« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Events > Pay & Play ...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Pay & Play ...

I'm hoping to go 'pay & play' in a disused quarry this weekend.

Anyone tried their pride and joy in this sort of environment?

I've been to watch a couple of times at the venue (nr Chester) there seems to be something for everyone; good mix of heavily modifed vehicles as well as off the peg. Not seen anything as new as mine on the course yet.

Post #4278 3rd Jul 2007 8:56 pm
avtur

Turned up the venue Sunday morning to find I was at the back of a queue of 8 vehicles all lined up in front of a locked gate ! There was a message on the gate apologising that 'due to mechanical problems' the site wouldn't be open that day. I guess the regulars/members were somehow told about this, but us day visitors were not.

A couple of guys in line made some phone calls, they found out about another location down beyond Wrexham, so a number of us took off that way. The site was very much smaller and not surprisingly there was a lot of water about.

Certainly tested the cars wading ability ... and the effectiveness of the door seals (oops!) car performed very well, the 'mud & ruts' setting was the order of the day. The only limiting factor was the lack of ground clearance (no surprise htere). It's a shame, if it wasn't for the fuel tank the clearance would be much so better. It's surprising they've allowed the tank to cause such a restriction.

Car needed a serious clean, back home I had to get underneath with the power washer. While underneath I noticed that I had aquired a couple of extra wrinkles in the heat shield material adjacent to the fuel tank, but other than that it has survived well. Ended up polishing the car too.

Am hoping the site at Mouldsworth, Cheshire will be open next time since there is pelenty of terrain there that doesn't get flooded ...

Post #4444 9th Jul 2007 1:42 pm
superkoala

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Rimini Red

did you take pictures ? 

Post #4446 9th Jul 2007 2:15 pm
SN

England 

There's a group day being organised by the disco3 mob on 30th September if you're interested ...

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic12765.html Steve N | 21MY Defender (on order) | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)

Post #4587 13th Jul 2007 1:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

England 

Forget my link - I am an a**e - see http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic645.html Steve N | 21MY Defender (on order) | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)

Post #4588 13th Jul 2007 1:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CY

Scotland 

Come along - we need numbers Thumbs Up "CY from DISCO3"

Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #4598 13th Jul 2007 7:01 pm
cotefarmboy

United Kingdom 

Seriously, this day out is perfect for FL2 owners, no lunatics charging round in modified cars looking at the 'shiny' cars and thinking they shouldn't be there.

This day is just for D3, FL2 and RRS owners at a private location, see just how capable your car is with no pressure and minimal if any chance of damage.

You know you want to, go on, go on...........

Post #4602 13th Jul 2007 8:53 pm
CY

Scotland 

"CY from DISCO3"

Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #4603 13th Jul 2007 9:05 pm
avtur

Mouldsworth ...again ....

Been back to Mouldsworth Quarry today and had a good play with the FL2. If you take a look at the gallery you'll find pictures of what I got up to .... Was very impressed with the car, set terrain response to 'mud and ruts' plus had hill decent switched on and off we went. Was particularly impressed with axle twisting terrain where, several times, I got the car on two wheels but it still kept going. I used the advice I got from the LRE instructor which entails using first gear and keeping feet off everything going up or going down; its quite astonishing what gradients the car will pull up in this mode and then descending the HDC kicks in to keep the speed down. All in all a very impressive afternoon.

The only down side is the three+ hours it takes to clean up once home !!!! Have tried to remove all signs of what I've been up to, which means getting underneath with the power washer; but I'm not sure what to do about cleaning the engine compartment down. I'm reluctant to get too enthusiastic with the pressure washer under the bonnet, too many electrical connections there, what do other folks do ????

The pictures in the gallery do show a rather shiny motor after the clean up .....

Post #4822 22nd Jul 2007 11:08 pm
cotefarmboy

United Kingdom 

Looks pretty flooded in the bottom of the quarry, didn't fancy a bit of deep wading then Shocked

Nice to see a FL2 being used properly Thumbs Up

Post #4823 23rd Jul 2007 8:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1