Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Haldex to be replaced, but is it safe until then?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey
Haldex to be replaced, but is it safe until then?

I have the 2010MY FL' since january, and after tons of complaints and getting my lawyer involved, I got the dealer look in to it.

They had my car for a week now, and they say that after testing etc. they identified Haldex needs to be replaced. They say it's safe to drive so I can get my car back, and they will have the parts in two weeks and they will call for replacement, adding it is safe to drive the car.

I have been driving it with the vibration since 6 months (20.000 km) but is it really safe to drive the car with a faulty (vibration causing) haldex? Anyone had a similar problem with it before? 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #74198 18th Aug 2010 8:38 am
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

What were vibration symptoms? My 2010my GS Auto has had problems. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #74251 18th Aug 2010 8:48 pm
Wintermute

It feels kinda wobbly, and around 130 km/h and up has vibrations as if tyres out of balance. When driving alone I can see the front passenger seat vibrate.

Dealership tried balancing the wheels, no luck, then fitted a complete set of wheels from another car, no luck.

They were thinkin it were one of the axles being bent, so tried one by one each axle and shaft, no luck. They fitted a haldex from another car, bingo. They say at least. Now I am waiting for the nex haldex to try it out myself. 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone

Post #74381 20th Aug 2010 5:05 pm
alex_pescaru

If really is the Haldex Unit, the vibration could be given only by its mechanical system, more exactly the input bearing. Otherwise there is no way that the Haldex Unit could give vibrations, especially at a specific speed.
Maybe it is one of the bearings of the propeller shaft, till the Haldex Unit... And when they changed the Haldex, they needed to dismantle it too.

Post #74412 21st Aug 2010 2:30 pm
Wintermute

Alex

You mean replacing haldex wont fix it? 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone

Post #74423 21st Aug 2010 5:41 pm
alex_pescaru

No, I mean that the Haldex Unit is a compact unit that generally doesn't generates those kind of vibrations.
Lets think a little...
The vibrations you are talking about are vibrations with relatively low frequency - from a repetitive point of view.
In the same time, the powertrain of a car - the transmission shaft and final axes are elements with low rotational speed.
So those things added together means that those vibrations must be generated only by big masses - elementary physics.
We all know that the wheels are in the most of the cases guilty - like i've said - big masses.
But seems that this isn't the case.
Also a big mass is the main front-end transmission shaft and its fixing elements.
Back to the Haldex unit, the elements/components of a Haldex Unit are small in size and in my opinion can't generate those kind of vibrations. But I could be wrong...
Just my 2 cents.

Post #74429 21st Aug 2010 8:47 pm
Wintermute

I'll let you know when they replace it. The service manager said that they tried another haldex from another car, and it solved the problem. Now the car has the original on it, and the vibrations are there.

I am going to see the result of a new one, when they change it in a few weeks.

If no solution by then, then the car is definately going back. 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone

Post #74475 22nd Aug 2010 9:13 pm
Wintermute

Hi Alex,

You were right. They replaced the Haldex and I got the car back. The only differences I can recall are that they washed my car, and the fuel consumption got worse. Censored

Vibration issue has not changed any bit.

They asked for some more time to check it with LR, I gave them time until en of this month time, before we see eachother in court, or I get my payment for the car refunded. Evil or Very Mad 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone

Post #76797 24th Sep 2010 9:34 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1