« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Puzzling Noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Remedy

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey
Puzzling Noise

HI all! First of all thanks in advance for any replies.

Got a 07 Freelander 2 GS manual with about 23k on the clock. Had it's MOT yesterday, and I now have a strange rattling type noise coming from the transmission tunnel area, towards the back of the centre console/gearbox and cupholder bit where it meets the rear floor plan. It's intermittent, has started each time after about 5 miles of driving and around the 40 mph and above mark. It slows down a bit with less speed and gets a bit noisier but keeps going til you stop or nearly stop. It's like a very fast tapping sort of noise and slightly metallic in character.

LR assist came out today to look and apart from identifying a loose handbrake cable that had come out of it's eyelet couldn't spot anything else, local garage popped it on ramp and put cable back and had a quick general look but couldn't spot anything. Sure enough 5 miles later it was there again! Unfortunately when LR came out being intermittent sods law showed its hand and not a squeek was heard! Typical.

Luckily got another 10 months of warranty but I can't get it to a stealer for another 2 weeks as am working. Anyone got any cunning ideas?! I've a fair bit of driving to do as well and I'm a bit worried!

Thanks again.

Post #61297 25th Feb 2010 7:22 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hmm,
Is the exhaust nearly touching something, as it heats up the mounting rubbers soften and let it flex further.
Is there a thin metallic heat shield in that area?
When your driving along gently apply the handbrake, does it make a difference?

Post #61303 25th Feb 2010 7:33 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Strange rattle could be a loose heat sheild Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #61305 25th Feb 2010 7:39 pm
Trickster

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Hi,

I have had this earlier this year during the snow and turned out to be snow being caught behind the heat guards and then freezing, leading to a little clump of ice banging about behind the heat guards. I just got my fingers behind and pulled out and all was solved.

Not if this helps though as not sure whether you have the snow or not at the moment so purely a thought.

Post #61348 26th Feb 2010 9:04 am
Dunk

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Nazca Sand

I thought I had a piece of metal lodged between pad and disc recently, the noise was horrible and even caused people to stop and gawp, as they do Rolling Eyes What I couldn't work out was that on acceleration it disappeared, it was only noisy on overrun/engine not under load etc or when coasting in neutral?! On crawling underneath and having a look around I noticed the heat shield had bent up and was touching the prop near the rear....when I bent it back down there was a moon shaped section worn into that piece.....the noise stopped there and then, very relieved was I Laughing

I did a search on here and it was an old post relating to a similar problem that prompted me the get underneath the car and have a look, it was cold, raining and dark when I checked but I was desperate to stop it as it drove me, and everyone close by, nuts! I guess the day previous when i'd parked outside a field then drove over a raised section of verge caused the problem Thumbs Up

Post #61460 27th Feb 2010 10:03 am
Remedy

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Thanks all! It has mysteriously stopped as quickly as it started... had a look under and couldn't see anything obvious.

Sure time will tell - if it is seirous it'll come back!

Thanks all Smile

Post #61874 1st Mar 2010 10:46 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1