« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Dropping/ dipping revs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Dropping/ dipping revs

Sorry guys did read this somewhere but cannot remember where. When sitting on 'tick over' the engine quite frequently drops the revs down to 500-600rpm just a a second or two and you think 'bugga its gonna stall'....but the revs pick up again and all is well.

So today driving through the big smoke at 1.6mph average Confused sitting in traffic........across a junction no one moving.......what happens......yep revs dropped, only didn't stop at 500rpm she just cut out for no reason. Just then the traffic decide to move so I'm sitting like a duck. I think avtur or boiledgnat said they suffered the panic of trying to get started after stalling once. It was at this moment i expected to get the starting failure and then the panic of fob out fob in, push clutch...etc etc in the haste of the moment Embarassed , but no. Kept my cool, fob out fob in, depress clutch and then start button and she fired up and on I went. BUT, I did suffer two non starts later on this afternoon when I was at the Dome Evil or Very Mad so it still exists. Hopefully the auto as no clutch pedal will not suffer the failed starts??? Perhaps you guys with autos can tell me otherwise Question

Post #4056 25th Jun 2007 10:55 pm
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi Carl, I can only say about th i6. Never had the start problem, or the revs dipping one. Have you upgraded the software? The diesel's have a special mechanism to engage the turbo when starting, could that be relevant? Anyway I hope you get the auto soon... Whistle

Post #4093 27th Jun 2007 10:26 am
wombat

United Kingdom 

Only ever had one failed start at around 500 miles. Car has now done 4000 miles. I had the software update a couple of weeks ago.

As for stalling never ever. I don't bother shifting to neutral at traffic lights and just hold it on the brake. No probs with revs and you'll find you leave everyone behind when you pull away!

Auto is the way to go - put it on cruise control, auto lights, auto wipers - the down side is that you still have to turn the steering wheel Laughing

Post #4100 27th Jun 2007 1:18 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Dropping/ dipping revs

carlfraz wrote:
............... Hopefully the auto as no clutch pedal will not suffer the failed starts??? Perhaps you guys with autos can tell me otherwise Question

On the auto I think they interlock the starting system to the brake pedal instead of the clutch ..... wouldn't want you to miss out on the starting antics when you get the auto Rolling with laughter

Post #4121 27th Jun 2007 10:55 pm
carlfraz

Must admit I will miss the old girl when she goes Big Cry Big Cry I feel like I am having an affair and can't wait to get rid of the old model Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #4144 28th Jun 2007 10:04 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

This has happened to mine now a couple of times, hasn't stalled yet but the revs dip and feels like it will. The cure for me is to depress the clutch pedal and the revs come back up to normal.................could this be a clutch problem, something binding when it shouldn't be Question Question ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #5366 9th Aug 2007 7:38 pm
tamboradave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tambora Flame

Hi Guys,

I had the same problem with the revs dipping... Told the dealer who sorted it in no time... All now working as expected.

Get it sorted out.

Regards,

David

Post #5404 10th Aug 2007 2:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Tamboradave,
What was your dealer diagnosis? How was it cured?

Post #5479 14th Aug 2007 10:45 am
tamboradave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tambora Flame

defkalion

Sorry matey, I can't remember what the old fart said was causing it!!! I only care that the problem has gone away!!

Cheers,

David

Post #5628 18th Aug 2007 9:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
carlfraz

Thanks for the info guys, replacement auto now at the dealer, so 1st Sept not far away to FL2 x2 the re-run!! Rolling with laughter

Post #5752 24th Aug 2007 11:25 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1