« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Specify with spare wheel or the gunk
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bilun777

England 
Specify with spare wheel or the gunk

I was going to buy my new fl2 with the can of gunk and then buy a spare wheel off ebay.Then I would have both.However is it correct that if I don't specify the full size spare the car wont come with a jack and wheelbrace? Confused

Post #71538 5th Jul 2010 1:09 pm
wingit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

That's true. Jack only comes with full size wheel and tyre.
The price I paid for the wheel and tyre (inc jack) was just over £100 (£135, I think)
That's a good price for a tyre and wheel.
If your being charged the same as me, you're getting wheel, tyre and jack for a reasonable price.

p.s.

just remembered, I was told that once you use the gunk in a tyre to get you home, you have to buy a new tyre as the tyre cannot be repaired once it has gunk in it.
I'll stand to be corrected on this, but I think it's true.

Post #71540 5th Jul 2010 1:38 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I've heard that as well wingit...it's an expensive temporary repair is gunk in my opinion. We went for the full size spare as well with ours. Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #71591 6th Jul 2010 10:04 am
NQWombat

Australia 

Is this an English thing.

Salesman with "British TV in Australia accent"

"This not Australia Guv, Why do you need a spare tyre for? You'll only be driving in mud this being England an' all"

It's funny because I'm looking at a new car and because of the 25,000 k I will do the idea of even a 'space saver spare' has stopped me looking at some models and is a major selling point for Freelanders.

It would actually be illegal here to sell a vehicle old or new without a working jack and a road worthy spare tyre and rim. Peace is not an absence of war,
it is a virtue,
a state of mind,
a disposition for benevolence, confidence, justice.

Baruch Spinoza
Philosopher (1632 - 1677)

Post #71595 6th Jul 2010 11:53 am
bilun777

England 

Thanks guys.I guess it has to be the full size spare then.Bit of a no brainer really. Rolling Eyes

Post #71597 6th Jul 2010 12:58 pm
Junior

England 

NQWombat wrote:

It would actually be illegal here to sell a vehicle old or new without a working jack and a road worthy spare tyre and rim.

What about minis and Bmw's over there? here some have run flat tyres with no spare OR gunk?

Post #71606 6th Jul 2010 2:44 pm
MVS

If you ever consider towing with your car you will really need a fill size spare as well, gunk is a waste of time.
It's a different matter in a sports car such as a 911 where the front and rear wheels are often different sizes however Wink

Post #71616 6th Jul 2010 6:52 pm
Marky

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I use my caravan jack, a 21mm socket and a spare wheel i got for a very very reasonable price.......... there is one left pm if you want the contact details Thumbs Up 2010 FL2 XS Auto in Santorini Black with HSE alloys

Post #71624 6th Jul 2010 7:50 pm
NQWombat

Australia 

Quote:
What about minis and Bmw's over there? here some have run flat tyres with no spare OR gunk?

Would still be illegal as I understand it. Out here it is the distance you travel as much as the conditions.
On the issue of the gunk, I have seen demo of a fibrous liquid which you left in your tyre and when you had a puncture this would be forced through the hole and prevent deflation. It was also said to help with tyre temps. Don't know of anyone that has used successfully but know it did sell well in the 1980's. [/quote] Peace is not an absence of war,
it is a virtue,
a state of mind,
a disposition for benevolence, confidence, justice.

Baruch Spinoza
Philosopher (1632 - 1677)

Post #71646 7th Jul 2010 11:44 am
Liberty555

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

A very good friend of mine bought a BMW M Roadster and it came with the can of gunk and the compressor. The front and rear tyres are very different.

He hit a piece of angle iron and it tore a gash in the side of the tyre - the gunk was no good anyway! It poured out the gash! Had to sit at the side of the road and wait for a tow truck! Then had to buy a very expensive pair of Dunlops as the other side was half worn anyway.

Moral of the story. A spare tyre or nothing.

It was a selling point for me that the Freelander 2 has a full size spare. The other two cars I considered were the VW Tiguan and the Volvo XC60 both have space savers. Space Saver = No Off Roading as far as I am concerned!

Post #71961 13th Jul 2010 9:20 am
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Had many good years service from Toyota Rav 4's but deserted Toyota when 2007 MY came without spare or even anywhere to put one. T180 run flats turned out to be a disaster.
As I was about to change and also wanted to go auto the FL2 was the one that ticked all boxes. Diesel, Auto and an almost full size spare.
2010 MY FL2 now comes with gunk and compressor but £180 extra buys a full size alloy.
Spare is essential as I am off road some weekends often 200-300 miles from home. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #71969 13th Jul 2010 11:02 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

druand wrote:
Had many good years service from Toyota Rav 4's but deserted Toyota when 2007 MY came without spare or even anywhere to put one. T180 run flats turned out to be a disaster.
As I was about to change and also wanted to go auto the FL2 was the one that ticked all boxes. Diesel, Auto and an almost full size spare.
2010 MY FL2 now comes with gunk and compressor but £180 extra buys a full size alloy.
Spare is essential as I am off road some weekends often 200-300 miles from home.

I suppose £180 ain't much on a new car, but a jack from halfrauds and a cheap alloy off e-bay come cheaper. After all you don't really need a brand new tyre on the spare. Btw if anyone wants a standard (black steel 17") Freel2 spare pm me. No tyre on it at present but I'll have a worn legal one available next month. Wheel is off my 2007 and has NEVER been used.

Post #72009 13th Jul 2010 10:03 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1