Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Green laning in Derbyshire (Some hints perhaps)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Green laning in Derbyshire (Some hints perhaps)

Looking at taking my FL2 into the peak district and yes I have read the off roading post in the hints forum.

The thing is though, the routes are apparently fairly basic and the FL2 is good off road but what about the tyres?
The goodyear all weather tyres are standard on my car and are these capable of basic off roading or are they totally useless?

Please tell me what you think of the pictures of stanage edge on the below website. The HDC will be useful over those rocks but is the FL2 going to have insufficient ground clearance?

http://maythegreenovalbewithyou.piczo.com/...var=000044

So many questions Question Thumbs Up Very Happy LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #74892 30th Aug 2010 7:01 pm
Gunfa

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I've been down that track on a mountain bike, I remember thinking at the time even a Land Rover would struggle down here, hats off to the lads in the pics,s but I don't think I'd risk a FL2, the boulders a realy big in places, I had to get off a few times to negotiate my way down with the bike ! What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Post #74897 30th Aug 2010 8:05 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Anyone got any thoughts on how the standard tyres perform off road? (basic off roading/green laning) LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #74987 31st Aug 2010 11:14 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

My GY wranglers worked fine when I went offroading at tong Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #74988 31st Aug 2010 11:16 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

GY Wranglers worked very well in last years snow.
Fine for most green lanes - just make sure you
go with company, its very embarrasing getting stuck
on your own.
ATs such as General Grabbers are better off road,
but make a LOT more noise on tarmac.
Most FL2s spend 90%+ of thier time
on tarmac so Wranglers make sense.
Now a second set of wheels with mud tyres on that would
be nice - Father Christmas you listening? Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #74991 31st Aug 2010 11:30 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:
My GY wranglers worked fine when I went WADING TOO DEEP at tong

Bow down

Post #75036 1st Sep 2010 5:48 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

In most circumstances it's the way you drive, not the tyres you drive on. Judging by the LR experience day you won't get stuck if you're sensible. I agree that Stannage Edge looks a bit hairy - it's the ground clearance that's the problem. Ground clearance was my only problem on the Freel 1 - I dented both sills and broke the "sump guard"(laugh) doing a rescue on Dartmoor - it looks better on the Freel 2, but I'm ashamed to say I've not taken it off road yet!
Weather makes a big difference. Remember that driving in muddy conditions can damage the tracks and get us all a bad name.

Post #75077 1st Sep 2010 10:03 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Well guys, I am off tomorrow to a couple of routes one near castleton that leads across the hills towards a town called barber booth and then a place near hathersage which is a bridleway that runs across a moor. I purchased an OS map and both routes are byways open to all traffic (BOATS) and there are no restrictions at all. I will drive sensibly but I found the below link to an aussie off road test encouraging:

LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #75235 4th Sep 2010 2:13 pm
W.D.C.A.P.H.

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

Well done for checking the BOATs. Just make sure there are no notices posted along the way adding temporary restrictions. It's unlikely, but if there are, then please comply. We Don't Care About Pot Holes !!

Post #75247 4th Sep 2010 6:26 pm
athelstan

Okay enough of this b**ll**ks.

The DOC: there's no town called Barber Booth - it's a village at best, as is Hathersage. As WDCAPH rightly states - please comply with any temp restrictions.

I'm a Derbyshire lad (Owd Bloke Now) and my pile of Peak District stone has a stood since 1664 - family history dates back to at least 9thC on that land. Derbyshire County Council have named local lanes after us. We still farm there (no chickens CG) just sheep - Derbyshire Gritstones - worthless for meat and their fleece bless'em .

Stanage Edge is tough but a piece of p*ss compared to a traverse across Alport Castles (the Grand Canyon of the Peaks- dad kick my arse one afternoon in '74 when I broke both track rod ends and punctured the sump drunk as fart trying to impress a piece of skirt.) Defender recommended - FL2 no.

I recognize a lot of the faces on "MTGOBWY" - hardy lads n lasses.

Post #75254 4th Sep 2010 7:46 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Okay enough of this b**ll**ks.

My thoughts exactly athelstan.... Right after reading your post Rolling with laughter LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #75259 4th Sep 2010 8:24 pm
athelstan

The Doctor
If you can't tell the difference between a town and a village or hamlet on an OS map how the hell are you going to have the ability to differentiate between a footpath, bridle path, green lane or even a contour. You'll be a menace plus a danger to other users of the countryside - and - in doing so create a bad and undeserved reputation for those who "off road" sensibly and skillfully.

Post #75269 5th Sep 2010 10:59 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I am well aware Athelstan that Barber Booth is only a tiny place and I viewed the place using google street view. I simply typed the word town without putting much thought into specific facts, I never thought anybody would be nitpicking enough to go apeshit about it. Just take it easy and find something more important to get stressed about Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #75273 5th Sep 2010 12:30 pm
lmorris4975

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

The Doctor wrote:
I am well aware Athelstan that Barber Booth is only a tiny place and I viewed the place using google street view. I simply typed the word town without putting much thought into specific facts, I never thought anybody would be nitpicking enough to go apeshit about it. Just take it easy and find something more important to get stressed about Thumbs Up

Spot on Bow down

Post #75295 5th Sep 2010 6:46 pm
Trickster

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Hi

As a current FL2 owner in Derbyshire, I try to get on green lanes wherever possible, usually when on my way to meetings when I spot them travelling around the county. I usually get funny looks when hikers and mountain bikers see me coming along a green lane in my suit!! Laughing

Anyway, Houndskirk Moor is a good starter lane, which starts from Hathersage Moor (so may be the one you refer to), there are a few sections of simple rock crawling but take it steady and watch clearance and you will be cool. Tip, when you get to a cross roads, don't turn right as the lane slowly narrows and there is no gate at other end!! However left or straight on is cool.

Another short but fun lane starts from just over other side of Chatsworth bridge heading towards Rowsley, turn left after gate and brings you out on top of Beeley Moor.

Hope this helps, and have fun!!!

Post #75301 5th Sep 2010 8:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>