Home > Technical > GS CDs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green
GS CDs

Hi there

Will be picking up my GS 07 plate in the next week or so...can the CD player play CDs loaded with MP3 music files or do you have to connect up your MP3 player?

I hope it can play MP3 CDs as you can load so much on them.

Post #34903 17th Jan 2009 2:56 pm
AHoy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I'm not certain about the GS and mp3 CD capability, but if it is the same as the XS version be aware that the system is not able to select tracks by directory/folder, it just has sequential or random selection Rolling Eyes A bit frustrating when you want the last album (directory) on the disc.

Post #34908 17th Jan 2009 3:43 pm
Grumpa 2

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: GS CDs

richardk wrote:
Hi there

Will be picking up my GS 07 plate in the next week or so...can the CD player play CDs loaded with MP3 music files or do you have to connect up your MP3 player?

I hope it can play MP3 CDs as you can load so much on them.

I have only owned my FL2 GS for a couple of weeks and I tried a disc with Mp3 music files and it wouldn,t play.
Think I read in the handbook that this is the case.

Post #34917 17th Jan 2009 5:01 pm
Firestar

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

The S and GS radios DO NOT play MP3 discs Big Cry A real penny-pinching decision by someone in LR in my humble opinion.

You'll need a 3.5mm plug to plug lead to push in the aux socket at the rear of the centre console to connect an MP3 player (hopefully it will have sufficient outupt from the headphone socket of the player).

I suppose I should be grateful the radio has an aux-in feature Shocked

Enjoy the car - we think ours is great!

Post #34921 17th Jan 2009 5:51 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

AHoy wrote:
I'm not certain about the GS and mp3 CD capability, but if it is the same as the XS version be aware that the system is not able to select tracks by directory/folder, it just has sequential or random selection Rolling Eyes A bit frustrating when you want the last album (directory) on the disc.

Ahoy

I have the SE version with the same radio as the XS you have, press the green Phone button on the steering wheel whilst playing your mp3 cd.

This will bring up a list of Artists>Artist's Album>Album Song by using the up and down buttons on the steering wheel and pressing the Gren phone to OK

Obviously if you have one folder with all your tracks in you'll just get a big list when doing this

I also have my Track ID Text on as well in the setting but i don't think that makes a difference Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #34923 17th Jan 2009 5:56 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

Firestar wrote:
The S and GS radios DO NOT play MP3 discs Big Cry A real penny-pinching decision by someone in LR in my humble opinion.

You'll need a 3.5mm plug to plug lead to push in the aux socket at the rear of the centre console to connect an MP3 player (hopefully it will have sufficient outupt from the headphone socket of the player).

Wah that's a shame! Will have to get one of those leads then. Real penny pinching as you say my wife's civic does humph!

Thanks for the info

PS I was brung up quite close to Ness Point!

7 days to go

Post #34928 17th Jan 2009 6:21 pm
Grumpa 2

Unnecessary quote removed

Wah that's a shame! Will have to get one of those leads then. Real penny pinching as you say my wife's civic does humph!

Thanks for the info

7 days to go[/quote]

Yes, as the reply above states you need a lead with 3.5mm plugs on either end. Got mine from Halfords, if you want to use an Mp3 player.

Last edited by Grumpa 2 on 17th Jan 2009 9:32 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #34930 17th Jan 2009 7:30 pm
AHoy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:
I have the SE version with the same radio as the XS you have, press the green Phone button on the steering wheel whilst playing your mp3 cd.

This will bring up a list of Artists>Artist's Album>Album Song by using the up and down buttons on the steering wheel and pressing the Gren phone to OK

Npinks - where did you find that info? I thought I had read every page of the handbook at least twice Confused
I have since found some extra data in the book on using the rotary menu control to access folders so two methods to try next time.

Thanks.

Post #34939 17th Jan 2009 9:16 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i just came across it, don't recall reading it in the manual, as i don't recall reading the manual Very Happy Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #34946 17th Jan 2009 10:36 pm
Grumpa 2

To answer the original post, it says on page 259 of the handbook.......

MP3 FILE PLAYBACK
Note: Standard audio units do not have the facility to play MP3 files.

Post #34948 17th Jan 2009 10:58 pm
dick

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Baltic Blue

AHoy wrote:
I have since found some extra data in the book on using the rotary menu control to access folders so two methods to try next time.

As far as I can tell, the rotary knob and the steering wheel buttons both do exactly the same thing in all stereo modes.

- Dick

Post #34968 18th Jan 2009 1:32 pm
Magic Man

Wales 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue

Yep, pressing the right knob when playing an mp3 disc on the premium sets will put it into navigation mode, i.e. you use the dial to scroll up/down through tracks and directories/sub-directories if the disc contains them - pressing the knob selects.

Also, the options available via the menu button (cd text) allow the id3 tag info name of the track to be displayed rather than just the track number. FL2 TD4 XS manual, XS style pack, Martinique Blue

Post #38946 17th Mar 2009 12:29 am
Northsea Medic

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

richardk wrote:
Firestar wrote:

Thanks for the info

7 days to go

I don’t think Ness Point is entirely true is it! Obviously not wanting to give your real location away on here would I be correct in saying that on my numerous trips from OB to the dump over the weekend I would have passed your house???

Post #38973 17th Mar 2009 5:19 pm
arcturus

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue

Actually, i don't think the fact that the GS can't play MP3 CD's is such a big deal. After all, a CD can only hold 800MB of songs wheras the smallest modern MP3 player holds much more than that. Plus CD's get scratched over time - MP3 players don't. I also found it a pain to have to change the CD to get the track you want when i had that system in a previous car. That's not an issue with an MP3 player.

Now what would be really neat would be the Freelander audio system having it's own memory that you could upload music to. Then you wouldn't need CD's or an MP3 player!! 80GB would be enough for my current collection!!

Post #38993 17th Mar 2009 11:36 pm
Dougden

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I use an "old" apple 4GB ipod plugged into the aux socket on the centre consul.(via a cable into the ipod headphone socket) Works as well as the radio. Holds about 1400 tracks.

Turn it on, press AUX and away it goes. All changes are made through the ipod though, nothing apart from the volume seems to work from the car controls. FL2 TD4 XS Santorini

Post #39002 18th Mar 2009 12:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>