2 is up for renewal in April so will need to be putting an order in by xmas for a replacement but im still in two minds as to what to do.

I am disappointed with the facelift, I think LR could have done more but in the same respect it was always a good car. If I go for another it would have to be the SD4 HSE with Windsor leather etc which pushes the price upto a eye watering £39K!! For that sort of money I could get the new BMW X3 for £30K and spend another £5 or £6K on some extras that would put the FL2 to shame. (power boot / satnav screen that shows radio etc). The Volvo XC60 is another contender at around £38K but am worried about it looking like a jacked up estate car and also being slightly bigger than the FL2 (I dont want a Disco 4 sized 4x4) plus I know some other forum members have been uphappy with the driving position / comfort. My final option is the Audi Q5 which is expensive in its own right but due to the FL2's price is actually now in the running!

I know that there will be a few sniggers with the X3 but I was reading a review the other day and it was given quite a good write up - comparing it to the X5 in many respects.

nb - also I dont really need the off-road capabilities - just something that will get me around in the snow etc.

Post #79200 25th Oct 2010 2:24 pm
athelstan

Shilen
Can you not keep your present FL2 until the all new model FL3 "Ventura" rolls out Q4 2012?

Then decide: German - Swedish/Chinese - Swedish - UK - or Asian or American i.e whatever from whomever.

Post #79203 25th Oct 2010 2:46 pm
adrian_fl2

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Tonga Green

I have similar thoughts. Was just quoted £37K for a new SD4 HSE and a reasonable trade-in price for my current HSE but now that the new car price is £37K and not the £31K I paid, it makes you think what else you could get.

My views on the new engine were that it was better, but not something I'd have to have. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE auto Tonga Green/Alpaca

Post #79204 25th Oct 2010 2:47 pm
shilen

athelstan wrote:
Shilen
Can you not keep your present FL2 until the all new model FL3 "Ventura" rolls out Q4 2012?

Then decide: German - Swedish/Chinese - Swedish - UK - or Asian or American i.e whatever from whomever.

My FL2 is on personal contract hire. If I had another FL2 I would opt for a 2 year duration so that I could drop onto the FL3 6 months after it was releasd. Pity the 5 door Evoque wasnt out before the 3 door as I may have been pondering over that!

Post #79206 25th Oct 2010 2:53 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

I've always thought the X3 was unduly criticised, possibly due to people making comparisons with the X5.

from what I've seen the new X3 looks very nice..............

Iain

Post #79209 25th Oct 2010 4:42 pm
another one

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi Shilen

I too had the same decision as you to make. My FL2 was due for change in September and i really liked my FL2 HSE and was looking forward to the facelift but was disappointed with the minor changes. The new Sd4 engine sounds good but in the end i upped my budget a little and ended up with a Q5 3.0 tdi. Although it cost about £2000 more than the FL2 it cots me less in tax and is better finished but not as well equiped but drives brilliantly.

In the end the Freelander was a great car but just wasn't as premium a product for the money as the Q5. In 3 years time i will deffinately look at the FL3 as my next car but for now i am an Audi driver.

If you do decide on a Q5 you will need to order before Christmas to get one for April, i waited five months for mine.

David

Post #79228 25th Oct 2010 8:15 pm
heliosuk

Are you able to wait for the Range Rover Evoque. That promises a lot.

Post #79240 25th Oct 2010 9:35 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I didn't expect a lot of change for 2011my, but the lack of change i must admit is rather disapointing.
I think having a two year contract is a good idea; then get FL3. Providing of course that it's going to be made in the UK?
Are there any promises it will be UK built?

Post #79252 26th Oct 2010 12:16 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

after pricing up a replacement on LR's website A whole load of other possiblilties are open IF i was to be spending the £41139.86 its just quoted for a like for like Shocked and that still needed the roof rails, tubes, tyres for the shaddow chrome wheels and the cost of transfering the DVD system in to it

If i was looking to swap, LPR have a very nicely spec'ed demo(?) D4 GS with all the kit, inc leather and DVD except satnav for £38k, which looks Cool but its black, but i quite like it on a D$ Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #79259 26th Oct 2010 10:30 am
shilen

i do like the look of the D4 but it is bigger than what I really need and i couldnt afford the chronic fuel consumption. (a work colleague had one whilst his Jag was in for repair), he had it a week, only used it to go to work and back and still ended up sticking £100 in it Shocked

The FL2 is a really nice 4x4 but unfortunately LR have priced it out of the competition. I mean £41K??? You could be having a RRS or RR for that money (maybe not new but at least nearly new!)

Been looking at the alternatives this morning and will post my findings in a few days.

Post #79263 26th Oct 2010 10:53 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

If the time was now for me to change then I would opt for the SD4 GS and then either spec leather or have it fitted after. I reckon with a bit of horse trading or going down the broker route you could get the deal for under £26k. Censored the sat nav and posh radio for another £3000.

Tenet MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #79264 26th Oct 2010 11:14 am
commando

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Look at the new Suzuki Grand Vitara.Top of the range auto petrol model plus sat nav is about £23500 before you start haggling.Diesel manual is a lot cheaper. Stornaway grey SE auto with 18" alloys

Post #79273 26th Oct 2010 2:48 pm
shilen

I could always have 3 x Fiat Panda 4x4's fully loaded Whistle

or I could buy two thirds of a Mini Countryman Whistle

Post #79274 26th Oct 2010 3:22 pm
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

There are loads of options.

Kia, Suzuki, Hyundai, Subaru, VW, Audi, Mini (!), BMW, Merc and the prices vary dramatically. I think that the issue is that the car has taken a big leap in cost, once spec'd up and people are thinking "for that money I could get a ...."

I have a slightly different look at it. I got a HSE as it came with everything that I wanted, fitted the bill getting the kids in the back, and I didn't need any extras. My experience of extras on cars are they are, almost without exception, the best way of throwing money down the drain. You never get anything back on them. (120d brand new, 24000.00, it had 4k of extras on it. 18 months old and I got 14k for it. Basically, the extras were worth nothing)

The question that I have that is slightly more concerning, or at least should be for LR is that people are getting to a price that is attracting them to rival brands because of build quality. If I were them, I would be concerned... Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #79275 26th Oct 2010 3:29 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Who's ripping you guys off for 41 grand?! I specced one with my dealer (sound like a druggy) sd4 hse, few bits, and it's coming in well under 41 grand.

You lot need to go to haggling school!!! Thumbs Up

Also, if you just want a 4x4 for the snow, A4 estate quattro? It's quicker, handles better, just as much space etc more fuel efficient, and has the same 4x4 system as the q5 Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #79276 26th Oct 2010 3:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>