Home > General > Weird interior knocking sound
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Weird interior knocking sound

Opinions on this please:

When accelerating away or sometimes when braking, there is just a single knock that can be heard from down the right hand side of the car somewhere from behind the drivers seat to the back of the car. I am sure it is coming from down the side somewhere. Question LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #74180 17th Aug 2010 9:06 pm
stownrow

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Indus Silver
Re: Weird interior knocking sound

The Doctor wrote:
Opinions on this please:

When accelerating away or sometimes when braking, there is just a single knock that can be heard from down the right hand side of the car somewhere from behind the drivers seat to the back of the car. I am sure it is coming from down the side somewhere. Question

I have also heard this in my 2010 GS. Thought it might be to do with the rear seat belt bolt?! but not sure....

Post #74181 17th Aug 2010 9:18 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Nothing loose in the boot or spare wheel compartment Question ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #74213 18th Aug 2010 12:59 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

I hope you dont have the dreaded unknown knocking noise that plagued my FL2 for 12 months. Do you also get the noise when going over a bumpy road? I was getting the noise when accelerating and braking originally but noticed that when going over a bump it also occured. Originally I thought it was something like the rear seat belt banging or the rear seat squab not 'seated' correctly that would cause its locking catch to bang on the bodywork. I then emptied the boot thinking it was the spare wheel causing the noise - all were wrong.

When I first noticed the noise it was quite a quiet knocking noise and over time is became louder and more frequent - are these your symptoms?

It was a nightmare fix, first dealer I went to kept the car for a day and couldnt hear the noise (technician must have been deaf) and after taking another technician out he heard the noise and suggested it was something inside the rear passenger door. Another day at the dealer and the noise was still there after the door had been stripped down and put back together. They gave up in the end and told me to try somewhere else (i kid you not!) Another dealer, hoping to rubbish the other dealer, accepted my FL2 with open arms and had a test drive and suggested it was suspension related. A week at the dealer and upon collection the noise was still there. Another week at the dealer suggested it was the drivers seat (?) and again they were wrong (although I got a new drivers seat out of it!) Their third and final attempt (I was getting ready to reject the vehicle) cured it but the only explanation I got was it involved a technican 3 days of keyhole surgery and was something to do with the chassis.

Sorry I cannot be of more help but all I can suggest is you get a technician to go out with you so you can demonstrate the noise - and be persistant!!! Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #74277 19th Aug 2010 9:19 am
j77

Scotland 

I had this problem, when i took it to the dealers they said it was where the panels meet at the bottom of the A-piller, booked it in for afew hours and i have lived a knock free life for ayear now. hope this helps Thumbs Up

Post #74287 19th Aug 2010 11:42 am
John-Boy

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Galway Green

j77 wrote:
I had this problem, when i took it to the dealers they said it was where the panels meet at the bottom of the A-piller, booked it in for afew hours and i have lived a knock free life for ayear now. hope this helps Thumbs Up

Same with my 2009-10 TD4-e. There is a LR Data sheet showing how to eliminate the problem.

Post #74291 19th Aug 2010 12:47 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Thanks shilen and you other guys. I will have this looked at. It does sometimes occur on bumpy roads also. Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #74309 19th Aug 2010 6:38 pm
athelstan

John-Boy wrote:
j77 wrote:

Same with my 2009-10 TD4-e. There is a LR Data sheet showing how to eliminate the problem.

Do you know the Land Rover reference number of the Data Sheet / SSM Question

It would be helpful material for other owners that may at some point suffer from the same phenomenon Idea

Post #74358 20th Aug 2010 10:05 am
John-Boy

Sorry Athelstan, the Service Manager showed me a copy when I collected the car but I did not make a note of its number.

I remember it included a colour picture of the A pillar with the trim removed showing the part causing the problem.

No new parts were needed. the two parts just needed 'adjusting' to increase the clearance.

Post #74359 20th Aug 2010 11:14 am
stownrow

John-Boy wrote:
Sorry Athelstan, the Service Manager showed me a copy when I collected the car but I did not make a note of its number.

I remember it included a colour picture of the A pillar with the trim removed showing the part causing the problem.

No new parts were needed. the two parts just needed 'adjusting' to increase the clearance.

hello! Do you mean the B or the C pillar?

Thanks.

Post #74386 20th Aug 2010 7:45 pm
John-Boy

stownrow wrote:
John-Boy wrote:

Thanks.

It is on the right side of the driver's footwell, at the bottom of the pillar which carries the windscreen.

John

Post #74388 20th Aug 2010 9:28 pm
stownrow

John-Boy wrote:
stownrow wrote:
John-Boy wrote:

Thanks.

It is on the right side of the driver's footwell, at the bottom of the pillar which carries the windscreen.

John

ah sounds like mines coming from the rear!

Post #74389 20th Aug 2010 9:48 pm
John-Boy

stownrow wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
stownrow wrote:
John-Boy wrote:

Thanks.

John

ah sounds like mines coming from the rear!

I thought my rattle was coming from the rear until the mechanic drove the car and said he thought it was from the front!

There is another rattle that has been discussed on Freel2 which comes from the rear shock absorbers.

Yours could be either, I guess.

Post #74393 20th Aug 2010 10:42 pm
alex_pescaru

athelstan wrote:
Do you know the Land Rover reference number of the Data Sheet / SSM Question

For the front sound, at the base of A pillar: SSM39853 - Freelander 2 / LR2 Body Creak

Post #74408 21st Aug 2010 2:15 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I finally got my car booked in today and all sorted now. As others said it was indeed panels in the A-pillar and the dealer said they were rubbing together and Land Rover were aware of this problem that occurs for some owners.

Great service by the way if anyone is considering purchasing a car from Stratstone Nottingham or just wants service or repairs. Collected car from my workplace in Derby and dropped it back approx 5 hours later all done. The other day I ordered some paint touch up kit for minor stone chips from their parts department and it was less than a fiver including postage! Great dealer. Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #75497 8th Sep 2010 8:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>