« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Build quality decline?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey
Build quality decline?

Has anyone heard that there is a decline in build quality with the newer FL2's? A friend took a late 09 model for a test drive and was disappointed with general quality, road noise and various squeaks and rattles. The car was low kms. This surprised me as my 08 model has been excellent in all areas after 62000 kms and some pretty harsh off road experiences. I know that LR changed ownership, has this had an effect?
Mike

Post #65092 29th Mar 2010 10:01 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black
Re: Build quality decline?

mikehzz wrote:
Has anyone heard that there is a decline in build quality with the newer FL2's? A friend took a late 09 model for a test drive and was disappointed with general quality, road noise and various squeaks and rattles. The car was low kms. This surprised me as my 08 model has been excellent in all areas after 62000 kms and some pretty harsh off road experiences. I know that LR changed ownership, has this had an effect?
Mike

Probably. Also LR don't seem interested at all when you contact them with an issue as I have & that is the dealer & LR themselves. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #65094 29th Mar 2010 10:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ad210358

England 

Ev, you always seem to put your Freelander down, did someone force you to have it, you rarely have anything good to say about it or LR. I had problems with mine six weeks ago but it still puts a smile on my face everytime I get in it and if I was looking to change there is not another vehicle in the under 30k band I'd bother to look at.

Just an observation no offence intended. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #65098 29th Mar 2010 10:40 pm
twodogs

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

I have an 09 FL2 and I think the build quality is very good, my local dealer is excellent and
the small amount of contact I have had with LR also good.

I have never owned any other vehicle than a Land Rover, I've been driving for 26 years
(passed my test at 17). I've owned Series II's, III's, 90's, Defenders and FL1's. The FL2
is by far the best built, could this be anything to do with Ford ? Thumbs Up

Post #65111 30th Mar 2010 9:35 am
lypsyl

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

Post removed by user I know

Last edited by lypsyl on 19th May 2010 7:02 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #65123 30th Mar 2010 11:14 am
j77

Scotland 

I have an 08 TD4 and my mum has 59 TD4.e and her one is by far a smoother and quieter drive than mine.

Post #65142 30th Mar 2010 3:09 pm
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

Haven't noticed any major build quality issues with ours (touch wood). Interior not quite up there with the premium German brands but not bad none the less. Seats very comfortable, no squeaks (yet) and really enjoy driving it, so much so I can even forgive it its poor fuel economy!

Post #65153 30th Mar 2010 4:37 pm
Freelander2hoo

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Firenze Red

I picked up my second Freelander 2e XS (10) on the 14th March. I have to agree that, in my case, the build quality is not up to the high standard of my previous SE (07) in respect of the body. The obvious items I have picked up so far (after 1000 miles) is the fit of the doors and bonnet. One side of the bonnet i can get the tips of my finger between the bonnet and top of the wing. The other side is a snug fit. Likewise the doors; the gap is uneven between the o/s doors and there is a step along the body line between the nearside doors. This creates a noticeable increase in wind noise whilst driving at speed. Sadly, none of doors close with that 'quality' clunk I have become used to.
These are items the body shop are about to sort out for me but it's significant that they were not fitted correctly at the assembly line or corrected at final inspection.
I have noticed too that the door window switches are more flimsy and less tactile than the older model also the manual gear change knob is now painted rather than chromed. (It looks cheap) Sadly, the spare wheel and tool kit for the XS are now replaced with a pot of puncture repair linctus and a 12v inflator. The 2009-10 sat nav discs supplied have to be well out of date too as they don't give a carriageway line to a local bypass that was opened more than a year ago and had been two years in construction.
A good point is the boot now has a 12v supply socket (over the '07 model)
The e switch took some getting used to but that is now permanently on and very useful.
The ride and drive performance remain the same.Good. I am especially pleased that fuel consumption now returns 41 mpg as opposed to the regular 34mpg I was getting from the SE.
It's early days yet and more can yet come to notice. Still think it's a cracking motor though ! Thumbs Up Firenze Red XS TD4 01/2013 . Averaging 1800 miles per month. My 5th Freelander in 11 years. Devotee?

Post #65178 30th Mar 2010 8:13 pm
On-board

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

We all guessed this would happen once overload kicked in. Twisted Evil 2008 Td4 Freelander2 GS - santorini black.
Hse alloys, privacy tints, LR side steps, LR seat covers, LR boot mat.

Post #65184 30th Mar 2010 9:00 pm
The Valeter

ad210358 wrote:
Ev, you always seem to put your Freelander down, did someone force you to have it, you rarely have anything good to say about it or LR. I had problems with mine six weeks ago but it still puts a smile on my face everytime I get in it and if I was looking to change there is not another vehicle in the under 30k band I'd bother to look at.

Just an observation no offence intended.

I wasn't forced to buy it I bought it because it is British or as British as you can get & is still related in a way to my favourite brands & with the styling accessories available it is a transformed vehicle that in it's standard form IMO is too plain but I have 2 mechanical/fuel niggles with it that the dealers can't be bothered with, Landrover themselves are totally useless (as could be proved by a post just above this) in as much as they say if the dealers can't fault it there is nothing we can do though I don't intend leaving it there than I can asure people. HSE spec isn't worthy of the price tag when compared with others - i.e too many things are optional & at silly prices.
Driving it with the issue I have certainly does not put a smile on my face at all in fact even when they are normal the driving experience is just a drive & nothing special at all like 95% of all cars. They are a nice drive but that is all. My MGZT 260-V8 really put a huge grin & nothing I have owned since has ever done the same.

So really my irritations with the spec are reignighted by the vehicles own issues & to be honest I want rid of it if it don't get sorted. I did sugest to LR customer relations that perhaps the best solution was to park it outside the factory, set fire to it & post it on You-tube!! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #65194 30th Mar 2010 9:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Valeter

To add I am really sad that I feel this way as anyone who knows me will say how passionate I am about my cars but I have lost all interest in the FL2 which is a real shame as I got all the dates it came off the line etc & spent out on all the styling items to personalise it.

Strangly enough I stopped at a house today fairly local where a guy was wiping over his 10 reg FL2 & I was hoping to flog him a set of the Headrest monitors but he actually works for Landrover themselves. I told him my concerns & so far he is the only person who has showed an ounce of interest though he promised me he would speak to LR customer services & relations & asked what dealer I was dealing with & assured me I would get a call today from the dealer but guess what?

I said if there is a satisfactory outcome to all of this I will sing Landrovers praises for which I was thanked but then added if the outcome was not to my satisfaction I will make the wrong type of feedback!

Some of the quality control issues etc are because of LR doing things on the cheap & penny pinching which is something that I heard a lot of in 2004/5.... (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.

Post #65196 30th Mar 2010 9:58 pm
nickmak

United Kingdom 

Hi,

I've driven 6 different cars over the past year (Fords, Mercs, BMWs and VWs) and when I sit in my FL2 I feel that the build quality is equivalent to BMWs and surpasses the supposedly brilliant quality VWs! (The VW was a Tiguan and a Phaeton). My FL2 is a 09 plate so it can't be that bad...?

Nick

Post #65227 31st Mar 2010 10:26 am
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Drove my 08 GS Auto for 2 years and 25000 miles. New 10 GS Auto now at 1400 miles and can not say I notice anything untoward. Had a slight feeling about steering/handling not as good until I got out of car and was nearly blown off my feet by gale force wind. Under these conditions FL2 coped very well. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #65238 31st Mar 2010 2:39 pm
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

I must say that mine is as good as the Audi a4 I had previously, and better than the Peugeot earlier or the VW Golf V.

Mine is a 2010 so you guys must be somewhat unlucky.

I also complained a lot about the satnav on FL2 before, but I had a garmin portable unit for a business trip on a rental car last week, and I must say the satnav in FL2 kicks ass as how fast it starts and how good the software is. 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #65239 31st Mar 2010 2:48 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Mine is a late 2007 HSE and have had no problems to speak of, runs as smooth now as it did when new and build quality is excellent and as good as my previous BMW 3-series. Did have some design niggles when I first got it, but it takes time to adjust to a different make at first. However still think some design features could be better. No problems with my LR dealer who is as helpfull with my questions as was the BMW guy. Service is excellent and far better than my BMW service station but on the downside more expensive.
All in all the best car I have ever owned and hopefully will be problem free for years to come Thumbs Up

EV, it would seem that you have been very unlucky and hope you get the Freeys problems sorted, otherwise I agree, best get rid and try something different Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #65240 31st Mar 2010 3:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>