« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Towbars with bike racks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
erny

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Towbars with bike racks

Hi newbie here,just bought my freelander and loving it...Need a bit of advice on towbars and bike racks for them,I'm thinking of getting a removeable towbar and one of the thule racks,anyone got ay recommendations of either and some pictures would be good.Worried that the bike rack will be close to the boot and the handlebars will hit it?

Post #70608 14th Jun 2010 6:05 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Worth looking at this thread if your wanting a 2 bike carrier

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic51851.html Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #70610 14th Jun 2010 6:15 pm
athelstan

npinks wrote:
Worth looking at this thread if your wanting a 2 bike carrier

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic51851.html

Why go to Disco 3 website - there's plenty of useful data on Freel2.com

Erny for starters look here: http://www.freel2.com/forum/post60598.html#60598 or here http://www.freel2.com/forum/post67373.html#67373 - and I'm sure there will be other "Threads" and "Posts" on this subject right here on FL2.

So come on npinks - promote Freel2.com Rolling Eyes

Post #70635 15th Jun 2010 7:42 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Rolling Eyes erm... Because there is a towbar mounted 2 bike carrier for sale that's why Exclamation Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #70637 15th Jun 2010 7:49 am
athelstan

You miss the point of my post entirely Sad

And here's another reason why: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic5989-15.html

Post #70639 15th Jun 2010 7:57 am
Chris H

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I have a detachable witter towbar and use a Tradekar Silverbike which i got from Roofbox.co.uk. It's not as nice as a Thule rack(more function over form, but priced accordingly!), but it holds 2 bikes and you can buy a kit for a 3rd. It tilts as well so you can tilt the rack and get into the boot without taking the bikes off.

I carry a Santa Cruz Superlight with wide handlebars and have no problem with hitting the car with the bars, it is the pedal on the bumper you have to watch for, you have to make sure the pedal on the side nearest the car is at 12 o'clock or it will hit the bumper.

Post #70646 15th Jun 2010 8:50 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

back on topic Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #70659 15th Jun 2010 10:06 am
mini-eggs

Wales 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Bali Blue

Ive got Land Rover's own setup, a fixed towbar and the LR bike rack.

Works well, the rack slips on and secured by 2 decent nut and then you can padlock the rack on to be sure nobody can take it while you are off riding. The rack holds 2 bikes, however with careful mountain i'd reckon you could get a 3rd on just about. no issue with hitting or even coming close to the car.

Only disappointment was that the 3 stretchy straps supplied with the rack were useless. So paid for some decent straps from halfords.

Post #70673 15th Jun 2010 12:27 pm
gstd4-e

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

I bought my rack second hand in 1997 for £15 including the light board. I’ve used it with 5 Land Rovers with fixed tow bars.

Here you go………

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The bracket sticks out enough to cause serious damage to those who want to park bumper to bumper! I’ve lost count of the number of broken number plates and cracked bumpers on return to the car from the weekly shop!

I also have a Thule 903 which clamps to the ball, but as an engineer I prefer no movement so a fixed tow bar and mounting bracket is safest. A Land Rover owner since 1988

From a 1974 series III to a 12MY XS FL2 with help of a 1995 D1, 1996 D1, 2005 D3, 2007 D3 and a 2009 FL2.

Post #70712 15th Jun 2010 9:14 pm
erny

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Thanks for the replys,time to get shopping

Post #70766 16th Jun 2010 9:16 pm
LRCRAZY321

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame
thule tow bar carrier

hi
i have had no problems with my thule 4 bike carrier ,it tilts to allow access to the boot and there is no issue with clearance.
hope this helps ...go buy one.

Post #70847 19th Jun 2010 10:09 am
koevoet

Scotland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Tonga Green
tow bar mounted bike rack

I have become a disciple for Maxx raxx, well worth a look. Will hold up 2,4, 5 bikes depending on size ordered.Just fitted one to my car.I mentioned in another post sorry if I am repeating myself. takes 2 minutes to fit, mine holds 4 bikes,I can still use the towbar if necessary and it pivots to allow the rear hatch to be opened with out removing the bikes or rack from the car which is handy.Very secure,comes with locking cable for the bikes and is locked to the mounting plate to prevent theft. Cost me £275 from Maxxraxx with lightboard and hanger.Seen them on ebay for less though.I had never heard of them until a friend at work swore by them. I was looking at putting our thule system on the roof inially, this is a much better idea. Cool

Post #72268 17th Jul 2010 2:25 pm
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

Hi - Try pendle bike racks - they do one specially for land rovers with a longer cant to clear the rear door on older FL1 snd Discoo 1 & 2. Really strong, keeps the bikes up high and a damn sight cheaper than the Marxxi.

Two fitting kits available - back plate behind tow ball or a socket that fixes over tow ball.

Used mine on last three cars and will take four bikes no problem! There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #72280 17th Jul 2010 9:19 pm
pcheaven

United Kingdom 
Re: Towbars with bike racks

erny wrote:
Hi newbie here,just bought my freelander and loving it...Need a bit of advice on towbars and bike racks for them,I'm thinking of getting a removeable towbar and one of the thule racks,anyone got ay recommendations of either and some pictures would be good.Worried that the bike rack will be close to the boot and the handlebars will hit it?

I have a Fixed towbar, and this week picked up on ebay an original LR towbar mounted bike rack for £26, in perfect condition. add another £10 for delivery - bargain.

Also managed to get some lR roof bars for pennies

Now where did i leave my caravan ......

Very Happy 

Post #72809 27th Jul 2010 10:27 am
New2LR

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Indus Silver
Re: tow bar mounted bike rack

koevoet wrote:
I have become a disciple for Maxx raxx, well worth a look. Will hold up 2,4, 5 bikes depending on size ordered.Just fitted one to my car.I mentioned in another post sorry if I am repeating myself. takes 2 minutes to fit, mine holds 4 bikes,I can still use the towbar if necessary and it pivots to allow the rear hatch to be opened with out removing the bikes or rack from the car which is handy.Very secure,comes with locking cable for the bikes and is locked to the mounting plate to prevent theft. Cost me £275 from Maxxraxx with lightboard and hanger.Seen them on ebay for less though.I had never heard of them until a friend at work swore by them. I was looking at putting our thule system on the roof inially, this is a much better idea. 8)

Which make of towbar do you have and which rack? I have a LR bar on my Freelander 2 and have tried fitting the Premier rack but the s tube fouls on the bumper and I can't get the clamp bolt in. I'm interested in how you got on.

Post #73031 30th Jul 2010 1:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>