« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > The Sound System
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
The Sound System

I do of course realise that HSE owners have the cream of the crop sound system but for the peasants on here such as me with my GS Laughing , I still think that the standard sound system with the subwoofer in the boot is brilliant. I was listening to the frankly classic records 'Bohemian Rhapsody' by Queen and 'Whiskey in the Jar' by Thin Lizzy. Turn up the bass, crank up the subwoofer and it is ace Thumbs Up

Thoughts people Question LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #74402 21st Aug 2010 12:34 pm
Junior

England 

The stereo in an X3 is loads better Laughing

Post #74419 21st Aug 2010 5:34 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Wash your mouth out with soap young man LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #74422 21st Aug 2010 5:40 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

The Alpine system is the best part of my FL2. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #74426 21st Aug 2010 6:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Junior

England 

Still not sold her EV, I knew you loved her really Thumbs Up

Post #74437 21st Aug 2010 10:17 pm
The Valeter

Junior wrote:
Still not sold her EV, I knew you loved her really Thumbs Up

Hardly used it in the last 2 months lol. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #74441 22nd Aug 2010 1:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jibers

United Kingdom 

I'm due to pick up my11 HSE in October and have never heard any of the audio systems in the FL2. I've always upgraded audio systems in previous cars.
Is it really that good?
Will it need a bit of running in like good speakers do?
Can't wait to crank it up!!!

Post #74445 22nd Aug 2010 8:51 am
jutrem

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Tonga Green

The LR2 Alpine 14 speaker Dolby II Surround sound system is great. It doesn't look fancy with it's plain green display (compared to some of the competition) but it sounds better.

Post #74630 25th Aug 2010 2:47 pm
The Valeter

jutrem wrote:
The LR2 Alpine 14 speaker Dolby II Surround sound system is great. It doesn't look fancy with it's plain green display (compared to some of the competition) but it sounds better.

Yes the system is very good for a factory unit but obviously not as good as aftermarket but then that also depends on what aftermarket system you buy & how much you want to spend.

I agree the green display is horrid & basic. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.

Post #74634 25th Aug 2010 3:17 pm
incubus

I'm really not a fan of the stereo in the LR2 (original batch - they may have improved it since). It does the job but does it quite badly even by the standards of what was available OEM when the car was registered. I've got the enhanced radio with single CD and the only thing I ma impressed with it bluetooth integration with my old Nokia (though it is more trouble than it is worth with my O2 XDA). The CD player is a particular nuisance if playing MP3s (which I mostly do) as it lacks the buffer to pre-load the next track leaving a 5 second or more gap between songs.

I can't even change the thing out without completely ripping out the existing system including, it would seem, the speakers and starting afresh!

Post #74683 26th Aug 2010 10:24 am
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I was pretty much underwhelmed when I first tried out the FM radio in the HSE. Things got slightly better when I adjusted the settings and better again when I tried out the DAB radio, although I don't like the reception on local radio using DAB "sound keeps breaking up, much better on national channels but still not perfect". Then used the CD with Dolby and 'wow' what a difference to the sound quality throughout the car, probably the best standard fit sound system I have had the pleasure of owning. Don't even mind the green display "never did like those flashy graphic equalisers".
My Ipod works great through the AUX 3.5-3.5mm jack, I haven't experienced any problems with my bluetooth connection and was surprised to find I had voice dialling using the red/green switches on the outer edge of the steering column, despite the dealer saying voice activated calling wasn't possible.

Post #74698 26th Aug 2010 1:59 pm
stownrow

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Indus Silver

Wing wrote:
I was pretty much underwhelmed when I first tried out the FM radio in the HSE. Things got slightly better when I adjusted the settings and better again when I tried out the DAB radio, although I don't like the reception on local radio using DAB "sound keeps breaking up, much better on national channels but still not perfect". Then used the CD with Dolby and 'wow' what a difference to the sound quality throughout the car, probably the best standard fit sound system I have had the pleasure of owning. Don't even mind the green display "never did like those flashy graphic equalisers".
My Ipod works great through the AUX 3.5-3.5mm jack, I haven't experienced any problems with my bluetooth connection and was surprised to find I had voice dialling using the red/green switches on the outer edge of the steering column, despite the dealer saying voice activated calling wasn't possible.

Hey how did you get voice dialling to work?

Cheers.

Post #74702 26th Aug 2010 2:23 pm
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

stownrow wrote:

Hey how did you get voice dialling to work?

Cheers.

When I picked her up from the dealers I asked if voice activated dialling was possible and was told unfortunately no! My previous car BMW 320CD (E46) had a nokia car kit installed and voice activated dialling was via the car kit and my nokia phone, so my phone was already set up to allow voice activated dialling.

I looked around to see if there was any obvious microphone fitted to the FL2, there wasn't neither did the manual show one, but I noticed the green and red 'call/end call' switches alongside the steering wheel so I tried it "once connected via bluetooth" unfortunately without success, then I tried it again after pressing the phone button "on the right of the radio panel" so the car information display showed my phone 'named'. This time I held the green call switch toward me for about 6 seconds, after which I heard my phones tell tale warble to indicate it was waiting for me to speak a name from my directory and then it dialled the number for me, muting the radio just as my previous Beemer had done.
The green and red buttons work as suggested, but the voice acknowledgement "phone repeating the name I called" doesn't come over the car speakers like my previous car, instead it's repeated from the phones built in speaker, other than that it works just as my last car kit.

I still don't know where the microphone is that is picking up my voice commands. Maybe it is the phone itself, although I doubt it, as it was sensitive to background noise in the past", Also it will not work if I haven't pressed the phone button on the dash in the first place to show my phone in the information panel.

When I receive a call it's the phone that rings, but there is a setting in the cars menu to have the phone ringing as normal or to use one of the cars built in ring tones. If I select one of the cars ring tones I'd expect my voice confirmations to come over the speakers rather than the phones built in speaker, so I'll try that later.

Good luck

Post #74705 26th Aug 2010 4:18 pm
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Yep, works for me too.

iPhone 3Gs and 4 let you control the device as well. The Audio system works by you pressing the button for the device you want to control first, so to do stuff with the phone press the phone button first, CD / Aux press that first...

Anyway, mine is always on phone unless I am listening to the wireless. That way you can use voice control to operate the iPod, make calls etc. Excellent value for money... (although some of the interpretation can be a bit dodgy sometimes... just have to speak clearly!) Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #74707 26th Aug 2010 4:37 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

My 2007 standard audio system is rubbish. Not having autochange means I don't get round to listening to CDs, and the sound quality, after my Harmon-Kardon in the Disco, is so bad I don't even try to listen to Radio 3 any more. And yes I have tried to adjust it. It's the only bit of the car that doesn't get an "excellent" rating from me. The enhanced version may be better, as indeed may be the newer models, but mine is a definite disappointment.

Post #74709 26th Aug 2010 5:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>