« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Strange problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
garryac

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver
Strange problem

My 10 plate FL2 was sat in the sun all day yesterday, I popped to the shops late afternoon, literally 3 miles. Tried to open it with the key fob and only the nearside doors would open, plus the door mirrors wouldn’t work. The nearside widows still worked but not from the driver side controls, and only the nearside doors would lock!
This morning after it cooled down all is working properly!!!

I trip to the dealers is in order I think

Post #69072 24th May 2010 10:30 am
Triple7

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Go and give it a long drive. Is it brand new? I expect it will cure itself once the battery has had a very good charge etc 2010MY Freelander 2 HSE Auto
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #69083 24th May 2010 2:43 pm
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

Parking near a cctv camera, active alarm system, or indeed any radio emitting device can cause this to happen, even parking under a security light. it happens with any radio key system and is not usually anything to worry about and is damn near impossible to reproduce at the dealers.

Post #69089 24th May 2010 3:43 pm
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Sounds like a CANBUS comms error to me.
Almost all controls, displays, accessories etc. are controlled over a communications bus. I would expect most functions to be 'simplex' based, ie. the controller sends a command and assumes it arrived. I'm guessing some commands didn't arrive, and it could be heat related. I'd expect it to be a freak occurrence but if it persists it will need a very well trained dealer engineer to resolve it.

Post #69102 24th May 2010 5:35 pm
alex_pescaru

The CAN bus standard is by definition a "communication with acknowledge" message oriented protocol. There are bits reserved for the ACK in the message frame. And if there is a collision on the bus, the node transmitting the lower priority message automatically attempts to re-transmit 6 bit clocks after the end of the dominant (higher priority) message.
The automotive world - and CAN was specifically designed for it - is a world with a lot interferences, vibrations, electrical noises and the possibility that errors occur.
So the messages aren't lost. There is no such thing like "simplex" communication or "assumes it arrived". There is always acknowledge.
This, of course, if the hardware support (physical medium) is error free.
In other words the problem is more like a problem with the physical medium - wire(s) connectivity - than a problem with communication reliability.

Post #69104 24th May 2010 6:48 pm
sammythedog

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Orkney Grey

Had similar issues with mine a while back, turned out to be a loose front door connector plug that links all the door electrics to the main loom in the front door pillar, simple to check just make sure it's pushed all the way in.

Post #69106 24th May 2010 7:11 pm
AndyT

alex_pescaru wrote:
There is no such thing like "simplex" communication or "assumes it arrived". There is always acknowledge.

I use the word 'simplex' meaning that it's possible to configure some CAN controller ICs to 'listen only'. Of course, at least one node (not 'listen only') will set a dominant ACK bit but it's not necessarily the node that the message is intended for. So, a node could fail to receive a message that was acknowledged by a different node, and if it actually did receive it, and ACK, that's not to say that the subsequent action (say, door unlock) occurred correctly since there is probably no sensor check and verification/response to tell the controller that the door did indeed unlock.

All that said, it is likely to be a connector somewhere, perhaps heat affected??

Post #69124 24th May 2010 9:23 pm
alex_pescaru

You are right partially because the door modules are not in listen mode only because they have to report back the lock/unlock status. So they are active nodes, not passive ones.

And more of that, only the front module receive the info through CAN. The rear module receives the info from the front door module through LIN bus. So if front door doesn't receive properly the info, the rear also will fail to receive it. Like the garryac says that happened.
Like you said, the problem must be searched on the connections, but only on the front door connection.

Post #69133 24th May 2010 10:00 pm
AndyT

That would be reassuring if the lock status is reported back. If the firmware is well written it should be impossible to lock the car with a door failing to lock correctly without knowing.

Post #69134 24th May 2010 10:10 pm
alex_pescaru

He can try to lock the car with the remote, keeping one of the problematic doors slightly open, when the problem appears again.
If the alarm is refusing to engage and makes a short horn beep, then the status of the lock/unlock and door open is properly sent through CAN and the problem must be searched somewhere else, right?

Later edit: Now I see from the diagrams that the door open status is directly read through a separate switch and not through CAN. So the above statement fails.
In the end, I believe that only with the help of the dealer's diagnose and testing tools will finally and correctly diagnose the problem. Maybe he already has an error code stored and all will be solved quickly.

Post #69135 24th May 2010 10:15 pm
garryac

It all sounds very complicated!.

My wife dropped the beast at the dealers this morning, we shall see what they say?.. I do hope it isn't one of those annoying intermittent faults

Post #69199 25th May 2010 5:42 pm
garryac

Fixed..I hope, appaerently it was something to do with an electronic hub thingy in the drivers door!!..or so they told the missus

Post #69388 27th May 2010 3:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1