« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fitting aftermarket reversing sensors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
exmilade

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey
Fitting aftermarket reversing sensors

Have purchased a set of colour coded reversing sensors to fit to the rear bumper of my S. Cool
Looking underneath the rear bumper there appears to be a steel beam just behind the plastic bumper.
Before I attack it with the drill bit supplied in the kit I thought I would ask to see what the factory does.

So my question is for those of you who have factory fitted reversing sensors. Bow down

Has anyone had a poke around or even had to remove their rear bumper that has reversing sensors?
Does anyone know if the factory fitting of the sensors means holes are drilled in the steel beam behind the plastic bumper?
It is hard to tell whether there is room enough for the sensor body without having to drill into the steel beam.

Any useful information would be appreciated. Whistle

Post #94824 10th Mar 2011 11:08 pm
dunroof

No you dont drill steel beams. Try the LR fitting guide to genuine rear sensor kit under the Topix website, non fee paying section.

Post #94835 11th Mar 2011 12:30 am
Boxer

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Hows the retrofit of the front going Dunroof Question Don't put petrol in a diesel. They don't run well.

Post #94848 11th Mar 2011 9:20 am
dunroof

Fine, I've been thro' the ToPix website and there wasn't any problem that I could forsee. I then fitted the new bumper on and had it all working, but SWMBO wanted it taken off and the old one put back - meantime anyway. Just don't ask, it's not like she drives it, it just sits there in the drive.

Anyway, in essence if your upgrading, assuming you have the sensors in a new bumper or fit them to your existing one, you just need the new ECU in the boot, the dash switch and then connect them all up. The only problem I had so to speak was following the wires from the dash and bumper, yes they are already there, but dont terminate short of where they should normally.

I am getting stuck into the Terrain Control on S models. It's just missing two CanBus wires, a white one and a white/blue one. According to the wiring schematics, they just attach to the med CanBus anlong with others instrument wires and that should work too. 10forcash was looking into it and didn't think there was a problem, but he's busy just now.

Post #94849 11th Mar 2011 9:33 am
exmilade

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi Dunroof, when I look in Topix, I find the only area accessible to me is the 'OWNER' section which doesn't seem to have anything about fitting rear reversing sensors. Rolling Eyes
Could you give me a hint where I should be looking? Wink

Post #94851 11th Mar 2011 10:13 am
Boxer

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Women!!!!! Big Cry Don't put petrol in a diesel. They don't run well.

Post #94853 11th Mar 2011 11:15 am
dunroof

Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you a Word documents. Is it a genuine LR part or a good substitute? If the latter, then you only need to know to remove the rear bumper and where sensors should be, rather than the whole CanBus thing.

Post #94856 11th Mar 2011 11:30 am
dunroof

Yep Boxer, here it the conversation I had with her....

MUG - You are not using your car, why not sell it?

SWMBO - Oh dont get rid of my car, I like it

MUG - What do you mean, 'like it', it sits in the driveway and you dont use it! You have only done 3k miles in it in the last 12 months. By the time you service it, tax it, insure it etc .......

SWMBO - Oh, I will use it if you buy me a new 2011 model or a 2011 bumper, rear lights etc, Oh and can you reto fit the front parking sensors?

MUG - Yes, I think so.

Meanwhile, after having purchased all the stuff and then just having fitted the new 2011 front bumper. SWMBO, having been on a retail therapy expedition and returning home in my car, Michael Bubble playing at the highest the CD will go, she pokes her head out of the window to speak to me. I am still laying prone on the ground, fasterning literally the last bolt of the new bumper.

MUG - Do you like it?

SWMBO - Yes, but the weather is still bad and the car is going in for a service, so put it back the way it was.

MUG - So when do you want it put on again?

SWMBO - Dont know, maybe when the better weather is here and oh, why didn't fill the big car up with fuel? I had to watch the low fuel light flashing at me the last 30 miles and it needs a clean.

Last week, she ran on a flat tyre stating she considered it to be a suspension fault and how was she going to get home if she didn't drive on it. A couple of hundred quid later........ I give up.

Post #94857 11th Mar 2011 11:55 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1