« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > vents releasing smell of fresh oil - FL2 HSE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
yllomok

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver
vents releasing smell of fresh oil - FL2 HSE

We are currently experiencing a lot of problems with a smell of oil coming through the air vents . The FL2 (HSE) went into the garage when we initally had experienced this problem and was returned to us with the gearbox seal changed due to an oil leak. Within one week it was back again to have a second seal changed and the following week when the smell was still there it went back in for another check and another and now another has been suggested. These checks do not show any oil leaks but the smell is not going at all !! The vehicle is less than 2 months old and we are at the end of our tether. Incidently, no lights have alerted us it is just one heck of a smell comes through the vents as you slow down or stop . Even back seat passengers can smell it.

Really annoyed Big Cry Sad

Post #3945 20th Jun 2007 10:52 pm
G4LAND

Mexico 2013 LR2 2.0T HSE Lux Auto Havana

Probably when they repair this, some oil fall down and there are dirty parts with oil. Idea Yuri
(ARS) XE1UN, EA1HCZ

13 LR2 (FL2) HSE Lux SI4
Havana/Black
(Mexico)

08 LR2 (FL2) SE
Tambora/Black
(Mexico GONE)

05 DISCOVERY 3 G4 V8
Tangiers Orange/Black
(Spain)

13 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE SDV6
Orkney Grey / Ebony (Black)
(Spain)

07 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE TDV8
Java Black/Black
(Spain GONE)

02 DEFENDER 90 BLACK LE TD5
(Spain GONE)

09 VOLVO XC70 OCEAN RACE EDITION D5
Ocean Race Blue
(Spain)

Post #3946 20th Jun 2007 11:05 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

yllomok

I had a problem with smell of oil in my car, it turned out to be a leak from the hydraulic clutch system. Fluid was leaking, some of which was finding it's way on to the hot exhaust which then caused the smell. My car was off the road for a week while they fitted new hydraulic lines, no problem since then .

Paul

Post #3948 21st Jun 2007 10:12 am
qzx372

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

My car is in at the dealer as I write this message. I had a smell of gearbox oil in the cabin. Most noticeable as I slow down to stop at lights for example.

Small amounts of oil were collecting in the sump guard. LR Assist beleived it to be the transfer box. The dealer thought it was a misplaced breather pipe. It wasn't. The problem persisted. The dealer is now looking again and is now on his second day resolving the problem. This time it seems that the dealer concurs with LRA and is doing something with the transfer box.

When I learn exactly what they have done I will post here.

By the way on a completely different subject, how do I put emoticons in my messages???

Post #4059 26th Jun 2007 10:37 am
qzx372

My car is now back from the dealer. It seems that the problem was indeed a recurrence of the breather tube fault. Now LR technical support has recommended the fitting of a filter to prevent egress of any oil fumes. I am keeping a nose on it.

Post #4088 27th Jun 2007 9:38 am
adolfonr

Spain 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

hello, they know if there are many problems of lost of oil? my car has been one week in the distributor, so that it loses oil and they do not find the failure, have already changed Carter and but pieces and not yet give with the problem. freelander 2 HSE auto.

Post #4126 28th Jun 2007 8:50 am
colin

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black
oil smell

Hi
We have had two FL2's. sent one back as we had the smell of oil after they tried to fix the problem 9 times. They gave us a replacement car, now we find that we have the same problem of oil smell yet again. We have contacted customer care at LR, they have said that until they have more complaints about this problem they will not recognise it as a problem, as they say there is no-one else in the country with the same problem. Please contact Barry 01926 691848 and perhaps something will be done to rectify this problem and get it recognised. Our dealer does not want to know any more. We feel that we have paid £33,000 for a duff vehicle twice.
Regards Colin

Post #4547 12th Jul 2007 9:19 pm
chrispayne1958

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Oil Smell

We had the exact same problem on our FL2 XS. We had the car in at the garage and I am sure they said they did something with the breather pipe. we have not had the problem since.

I will contact the dealer (rocar Moores in Huddersfield) and ask them what they did to fix it. Thumbs Up

Post #4676 16th Jul 2007 10:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
qzx372

See my posts above about the same breather pipe problem. So far the problem seems to have gone away.

Post #4694 17th Jul 2007 1:35 pm
colin

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black
oil smell fix

LR have now got a fix for the oil smell anyone with the problem can have the breather pipe fixed with a new one all dealer should have a report from LR since 17 July.

Post #5130 6th Aug 2007 2:52 pm
Grimbo

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Thanks for the info Colin - good to know.

Post #5132 6th Aug 2007 3:40 pm
JD

2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black
i6 3.2 HSE - Oil Leak

Yep its true, breather pipe oil leak, smell out drivers side vent, just had my seal repalced still smells of oil when stopped after driving - OI! LANDROVER - SORT IT OUT.

We are here loyal landrover customers prepared to spend out an average of an extra £8-10K on your top of line freelander 2. and all you do is make us trade in our old reliable TD4's for finally a proper car with proper comfort, wellie and looks and in return you give us a lovely moter that blows smoke and makes our passengers wear pegs on their nostrils!!!

Come on £32K plus could have bought me a whole lot of german engineering, but we are (well some are) patriotic brits, who want our english pounds kept in england - your nearly there with the ultimate machine, just keep us happy and find perminant fixes to our problems, so I can drive and advertise your lovely freelander 2 and not the Disco customer courtesy vehicle!!!!

Dave Smile

Post #5844 29th Aug 2007 4:42 pm
qzx372

You will probably find that the continuing smell of oil after the fix arises from the oil drips that have been absorbed into the sound proofing on the inside of the sump guard. When this has "aged" the odour will go away. It has just about done so on mine.

Post #5876 30th Aug 2007 12:45 pm
JD

2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black
mmmmm

Another oil leak not sure from where will keep you posted

Post #5920 31st Aug 2007 3:41 pm
CJDiver

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

oil smell started 3 days ago, had the vehicle taken back into landrover via landrover assisstance, landrover told me it was a breather pipe problem which they fixed, took the FL2 home and whilst arriving home noticed the vehicle was over idleing just above 1000 rpm so the next morning phone up LR and took me FL2 back.
On the way to the garage noticed the smell of oil again so at the garage asked them to recheck the query oil leak. After a 2 1/2 hrs wait the service manager came to tell me that there was an O ring seal gone on the gearbox Censored I am at the moment driving a loan car, pi---- off and have been told it may be 2 days before my FL2 may be fixed, cant beleive it.

FL2 GS 2.2 td4

13/09/2007 - Update from the LR garage today they tell me that the gearbox has been striped down and they found the leak which was an O ring seal on the gearbox, they had the wrong parts delivered and are awaiting the new parts,have to wait another day Crying or Very sad

14/09/2007 Gearbox put back in that was the good news, wait for it, a new leak found on the other side of the gear box and the gear box has to be taken back out, it will b tuesday the earliest b4 anymore news Censored Censored Censored Big Cry

17/09/2007 - Landrover called today with bad news again, was told that there was a plate needed for the gearbox, there were none in stock and they were looking to get the part direct from the landrover factory?????
Then told that they couldnot give me any indication on how long it might be before it would be repaired. Banging Head what am I to do ???

Last edited by CJDiver on 17th Sep 2007 3:25 pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #6617 12th Sep 2007 3:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>