Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > New engines in range 150bhp and 190bhp ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Sandhurst

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

I'd be surprised if they do engines with that much difference between the manual and auto - most cars fit the same power plant (albeit slightly remapped sometimes) and here's my reasons for that:
. Autos are generally less efficient so fitting a bigger engine would worsen the gap between the man. and auto options.
. Manufacturing costs go up - at the moment, it must be pretty simple (!) for them as there's only one set of engine components until they get to final assembly.
. The manual-bunch would throw a wobbly if they found out that the auto was more powerful! And yes, I'm a manual Wink
. If the auto engine is more efficient, why not use it in the manual anyway - why opt for a less-powerful plant especially if it drinks more?

I believe they'll come out with a more efficient engine and it'll boost power - it's called progress - but I'd expect the same engine (same basic block, power, etc) to be in both versions - or to have two power levels, each available in auto or man.

Naturally, I am prepared to be corrected anytime soon! SE on an 07 plate

Post #61883 1st Mar 2010 11:13 pm
Carnoch

Don't even go there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apart from Lookers, how many dealerships do you think would be so candid to tell their customers there was going to be a model change if they considered it would reflect in their sales figures for that month or that quarter? Answer, Nil! Should we be surprised, No!

Post #61886 1st Mar 2010 11:24 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Sandhurst wrote:

I believe they'll come out with a more efficient engine and it'll boost power - it's called progress - but I'd expect the same engine (same basic block, power, etc) to be in both versions - or to have two power levels, each available in auto or man.

Don't hold out too much hope!! How long have cars been around & how often do models get upgraded? Still consumption & performance doesn't change much! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #61887 1st Mar 2010 11:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Carnoch

Too true, they just tinker with the figures, stop/start if just a con, that said look at the D4 with it's 3 ltr engine compared to the 2.7, you know if it's something so dramatic............... but who knows?

Post #61889 1st Mar 2010 11:37 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

The 170hp 2,2 is going into the new Tata Aria about to be launched in the UK - they cannot get it up to 190hp because the gearbox cannot handle "so much power". This info is in last weeks Autocar if you want to read it.
The Tata Aria will be about the size of an old Disco1 with a 170hp 2.2TD for about half the price of the F2. -
Fast, I think not, more like a slug! Will probably sell as well as the old Tata Safari that was available here for about 2 years did............................ approx a handful of them sold they were so bad on the road, but indestructable, if underpowered, off it! Anybody remember the Mahindara Chief - their take on the Jeep Wrangler but a million times worse How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #61954 2nd Mar 2010 5:37 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 

Remember that the "desmond"* is a PSA engine, so it will appears in lots of things non-LR... Volvo (as a 2.0), Ford, Pugs, Citroen and Mitsubishi to name but a few.

*As in Tutu (2.2) Wink

Post #61986 2nd Mar 2010 8:38 pm
Atrix

Latvia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Lago Grey

In the Russian Freelander forum, a user has just posted an info-leaflet by LR-Russia announcing 190 hp diesel for MY 2011 Wink

Post #61991 2nd Mar 2010 9:06 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

The Ford 2.0 TDCi and 2.2 TDCi are quite different.

When I was at Halewood a few weeks ago, they did confirm on the quiet that when the Freelander 2 is facelifted for 2011MY the 2.2 TD4 will receive a power hike to around 175/180PS and torque delivery will be improved.

The current 158bhp version will still be offered in the lower models.

There is also a 200bhp sequential twin turbo 2.0 diesel on the cards. Not sure who will supply this engine, but the sequential system works very well. Small turbo from 1200rpm to 1800rpm, both from 1800 to 2800 then the bigger one on it's own to 5000rpm.

This 200bhp engine will be available on auto only, not sure when though. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #61998 2nd Mar 2010 9:39 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Might need a new gearbox too, current one is at its limit as it is, maybe just for auto's? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #62014 2nd Mar 2010 10:13 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

chicken george wrote:
Might need a new gearbox too, current one is at its limit as it is, maybe just for auto's?

Funny you should mention that, he did say the 175/180bhp version may be kept just for the Auto's. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #62030 2nd Mar 2010 11:04 pm
lypsyl

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

Post removed by user

Last edited by lypsyl on 19th May 2010 7:41 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #62038 3rd Mar 2010 12:04 am
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Sounds interesting...I'm sure there'll be an announcement at Geneva this week, that's where LR tend to release new details.

This sequential turbo 2.0 litre job...sounds remarkably like what the LRX is getting, Amongst others that LR share with.

Ah well, it looks like there's going to be more nutcases buying Freelanders now then...seeing as though the 0-60 time will be something BMW X3 rivalling...I've heard plenty of people say they they'd never have a Freelander because it's 'too slow', and they're all the types that get on your bumper in the fast lane flashing away Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #62045 3rd Mar 2010 8:33 am
radney1303

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

lypsyl wrote:
I work on the R&D of these vehicles and I can confirm this to be correct, due out in September Thumbs Up

My source tells me the facelift will have new bumpers, lights etc, do you know if they will upgrade interior??

Post #62054 3rd Mar 2010 9:55 am
alex_pescaru

I wonder why you keep speculating and won't ask your trusted, inside man, lr2maker about the new engines? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #62115 3rd Mar 2010 7:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12