« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Ticking noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
lmorris4975

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black
Ticking noise

Hi all. I have a 2007 freelander 2 which i have had for three weeks now. On my drive to work today i heard a ticking noise ( like when you were a kid and put the bread packet clips on the spokes of your bike wheels) coming from the middle/back of the car it does not do it all the time seems to be at certen revs. And then it stops for a bit till you change gear and then again its back. i thought at first something was stuck under the car but checked and could see nothing. Any ideas anyone ?
Or is it just best to take it to the dealer /

Post #61672 28th Feb 2010 6:53 pm
alex_pescaru

I don't want to worry you, but could be the rear Haldex unit.
See here on an XC90 which is equipped with a similar unit and compare the sounds:

Post #61681 28th Feb 2010 8:07 pm
lmorris4975

Hi thanks for the reply. No its does not sound like that, its more a clicking noise than a nocking. I have booked it in with the dealer for them to sort it out under warrenty. thanks

Post #61799 1st Mar 2010 5:35 pm
FR2471

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

What was the noise as I have this sort of noise ?

Post #65103 29th Mar 2010 11:31 pm
FR2471

errm I hope your noise was better than mine as I found it today, it strangely stopped after removing my recovery shackles from the spare wheel well in the boot Embarassed

Post #66137 12th Apr 2010 12:22 am
Remedy

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

I ahve exactly the same ticking noise! Haven't been to get it checked out yet - have you had any joy tracking it down? I'm pretty sure its not the hand brake or anything to do with that. Let me know how you get on. 07 GS manual here.

Post #66477 15th Apr 2010 5:53 pm
lmorris4975

Hi again i took the car into the dealer who stated they could find nothing wrong ! They stated they removed alot of stones from the tyre treads !!!!!! I took the technician out for a test as when i took the car down to them the noise was loud. when i took him out nothing no noise at all and it has not done it since, i know it was not stones in the tyre treads. But the dealer swears they did nothing to it. So who knows what it was which is a pain in the arse as i dont like not knowing what it was. Confused Confused
P.S if you find out what yours was let me know please.

Post #66595 18th Apr 2010 1:29 am
FR2471

MMM I wonder if I had this symptom also I guessed it was the tow rope shackles as the ticking noise went as quickly as it came. I also had a dealer check and they found nothing. Big Cry

Post #66661 19th Apr 2010 12:20 am
Remedy

Team Valley are looking at mine on Wednesday will let you know if anything interesting!

Post #67276 26th Apr 2010 6:30 pm
FR2471

I have a feeling it will be a no fault found call Rolling Eyes

Post #67325 26th Apr 2010 11:56 pm
Remedy

Well as per usual it stopped doing it/wouldn't do it while they had it! Sods law, the good thing is though they can find nothing wrong, probably just a noise to put down to character Smile

In other news Team Valley LR are amazing, my radio head unit is being replaced under warranty (it's been playing up a bit) and they've done a few little things, absolutely stunning service. plus the car was spotless when I returned!

Post #67437 28th Apr 2010 4:50 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Ticking....mmmmm, maybe you have a 'posh watch' and a 'playing out' watch....just maybe you went to the dealer wearing your posh watch (silky smooth swiss movement) and when you heard the noise before you had your playing out watch on, H Samuel 'neveright' tick/tick/tick Laughing

Post #67446 28th Apr 2010 5:36 pm
Joe0116

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I had a clicking noise from the front offside, lower A pillar area, of my 08 GS manual, took it to Stratstone, Houghton le Spring, Co. Durham, where it was rectified. I demonstrated the noise which was more prevalent on transfer of weight rather than road imperfections, the technician stated he tracked the cause down through checking the Technical Bulletins, so it is a known problem, something to do with all different materials meeting. JRS

Post #67447 28th Apr 2010 6:07 pm
nixona35

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

I have had the same ticking noise for a few weeks, noticeable with the windows down and at low speeds even down to walking pace. Some of my work colleagues who cycle to work have commented on it.

I took the car to the local dealer under warranty, they suggest it must be something to do with the rear drums but were going to charge an unknown amount to further investigate/rectify. I plan to have a look myself at the weekend. Talk of dust collecting in the drums..... but I am not convinced on the physics of how this creates a ticking noise. (While I am poking about I plan to look at the anti-roll bar links/bolts too, based on other posts on this forum)

I also have slightly uneven front tyre wear and what sounded like wheel-bearing noises, but the dealer puts this down to tyre type. The individual rubber treads apparently wear strangely, ie. more at the front than the back so rubbing your hand over the tyre one way is smooth, and lumpy the other way. I may seek a second opinion at the (different) dealer I bought it from before the warranty expires.

Post #69938 4th Jun 2010 11:50 am
Garyc.LR2

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Narvik Black

Hi

My car has recently developed a ticking noise coming from the rear similar to that described in these posts by other members.

It only happens upon starting up after standing overnight and increases with speed. Ive had the rear tyres changed, balanced electronic wheel alignment and the checks for wheel bearing ALL to no avail! I am yet to take it into the main Stealer along with a blank cheque for their input.

Did anyone find a solution to this? Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

By the way, break pads & discs are all good. The handbrake is not but hardly ever gets used as its an automatic car.

Post #223026 25th Apr 2014 12:59 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>