« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Rear tyre noise........again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dunk

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Nazca Sand
Rear tyre noise........again

My rear Wranglers, or at least the near side one had uneven tyre wear which was causing an 'orrible noise. I replaced them with General UHP's and all has been well until recently where the noise has started again Mad I'm wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences or any idea what might be the problem? I was thinking along the lines of a faulty shock perhaps? I might swap the wheels front to back or swap over rears and see if it happens again before I go to the dealers unless anyone has any input Confused Thumbs Up

Post #66333 13th Apr 2010 10:45 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

my old cars rear had a bearing replaced that was causing a lot of noise, no uneven tyre wear though Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #66334 13th Apr 2010 10:47 pm
Dunk

npinks wrote:
my old cars rear had a bearing replaced that was causing a lot of noise, no uneven tyre wear though

The last tyre was worn almost like a saw blade. Running your hand one way around the tyre felt smooth, the other way felt 'jagged', I finally put it down to a puncture/damage the tyre had suffered before I got the car, but obviously something else had caused the tyre to wear as it did....at higher speeds it's all quiet and I can't feel the same type of wear just yet, (doesn't feel quite right though), but it's the same oscillating/droning noise from that side. Shame as it's the only real problem to speak of in 20,000 odd miles.

Post #66341 14th Apr 2010 12:43 am
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

My car did that about a year ago and it was due to wheel bearing. I also had the 4-wheel-allignment done and fitted Wranglers all round. Touch wood - it's been fine ever since. Don't forget to replace tyres in pairs though. Thumbs Up Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #66358 14th Apr 2010 11:03 am
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Re: Rear tyre noise........again

Dunk wrote:
My rear Wranglers, or at least the near side one had uneven tyre wear which was causing an 'orrible noise. I replaced them with General UHP's and all has been well until recently where the noise has started again Mad I'm wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences or any idea what might be the problem? I was thinking along the lines of a faulty shock perhaps? I might swap the wheels front to back or swap over rears and see if it happens again before I go to the dealers unless anyone has any input Confused Thumbs Up

Dunk - Could be a suspension lower rubber bush worn causing the wheel/tyre to 'self steer' when under load and therefore alter the tracking. Can you safely jack the car so the wheel is off the ground and then try to rock the wheel side to side (Holding at 9 and 3 o'clock). You'll need to do it with some force - If you can feel play then maybe it's a bush ?

Post #66359 14th Apr 2010 11:15 am
ou toppie

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

Had this exact same problem, especially the "like a saw blade" description with my old 2000 TDI FL1 when the viscous clutch siezed up, effectively turning the FL1 into constant 4 wheel drive with no " give" for going round corners. Could it be possible that your rear diff isnt doing its job properly??

Post #66390 14th Apr 2010 5:30 pm
Dunk

philsh wrote:
My car did that about a year ago and it was due to wheel bearing. I also had the 4-wheel-allignment done and fitted Wranglers all round. Touch wood - it's been fine ever since. Don't forget to replace tyres in pairs though. Thumbs Up

Sort of hoping it will be something simple like this, did your noise diminish at higher speeds?

edit: I just read your post on this, it doesn't seem to be the same problem, ref' your 'noise' got louder with speed Sad , it's very similar to before in that it's the tyre causing the noise, (because it's silent once replaced), but something is making the tyre wear this way to start with....oh, the joys of cars Laughing

Last edited by Dunk on 15th Apr 2010 6:47 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #66481 15th Apr 2010 6:33 pm
Dunk

Re: Rear tyre noise........again

mcphersonstrut wrote:
Dunk wrote:

Dunk - Could be a suspension lower rubber bush worn causing the wheel/tyre to 'self steer' when under load and therefore alter the tracking. Can you safely jack the car so the wheel is off the ground and then try to rock the wheel side to side (Holding at 9 and 3 o'clock). You'll need to do it with some force - If you can feel play then maybe it's a bush ?

Thanks mcp', will check this out Thumbs Up, brother has a few very long jacks so i'll try the weekend.

Last edited by Dunk on 15th Apr 2010 6:48 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #66482 15th Apr 2010 6:34 pm
Dunk

ou toppie wrote:
Had this exact same problem, especially the "like a saw blade" description with my old 2000 TDI FL1 when the viscous clutch siezed up, effectively turning the FL1 into constant 4 wheel drive with no " give" for going round corners. Could it be possible that your rear diff isnt doing its job properly??

Hope not! but I guess it could be, I would of thought the noise would of got louder with speed though if it were the diff? mine quietens down at speed..... Confused

Post #66483 15th Apr 2010 6:36 pm
ou toppie

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

I hope not also. Just a suggestion. Whilst you have the vehicle jacked up checking bushes and bearings, just spin the nearside rear whilst the offside rear is on the ground and make sure the diff is "diffing " IE that it will turn. The symptoms would certainly appear to be the scuffing being caused whilst cornering.

Post #66536 16th Apr 2010 10:02 am
Dunk

ou toppie wrote:
I hope not also. Just a suggestion. Whilst you have the vehicle jacked up checking bushes and bearings, just spin the nearside rear whilst the offside rear is on the ground and make sure the diff is "diffing " IE that it will turn. The symptoms would certainly appear to be the scuffing being caused whilst cornering.

Thankyou, will try it Thumbs Up

Post #66548 16th Apr 2010 3:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1