Home > Technical > Fuses for headlamps?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doc

United Kingdom 
Fuses for headlamps?

Hi all,

Had some fun and games with the passenger side dipped beam this evening, got home and removed the headlamp and tested with the old one, then I used a multi meter and there is no power going to the dipped beam.

I then searched for the fuse but could not find any?

I'm now not sure if FL2's have fuses for the dipped beam and have some kind of deal going in the central electronics unit?

If they do have fuses where are they as I can't find 'em?

Regards
DOC

ps missing everyone esp EV, Rowy, McP, Ad, CG, Andyc**t etc back soon to TTP lol Thumbs Up

Post #59254 11th Feb 2010 10:42 pm
Rowy

One quick sensible post, and ya back off ta your wife and kid, Is that all we mean to you Question Laughing

Post #59274 11th Feb 2010 11:46 pm
alex_pescaru

The car doesn't have a fuse for each dipped beam.
Dipped beams together with other lights (indicators, position, stop lights, etc) are driven by FET transistors from Central Junction Box. All of them have only one fuse, F18 (60 Amps) from Batery Junction Box.
But if other lights work (for example the other dipped beam) then, if cable problems and imperfect contacts are eliminated, you may have destroyed the corresponding FET inside CJB. Big Cry
Chech for dipped beam voltage directly on the otput pins of CJB. If you read voltage there, then you are lucky and is only a matter of cables and imperfect contacts. If it isn't power there, then you'll need a new CJB.
Connector A, pin75 (blue-grey cable, 1.5mm section) Dipped Beam Right
Connector A, pin76 (brown-blue cable, 1.5mm section) Dipped Beam Left
There are 2 connectors with 76 pins on CJB. Connector A is the above one (towards windshield), when CJB is in place.

Post #59294 12th Feb 2010 8:28 am
The Doc

United Kingdom 

Rowy You mean so much more than that Embarassed

Alex, thank you, I think it's fu Censored ked so I'll do a work around for now thanks Rolling Eyes

Post #59301 12th Feb 2010 10:42 am
Rowy

oh stop it Embarassed

Post #59328 12th Feb 2010 3:32 pm
Udash

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Doc, sorrry to hear that.
The FETs are suppose to have the short circuit protection and should shutown, maybe its one of the wires that got disconnected with the high current going through.
As for a workaround you could take power from working dipped beam to drive a relay and the relay can switch power directly from the battery.

If the transistor is really blown off I am thinking maybe its possible to replace the transistor rather then the whole CJB. Transistor is fairly large 5 pin device called BTS443. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #59367 12th Feb 2010 8:43 pm
Gunfa

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

alex_pescaru/Udash, Do you guys have wiring diagrams/workshop manuals, if so where from ? What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Post #59368 12th Feb 2010 8:59 pm
alex_pescaru

I've got it from GTR website http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com
At View Technical Information section you must register and then you must pay a fee of 10 pounds, per day, per model.
One day is more than enough to get the information and print it and 10 pounds is more than a reasonable price for the whole set of documentation.

Post #59380 13th Feb 2010 12:19 am
The Doc

United Kingdom 

Udash wrote:
Doc, sorrry to hear that.
The FETs are suppose to have the short circuit protection and should shutown, maybe its one of the wires that got disconnected with the high current going through.
As for a workaround you could take power from working dipped beam to drive a relay and the relay can switch power directly from the battery.

If the transistor is really blown off I am thinking maybe its possible to replace the transistor rather then the whole CJB. Transistor is fairly large 5 pin device called BTS443.

Thats what I have in mind Thumbs Up

The cjb is still under warranty of course Whistle

Post #59401 13th Feb 2010 12:34 pm
Gunfa

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Thanks Alex_pescaru, I have tried to get on the view Technical Information Section but its not working at the moment I will try again later, I did register for the GTR shop but for a wiring diagram its £74.00 Shocked Shocked What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Post #59411 13th Feb 2010 3:06 pm
alex_pescaru

Try again later and you will see that for only £10 you can access all information, including wiring diagrams.
But if you want only wiring diagrams, you can find some of them here: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic2943.html

Post #59415 13th Feb 2010 4:04 pm
Udash

As Alex I got a subscription to GTR site. I must say I am very impressed with the quality of the documents and diagrams and its well worth it and you can learn lot about the car. Thumbs Up
You can't download the content in PDF form but you can print. I printed using print to file option so I can view them on the computer. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #59563 15th Feb 2010 11:56 am
The Doc

United Kingdom 

Ok, so I tried wiring in using relays but still got the canbus flashing, any ideas udash?

For now I've wired them into two ignition sourced spares for the afs that come live when the engine is running - not ideal but it will do for now until I get it booked into the dealers to get a new control unit fitted, then I'll then get 10 for cash to program it for xenon's.

Post #59582 15th Feb 2010 3:28 pm
Udash

When you say its flashing, is it the xenon flashing when powered via the relay?.
Are you driving the relay coil using the working low beam (or even park light will do), and then use a direct feed from the battery via relay to the xenon.

Regarding the CJB do we really know if its fried. When I am experimenting with LEDs on the park lights the circuit shutdown sometimes and it only came up after I started the car. I assume that you have gone through a full restart cycle and then check the low beam wire, maybe even disconnect the battery and se if it works. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #59593 15th Feb 2010 4:41 pm
The Doc

United Kingdom 

I powered the relay via the battery and put the wires for the low beam onto the relay to power it but it makes the relay click on and off very quickly when the engine runs.

Did you use side lights or low beam to trigger the relay?

I know about the ignition off on thing yes, lets assume the CJB is U/S for now.

Post #59616 15th Feb 2010 6:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>