Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > The FL2 Engine
Is the engine just about right for power or do you think it really needs more?
About right
56%
 56%  [25]
More power
43%
 43%  [19]
Total Votes: 44

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I'm afraid I fall in the more power camp.

It is ok, but the safer overtaking argument always springs to mind, especially if you live in the rural parts of the world and have to contend with (delete as appropriate) caravans, tractors, old people, sunday drivers, people that are lost, people that soon will be lost, people that shouldn't be allowed out when it is dark and there are not to many safe places to pass.

This is compounded by the fact that normally behind said problem there are 2 or 3 people that fall into the same group and won't pass....

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to hare about, but on roads that have a 60mph speed limit, I prefer to be nearer 60 than say 40. The problem is, to safely overtake something doing 40mph, you need a car that will get up to 70 from 40 mph quickly. The 190 bhp one will be pretty good I would think. Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #72748 26th Jul 2010 10:44 am
Kangy

Australia 

Buy the Petrol if you want that instant power and drive mostly on the rd.

I drive my Diesel mostly on the rd,but its economical and dont mind the power of it,going up hills or overtaking,its sufficient for me.

When offroad thats where i love the torque of the diesel, picking my way through obstacles,you dont drive fast there,otherwise you can do damage or get into trouble.

Must admit i take a chance and drive quicker on the gravel rd using Terrain Response,feels like driving on rails.

Post #72797 27th Jul 2010 3:57 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

xtattsbox wrote:
I'm afraid I fall in the more power camp.

It is ok, but the safer overtaking argument always springs to mind, especially if you live in the rural parts of the world and have to contend with (delete as appropriate) caravans, tractors, old people, sunday drivers, people that are lost, people that soon will be lost, people that shouldn't be allowed out when it is dark and there are not to many safe places to pass.

This is compounded by the fact that normally behind said problem there are 2 or 3 people that fall into the same group and won't pass....

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to hare about, but on roads that have a 60mph speed limit, I prefer to be nearer 60 than say 40. The problem is, to safely overtake something doing 40mph, you need a car that will get up to 70 from 40 mph quickly. The 190 bhp one will be pretty good I would think.

yes it must be really frustrating for you, but I'm sure you'll always find a way to get past !!

Iain

Post #72805 27th Jul 2010 8:57 am
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

iain cooper wrote:

yes it must be really frustrating for you, but I'm sure you'll always find a way to get past !!

Iain

Not this morning, stayed in Aldeburgh last night and then had to come to Bury St Edmunds to work. Normally can leave at 7.30 and it takes an hour ish. 1 hr 20 mins this morning. Some numpty quite happy sitting behind an artic doing 30 mph (not his fault, roads not suitable for getting 38 tonnes moving quickly) the two blokes behind the numpty were getting very annoyed!!! Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #72808 27th Jul 2010 9:32 am
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

If you have plenty of money to burn then why dont you have the engine bored out to the max, have over sized rings and pistons fitted and then have a super charger fitted and programed in that will do it Bow down

Post #72848 27th Jul 2010 6:00 pm
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

Sort of strange reading all this. I bought a Land Rover not a sports car. I came out of a much sportier car and was actually expecting to be now driving a slug. I have been pleasantly surprised, the td4 is much better than I imagined. For those needing more power, they can be re chipped? Boosts the torque up to 450 nm And increase the horses by 28. Personally I'm happy how it is. Mike

Post #73701 9th Aug 2010 11:14 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Mike,
How right you are. No, it's not a sports car and for those who think it is, you shoudn't have bought one in the first place. I'm lucky in that i've got a nice two seater sports but it's no use in the floods/snow/mud and so on.
I've got my FL2 for what it's intended for; and it's not power or speed. It's the family workhorse and just happens to be very good on the road.
Strangely enough, the youngsters in our family love the FL2 so much that the sports car hardly gets used.
Nough said!!

Post #73702 10th Aug 2010 12:44 am
Ricardo

United Kingdom 

From the (UK) MY11 product Brief:

The Freelander 11MY programme introduces two new diesel engine versions; a 150hp version is available with both 6 speed manual and 6 speed automatic transmissions while a high powered 190hp version is available with 6 speed automatic transmission.

The engine change will be supported by a revised badging strategy to signify the two new diesel power outputs with the 150hp output engines being badged as 'TD4' and 190hp output engines being badged 'SD4'. Examples of the new badging strategy are as follows. TD4 manual versions will no longer be badged TD4_e

Both versions have reduced CO2 and improved fuel economy when compared to the equivalent 10MY versions. The 11MY engines are quieter, more efficient and more responsive than the outgoing 160hp version.

Both the manual and automatic transmissions have been upgraded to reduce losses and support improvements in CO2 and fuel economy. The 6 Speed Automatic has been improved with the addition of adaptive shifting and quicker shift times. The Manual Stop / Start system has a 30% faster crank time and a lower operating temperature threshold, reduced from 4 degrees to 0 degrees.

Both versions have a Diesel Particulate Filter (cDPF) fitted as standard, a requirement to achieve EU5 emissions legislation which comes into effect from 1 January 2011. A diesel mis-fuelling protection device also features.

The SD4 and TD4 engines have been approved for use with B10 biodiesel fuel. 2011 SD4 HSE Ipanema Sand
Gone but not forgotten - 2007 TD4 SE Izmir Blue

Post #73704 10th Aug 2010 7:46 am
TrickiDicki

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

Very interesting - in particular:

>> The 6 Speed Automatic has been improved with the addition of adaptive shifting and quicker shift times.
Hmm, would that solve my problem where the auto box won't shift into 6th at 80 kph?

>> A diesel mis-fuelling protection device also features.
How does this work? Very interested given mis-fuel at <2000kms Big Cry

Post #73705 10th Aug 2010 7:58 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

Im pleased with the power the engine gives but my only concern is the lack of instant power when pulling away, when I first had my FL2 I was getting constantly caught out by its snails pace when pulling out onto a roundabout, I have since learned to give a big enough gap before I crawl out. Hopefully the new engine will remedy this problem.

Post #73709 10th Aug 2010 8:58 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12