« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Tips & Tricks > Towing insider knowledge
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red
Towing insider knowledge

Just about to collect a small camping trailer that ebay has thrown up. Before there's any insult sent my way its definitley not a caravan - no roof and it isn't to get me into the habit either. Just trips to tip, camping, UK hols that sort of thing. We seem to have outgrown the internal capacity of the FL2 and roof box all at one go!!

Can anybody fill me in with a bit of basic trailer info. Towing weight not a problem (as it is only small <400kgs) but what about maximum speeds whilst towing, nose weight (don't think it will be a problem but then I don't know) any places I can't take it legally eg lane 3 on the m-way. What about breakaway cables etc (its not braked), signage requirements beside numberplate and lighting.

Any direction to useful info would be great.

Obviously I intend to do the nerdy thing and practice reversing before I have to (and look a complete fool with it under the back wheels!!!)

Thanks in advance - I know you can all be sensible!!! Thumbs Up There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #75877 13th Sep 2010 1:47 pm
andyfr

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

The maximum speeds are:

60 motorway.
50 NSL except on dual carriageways when it's 60.
Not sure about lane three rule.

You just need lights and number plate. Andyfr

Post #75878 13th Sep 2010 2:03 pm
ttc546

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Reversing Tip:- I have a small trailer for towing my dogs flyball equipment around. I cannot see the trailer at all from the driving position, and so makes it impossible to see how to reverse the trailer. So attach a small pole on each rear corner of the trailer just high enough so you can see it from the drivers position. That way, when you reverse, you will know which way the trailer is ending up and can correct accordingly. Thumbs Up Chris

Post #75879 13th Sep 2010 2:13 pm
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

You cannot use Lane 3 with any type of trailer.

Bill Turner. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #75880 13th Sep 2010 2:17 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

ttc546 wrote:
Reversing Tip:- . So attach a small pole on each rear corner of the trailer just high enough so you can see it from the drivers position.

good tip Thumbs Up I made an extra height tailgate for my trailer for the same reason.

often the easy way to reverse a trailer is to open the door and lean out to see back and always try to reverse so the trailer angles on the drivers side, this works a treat in a defender due to the straight up seat position, not so good in vehicles for people with spines.

I think may will struggle to learn with a small short trailer as they react very fast to steering, so dont assume that you cant do it when you first try and struggle a bit. a long trailer is ideal for learners At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #75881 13th Sep 2010 2:28 pm
gmcowan

Scotland 

Regarding reversing - with these small light trailers that are invisible i would decouple and push it - particularly if you are only going to use it occasionally.

The risk otherwise is getting it wrong once and hitting your own bumper which will cost £££££

Post #75885 13th Sep 2010 2:49 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

when i used to tow a small jetski trailer it was a nightmare reversing it, much easier to unhitch and push unless you were just reversing in a straight line

as said above, no lane 3 and remember your towing and watch your speed, i sometimes forget with a caravan in tow, never mind a light weight trailer Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #75886 13th Sep 2010 3:27 pm
gmcowan

Scotland 

yeah - another tip
If you can't see it you will forget it at some point.
I put a note on my dashboard!

Post #75890 13th Sep 2010 4:19 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Re: Towing insider knowledge

[quote="DrownedRat"]
...... nose weight (don't think it will be a problem but then I don't know) ...... What about breakaway cables etc (its not braked), signage requirements beside numberplate and lighting.

Nose weight - your cars limit is 150kg so it's doubtfull you'll get near that, spread the load evenly if you can, heavy stuff (Tent /poles + beer) at the bottom lighter stuff higher up.
Breakaway cable - The idea is that this will pull the brakes on if you don't couple it up properly, you don't have brakes so you won't have one. But for piece of mind you could easily/cheaply fit one. ('Go' in Pudsey has them I think)
Tyres - If they are older than 5 years then it's 'recommended' that you replace them even if the tread is good Big Cry . There will be a date code on the side of the tyres week/year e.g 2606 = week 26 2006.
What about a spare wheel also + cheap scissor jack?, the last thing you want want is puncture and no spare when you've just set off on your jollies (man speaks with experience, been there done that Thumbs Up )

Post #75895 13th Sep 2010 5:07 pm
Nazca Sand Eddie

United Kingdom 

Use of lanes on motorway-

You can use all the lanes of a motorway, except when there are more than 2, in that case you cannot use the extreme outside lane.

eg. 3 lane motorway..can use lanes 1 & 2, cannot use lane 3.
4 lane motorway...can use lanes 1 & 2 & 3, cannot use lane 4.

Also of course, situations like motorway splits, roadworks, accidents, police directions override the rule.

Post #75901 13th Sep 2010 5:53 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Also of course, situations like CG towing his new garden tractor home from West Sussex override the rule. Whistle At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #75908 13th Sep 2010 7:17 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Stornoway Freels are allowed in the 'fast' lane aren't they...and 80's the limit isn't it?! Whistle

Most small trailers have a small chain that loops over the tow ball before the tailer hitch therefore removing the need for an emergency brake Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #75922 13th Sep 2010 8:13 pm
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

Thanks chaps

all excellent ideas and recommendations. Thumbs Up

Picked the little 'un up last night and you are right - cant' see it at all so very esay to forget its attached. The pole idea is a good one - even if as suggested reversing will be better to un hitch and move by hand - at least you know it is still there. A small sign on thr dash also makes sense - maybe i'll make my millions from that?!?

Thanks for clarification on speeds and lanes, and tyres - worth noting as they do look brand new but I know that it has been stored on end in the dry - i'll take a look.

Anyone else got any ideas - more than welcome.

Cheers

DR There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #75989 14th Sep 2010 7:22 pm
LRCRAZY321

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

Guys i drive a lorry for a living and one simple tip i can give you to make your life so much easier is this:
Whatever lock you take off or on you must immediately put back on or off,that is to say in laymans terms if you turn the wheel one quarter turn you must take it off a quarter turn immediately or you will start to jack knife….simples Thumbs Up

Post #130546 4th Feb 2012 1:31 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Caravans are so much easier to tow than diddy trailers Whistle 'cos you can see them all the time! Take it off and turn it round rather than try to reverse it. By the time you see it in your mirror it'll likely be too late.

Surely, if it doesn't have braked wheels then there's no need for a breakaway cable? This just applies the brakes if the hitch fails for some reason.

Nose weight won't be a problem unless you're transporting far too much contraband liquor on the way home!

Enjoy - we had a camping trailer for years when the kids were young and we couldn't afford the best possible solution (that's a Bailey caravan, of course Thumbs Up ). Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #130564 4th Feb 2012 3:44 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>