Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Tailgate/boot lid problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Remoh1

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Buckingham Blue

had all the symptoms rubber button stopped working then random unlocking. Now saying open when its not but cant open the tailgate to sort it out and can't lock the car or turn of the interior lights. HELP I need to open the tailgate and the rubber buton doesnt work the key fob doesnt work and holding the two lock/unlock buttons doesnt work off to check fue 25 to see if thats blown

Post #191897 20th Jul 2013 12:28 pm
Remoh1

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Buckingham Blue

so fuse 25 replaced and the boot worked once, not using it anymore Until I have the replacement parts,

Post #192095 22nd Jul 2013 11:44 am
danw

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Santorini Black

I had the symptoms - boot won't unlock, permanently assumed to be open (Basically fuse has gone).

However the fuse blowing was due to a faulty fuel filler lock, (which goes on the same fuse as the boot) which will now be replaced.

Post #192116 22nd Jul 2013 3:27 pm
Paul.W

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

After a bit of a downpour a couple of days ago the boot lock has started to play up so after reading up on the forum I have just stripped it down to have a look at the infamous switch and sure enough it is well past its sell by date. When removing the number plate light housing I found that one of the nuts had siezed up on one of the end bolts which caused a bit of an issue but fortunately with the aid of some long nosed pliers with a duster as protection beneath them, I managed to get everything apart without too much damage apart from the retention slot in the housing which a bit of araldite will cure. As the wiring to the micro switch shares the same connector as the number plate lights, am I correct in assuming one will have to cut the existing wires and join to wires on a new switch.

Post #193928 6th Aug 2013 9:08 pm
ad210358

England 

Didn't have to cut any wires when I did mine, it was just a case of unplugging the old and plugging in the new Question p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #193936 6th Aug 2013 9:37 pm
Paul.W

The wiring for the number plate lights and the wiring for the tailgate switch share the same connector so the only way I can see to complete the job is to cut the existing wires and solder to the wires on the new switch when I get one tomorrow. As I cannot close the tailgate, I have also had to remove the lighting fuse to turn off the light in the boot.

Post #193939 6th Aug 2013 10:02 pm
ad210358

England 

I would wait until you have the replacement before any wires are cut, it may become apparent what needs to be done Thumbs Up p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #193940 6th Aug 2013 10:14 pm
Paul.W

That is exactly what I will be doing. Will collect the part from LR tomorrow morning then we will see. On the current wiring the two yellow wires for the number plate lights have been joined into one and covered with shrink tube before entering the common connector.

Post #193946 6th Aug 2013 11:04 pm
Paul.W

What a numpty I am. Went and got a new switch this morning and it all became clear. What I had not appreciated was that the wiring for the number plate lights are incorporated with the switch wiring as as a design function and not separate as I first thought. One further observation is how do you change a light bulb on one of the number plate lights without having to remove the light housing. There is no room available to untwist the bulb holder and I cannot find anything in the owners manual. Looking at the design and configuration of the stiffening ribs of the whole assembly, I am a little bit surprised that the number plate light housings are the same instead of being left and right handed

Post #193980 7th Aug 2013 11:46 am
ad210358

England 

I thought it would become apparent, to change a number plate lamp you pop the plastic glass cover from the outside with a small bladed screwdriver Thumbs Up p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #193981 7th Aug 2013 12:19 pm
Paul.W

Everything now back together and working. One thing I did not like was the corrosion between the bolts and nuts that hold the number plate / handle to the tailgate so I have replaced the tee bolts along with new gaskets and instead of using metal nuts I have used shouldered nylon ones instead which will make further removal easier should it be necessary in the future. I am now wondering what next it is going to surprise me with.

Post #193990 7th Aug 2013 3:10 pm
Paul.W

ad210358 wrote:
I thought it would become apparent, to change a number plate lamp you pop the plastic glass cover from the outside with a small bladed screwdriver Thumbs Up

Thanks for the advice, it has been invaluable. Sods law decreed that when it all went back together, one of the number plate lights did not light up. Should have checked it first before I put everything back in but never mind all sorted now. Next immediatre job will be the rear disc pads.

Post #194079 8th Aug 2013 2:58 pm
ad210358

England 

Glad your sorted, have a search for the Rear pads, Superspark did a pictured illustration on how to do it if your stuck, should be in his gallery Thumbs Up p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #194107 8th Aug 2013 6:12 pm
apollodragon

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Replacing fuse F25 worked for me! Wonder why it blew though...?
Thanks Iar for the advice!

Post #215754 4th Feb 2014 11:25 am
ad210358

England 

The Fuel Flap is on the same circuit, it has been known for early models to have the Fuel Actuator short, hence blowing the fuse.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic17008.html?

Post #215782 4th Feb 2014 3:48 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>