Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Pollen Filter and diesel filter on an 08 FL2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Hi S7GPT can you explain how you changed the fuel filter and what you did leading to trying to start the car ? I take it you changed the fuel filter. Did you fill the new filter with diesel ???if so how did you do it? If you have fitted it dry and did not fill it the car will not start. Did you reconnect the four fuel lines in thier correct locations ?
If you have filled the diesel filter and it still wont start disconnect the fuel line to the filter again "As you look down on it its the the line closest to you on the left hand side". either take off the filter and carfully pour more diesel in or use a one way squeezy bulb as ststed in my earlier post. Remember that if you just poured diesel in in the first place that the filter inside will be like a spunge and will soak it up thus causing an air lock If you filled the filter in this way its only a matter of air in the system, add more diesel to the filter,you will need to tip it up slightly so block off the two connections on the right hand side so diesel just doesant run out the other end.
repeat this a couple of times so that the filter has soaked up as much diesel as it can and the casing is full.
now reinstall connect lines and try again,it may take a little time but should fire up,when it does it may be a bit sluggish to start then take for a run which will purge any air out of the system. If your car started when the old filter was refitted then its just fuel starvation. Let us know how you get on Thumbs Up

Post #69411 27th May 2010 9:13 pm
s7gpt

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Sounds daft but how do you get diesel into the empty filter Bow down freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #69448 28th May 2010 2:42 pm
superspark

Rolling with laughter well if you block off the two pipes on the filter on the right hand side, tip the filter up and use a small funnel, the ones you buy from a hardwear store for 50p and have half gallon on diesel in a fuel can theits easy. but failing that go to a cook shop and buy a cheap syringe and inject it in. It will work as i have done this on other diesels. It may sound mad but where theres a will theres a way, improvise and you will over come Thumbs Up

Post #69457 28th May 2010 5:25 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

pre filling filters is frowned upon as you maybe adding dirty fuel to the clean side of the filter. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #69458 28th May 2010 5:28 pm
superspark

you will only introduce dirt t the clean side of the filter if any of the tools etc are dirty. If everything you use is new and clean and you do it in a clean area then theres no problem. As i have said before every thing MUST be spotless before you begin, fail at this point then your asking for problems

Post #69459 28th May 2010 5:45 pm
s7gpt

cook shop and syringe in the moring then, well let you guys know the results Rolling Eyes freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #69469 28th May 2010 7:21 pm
s7gpt

Would this do the trick, fits 8mm let me know asap guys if you know so i can order it

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/77865/Van-Ca...ce=aw[url] freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #69567 30th May 2010 6:34 pm
superspark

This one has the ends you need to make a better connection to the fuel filter. I use this one http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/43986-DRAPER the male end snapps in place into the fuel filter but the female end which is suppost to take the incoming fuel line is too small. But if you cut a peace of clear tubing " with 10 mm internal diameter which you can get from most DIY stores" Remove the female end,replace it with about a half metre of tubing the incoming fuel line will push fit snug inside. Make sure that the direction of flow is towards the diesel filter and start pumping. Be prepaired for some escaping fuel and keep squeezing untill you feel it start to get hard. Simply disconnect your tool reconnect the main fuel line and start. As before she may not start right away but she will,then just take for a few miles drive to purge any remaining air, job done.

Post #69570 30th May 2010 7:14 pm
s7gpt

cheers for help guys, done it today using some piping from halfords and the laser priming tool from screwfix.

I'd swear it drew in fuel from the other end though rather than pump in ( i connected to main green fuel line bit and then the arrow on the filter and had the pump the right way ) anyway all done and sorted Razz freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #69632 31st May 2010 5:17 pm
superspark

There you go NOT SO BAD AFTER ALL WAS IT. Thumbs Up Some times all you need is a few home made tools and it will save you a fortune.

Post #69634 31st May 2010 5:31 pm
s7gpt

superspark wrote:
There you go NOT SO BAD AFTER ALL WAS IT. Thumbs Up Some times all you need is a few home made tools and it will save you a fortune.

Got funny looks in halfords though as i took the filter and pump with me and started trying all the pipes till i got perfect fits - the pump / filter and me were sort of soaked in deisel too Whistle freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #69639 31st May 2010 7:34 pm
superspark

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Well bet you smelt funny, i think deisel stinks at the best of times. I once spilled a few litres down my leg when fueling a machine, it stunk for days even after many showers bloody greasy stuff Rolling with laughter

Post #69646 31st May 2010 7:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12