« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > FL2 is not gloom and doom
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
FL2 is not gloom and doom

I'm more than pleased with my FL2. I get a bit annoyed with some who knock the vehicle for some reason or another. Of course you're going get problems, all new cars do.
I've had some minor problems with my FL2.
I've driven and owned all sorts over almost 40 years and FL2 is up there with the best.
Of course it's flawed, they all are in some way or another, but it's the best SUV by a long chalk on the market today.
If you've got short pockets and like to winge, don't by any Landrover. But I just love 'em, nothing else compares!
And it's keeping our lads in jobs.
The phrase 'shoot ourselves in the foot' springs to mind.

Post #73233 3rd Aug 2010 1:12 am
charliefoxtrot999

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2010 HSE Galway Green auto GONE

Post #73240 3rd Aug 2010 7:29 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

Unfortunately there are some of us that have had more than a few 'minor' problems but the biggest issue seems to be the incompetancy of the dealers, granted no 2 dealers are the same so its a bit of a postcode lottery but take the last 2 vehicles i have owned:-

1) BMW 3 Series, 2 weeks old and wouldnt start, trailered to dealer and given a 5 series for a week until it was sorted. 2 years old had a major gearbox fault, again taken to dealer and given a brand new 3 series for a week until it was sorted - got informed of progress every couple of days

2) Landrover Freelander 2, 3 months old and developed a knocking noise, taken to dealer twice and they couldnt diagnose, told to go somewhere else, went to another dealer, had a courtesy FL2 for a week, picked up my vehicle to be told all sorted, drove out and discovered it hadnt and also noticed dent in bonnet which wasnt there before. Dealer denied all responsibility for damage to my car so had to pay for it to be repaired myself! Took a further 2 x 1 week stays at the dealer to be eventually fixed, in the meantime supplying dealer wouldnt return any of my calls / emails (was ready to reject vehicle!) and LR Customer Support totally uninterested. Whole process to get fixed eventually took 12 MONTHS!!!!

I rest my case............

Post #73245 3rd Aug 2010 9:02 am
Marky

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

shilen wrote:
Unfortunately there are some of us that have had more than a few 'minor' problems but the biggest issue seems to be the incompetancy of the dealers, granted no 2 dealers are the same so its a bit of a postcode lottery but take the last 2 vehicles i have owned:-

1) BMW 3 Series, 2 weeks old and wouldnt start, trailered to dealer and given a 5 series for a week until it was sorted. 2 years old had a major gearbox fault, again taken to dealer and given a brand new 3 series for a week until it was sorted - got informed of progress every couple of days

2) Landrover Freelander 2, 3 months old and developed a knocking noise, taken to dealer twice and they couldnt diagnose, told to go somewhere else, went to another dealer, had a courtesy FL2 for a week, picked up my vehicle to be told all sorted, drove out and discovered it hadnt and also noticed dent in bonnet which wasnt there before. Dealer denied all responsibility for damage to my car so had to pay for it to be repaired myself! Took a further 2 x 1 week stays at the dealer to be eventually fixed, in the meantime supplying dealer wouldnt return any of my calls / emails (was ready to reject vehicle!) and LR Customer Support totally uninterested. Whole process to get fixed eventually took 12 MONTHS!!!!

I rest my case............

With you there Shilen, my last car (audi) was appraoching three years old, took the car in for an end of warranty check, they found a few issues which were rectified and the lousy b******ds only went and MOT'd it and valetted it for free ........... total cost to me £0..... was I impressed with the service ?
Due to family circs, decided that we needed an suv...... colleague at work and reviews swayed me towards FL2. When I went to make enquiries along the line of 'I'd like to buy a nearly new FL2 but if the deal is right I'll have a new one'...... the half wit I spoke to told me that he couldnt get one new or used and that it wasn't the norm to offer test drives unless I was a serious buyer Confused

Went to the next dealer and they couldn't do enough, I know I got a good deal and so far I am very impressed with the car and have had no issues what so ever after four months. My only sadness is that it doesn't drive like my audi did but thats not the freely's fault is it. Great car and my impression is the dealer network is hit and miss sadly.

I have had a lot of german marques and I honestly believe that the build quality is comparable Thumbs Up 2010 FL2 XS Auto in Santorini Black with HSE alloys

Post #73261 3rd Aug 2010 4:24 pm
wingit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

I've got to agree with you guys:
It's not so much the vehicle, because as we all know, all cars develop faults.
The difference between dealerships is, to my mind absolutely amazing and incredible!
I bought my FL2 (2010) a couple of months ago, so I can't tell at the moment whether my dealer is going to step up to the mark when it comes to any possible problems in the future (if any).
But, prior to buying the FL2, I visited 2 dealers.
The difference was like chalk and cheese.
So, it is definitely the dealership that counts, not so much the problems.

Post #73266 3rd Aug 2010 5:03 pm
athelstan

Re Car Sales Persons

Someone I know back in the UK (currently drives large Mercedes bought new Q4 2008 and has not really enjoyed it at all -too many small irritating faults) visited his local enormous BMW garage approximately 3 weeks ago middle of the week. Inside the showroom was a new estate car all priced up and ready to go. So he said to the sales person something like this: "That's perfect just as it is - can you have it registered on-the-road ready tomorrow" and "what will you'll give for the Merc in part exchange'". The sales person replied that he was unable to answer either of his questions until he'd opened a client file on their database, and to do that he'd first need his name, address and 'phone numbers etc.. There was no sale.

A few days later after finishing a round of golf he gave his playing partner a lift to the LR garage to collect her RRS. There he saw a new D4 - and yes he presented the same questions to the LR sales person. Chap concerned said yes it's possible and quoted a PX price - no need for file opening or contact details etc.. He's now awaiting delivery of a D4 (not the one in the showroom - whilst going through the numbers he flicked through the D4 brochure and decided on a different colour and extra options.)

So there are professional people who know how to sell and just simple minded sales persons. As there are service managers who serve and managers whose service sucks. Thankfully in this case it was LR good - BMW bad.

Post #73267 3rd Aug 2010 5:18 pm
sam7

You should try having a Renault!

I once had a Megane from new and was in the garage every 3-6 months for the whole 3 years I had it!

The first thing that went wrong was the hand brake assembly. Fixed fairly quickly. Then the back seat broke - again fixed fairly quickly. After a year the gear box refused to come out of 2nd gear - very scary driving out of the service station onto the M1 - stuck in 2nd. Fixed fairly quickly (complete new gear box), but obviously starting to get very worried! There were various small niggles, and then I had a strange noise from the engine. I thought it sounded like bearings, but Renault thought it was the cam belt - or some other belt. I went back and forth for 2 weeks trying to get it solved. Fed up I went to Vauxhall who agreed with me that it sounded like bearings. I was on my way to Renault to tell them and smoke starting to come out of my engine. The AA towed it to Renault - the alternator bearings had gone - however had destroyed the various belts and tensioners so again the lot replaced.

It then failed its MOT because some bolts were missing from the suspension arm!!

At this point I should point out I only used the car for commuting - motorway driving only!!!

Anyway, the point is, whilst this is not good enough, and at the time I was very disappointed with the car, I now believe it was the best small family car I have ever owned! It was simply brilliant. Would I have a Renault again, possibly. Do I care my FL2 has some problems... no - because it is simply amazing. (This is not an excuse for LR to not improve reliability though!)

Post #73274 3rd Aug 2010 8:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1