« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > RAC BREAKDOWN ASSISTANCE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
GSauto07

United Kingdom 
RAC BREAKDOWN ASSISTANCE

I have just paid for RAC breakdown assistance for my fourth year of ownership. I think it represents good value for money at £101.25 for 2 vehicles for breakdowns a quarter of a mile away from home. Cover for one vehicle is obviously cheaper.

Post #64927 28th Mar 2010 11:41 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

all good and well Smile

but there roadside fault code checkers the RAC use don't go as in depth as the dealers ones do, so you might be towed to a garage instead of been fixed roadside, were as the AA (who LRA now use) might work a little better and you might get that roadside fix and be on your way Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #64929 28th Mar 2010 11:50 am
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

I just took out AA cover as LRA now expiring for £100 for the coming year. It was the LRA connection that made me choose AA over the other suppliers. That is for the one car at home, b/down and relay

Post #64992 29th Mar 2010 7:06 am
chrisuk

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Have a look into upgrading your bank account.

Just done it myself (upgraded to "Gold" account), costs £12 a month, but you get a load of stuff included (including Homestart breakdown cover for me & the misses).

You also get Annual travel insurance, phone insurance, extra warranty on electrical items, plus a load more stuff, but I was already saving cash with the breakdown cover & insuring my iPhone !!

Post #64995 29th Mar 2010 8:27 am
donny

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

I have been a member with RAC for 11 years and never needed them until last week when we broke down on a motorway with a fuel pump problem. Their roadside service was woeful. They sent him to the north side of the motorway when I had been clear we were south and gave the girl the correct marker ref - so he had a 20 mile detour via the next junction. When he eventually arrived, the patrol guy knew nothing about LRs, he kept going back to his cab to check his 'databank', eventually admitting that it did not tell him where the fuel pump was located - apparently it just said n/a! The batteries were flat in his torch so he had to borrow mine and he had no diesel in his 10litre can - blamed the guy who had the van the day before him. He just kept going on about Rover 75 fuel pumps Shocked All in all - pathetic!
We clearly needed recovering with a flatbed but it took him 45 mins stood on the hard shoulder of a busy motorway before he agreed.
However, when the recovery driver arrived he was absolutely great - a first class chap who could not have done more to help Thumbs Up Maybe it just goes to show , that it is more about who you get on the day

Post #65046 29th Mar 2010 1:34 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Shocked The RAC drivers have their own vans, my mates a team leader for them one of
his troop lives up my road and has his van parked up on his drive just like my mate Rolling Eyes Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #65056 29th Mar 2010 2:15 pm
donny

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

What you say doesn't surprise me as the patrol guy I got just bumbled his way for 45 mins - just wasting our time.

Our RAC membership is up for renewal in May and so following our recent (and only) experience (and the fact I expect we have now lost the no-claims bonus) - I shall be looking about to see what other options/deals are out there.

Post #65065 29th Mar 2010 3:13 pm
bathers

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Santorini Black

try looking at ADAC. They are based in Germany but you can join even if you live in uk. A freephone number is used for UK and it links to the AA. 79.50 euros for plus membership which is quite comprehensive. If you go to their website there is an english link and if you call they have english speakers.

Post #65072 29th Mar 2010 5:15 pm
John L

United Kingdom 

I didn't realise until recently that both the RAC and AA will not attend to you if you have an accident. I have had family RAC cover for years and only realised when I looked at the small print on a recent renewal invite.
I have gone with Green Flag (Mayday through the Caravan Club) instead who do offer accident assistance.

Post #65082 29th Mar 2010 7:50 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I have mayday too, personal cover running alongside my LRA Very Happy

They'll tow you to the caravan site if you breakdown on way, and back if your cars not repaired by return and they cover the wife too in her car Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #65084 29th Mar 2010 7:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1