« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Post VAT rise stealth fuel tax
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
flyboyben

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black
Post VAT rise stealth fuel tax

I was made aware of this earlier today...good ol' labour and their stealth taxes.

Not sure if there is a rule about posting this sort of thing on the forum but it would be good to get as many signatures as possible.

When VAT was temporarily reduced to 15%, the Chancellor added 2% duty to fuel to offset the reduction in tax collected from motorists. Now that VAT has been increased to 17.5% again this hidden tax has not been removed - hence recent rises in your fuel costs. Sign the petition at the link below to have this stealth tax removed!

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/DutyReduction/ TD4, HSE, Santorini Black, SS side protection tubes, clear side repeaters, chrome wing mirror covers

Post #59128 11th Feb 2010 2:00 pm
athelstan

flyboyben
If you know about it how can it be "hidden" Evil or Very Mad Fly boy ben - more like fly tipping political trash.

I do wish all political postings were kept off this generally excellent Freelander2 web site.

Post #59130 11th Feb 2010 2:24 pm
flyboyben

Apologies for offending you Ath El Stan. The term "stealth tax" is a commonly used term in the UK.

Fuel prices are a big deal over here. I should maybe have posted it on a UK only section of the forum if one existed then you wouldn't have had any reason to read it TD4, HSE, Santorini Black, SS side protection tubes, clear side repeaters, chrome wing mirror covers

Post #59132 11th Feb 2010 2:30 pm
flyboyben

Just realised there is a UK section Embarassed ....can a mod move it please??? TD4, HSE, Santorini Black, SS side protection tubes, clear side repeaters, chrome wing mirror covers

Post #59134 11th Feb 2010 2:33 pm
Rowy

FLYBOYBEN-The samething happened with beer/wines and spirits,

athelstan-how much Uk tax are you paying from your swiss tax haven? Whistle

Stealth tax is in the Collins English dictionary-
nown
An indirect tax, such as a tax on fuel or pension plans, esp. one of which people are unaware or one that is felt to be unfair,

Last edited by Rowy on 11th Feb 2010 2:38 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #59135 11th Feb 2010 2:34 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Here is the accepted definition of stealth tax

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stealth_tax

Oh, flyboyben - no need to move it as most posts are for UK members, we are only here to annoy you Laughing 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #59136 11th Feb 2010 2:35 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i heard of this the other day also

Typical UK goverment using stealth (or not so stealthy for swiss members Laughing ) tax and keeping it there when the change the reason they put it there in the first place Evil or Very Mad Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #59139 11th Feb 2010 2:45 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Off Topic

athelstan

Do you have a problem with the Yanks calling the "B2 Bomber" a "Stealth Bomber" also, as thats not 100% invisible Whistle Its said to show up the size of a tennis ball not a plane on a radar Laughing

Off Topic Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #59140 11th Feb 2010 2:49 pm
athelstan

Rowy wrote:

Firstly Rowy, Switzerland is not a tax haven for those who live here, only for those who are domiciled outside of Switzerland. Secondly, I pay all my tax obligations where they arise both in Switzerland and the UK and I have no issue in doing so.

Without adequate taxation a country cannot collectively fund its essential infrastructure to ensure stability, health and well being. Without doing so societies rapidly degenerate in environments of disorder, oppression, decease and decay. Malnutrition, abject poverty, illiteracy and dictatorship rapidly follow.

And when that happens Rowy you'll not have the kind of "government" that will tolerate any hint of comment re its hidden or even stealth taxation policies.

Last edited by athelstan on 11th Feb 2010 3:08 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #59142 11th Feb 2010 3:00 pm
athelstan

npinks wrote:
athelstan
Do you have a problem with the Yanks calling the "B2 Bomber" a "Stealth Bomber" also, as thats not 100% invisible Whistle Its said to show up the size of a tennis ball not a plane on a radar

What and how another nation chooses to evolve its very own language and culture is a topic for themselves to debate. If they choose to call a "bumper" a "fender", or the "boot" a "trunk" so be it. I'll continue to use the English english language.

Post #59144 11th Feb 2010 3:06 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Maybe we should be writing stealth posts when we dont want anybody to read them 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #59148 11th Feb 2010 3:25 pm
Northern Monkey

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Quote:
I do wish all political postings were kept off this generally excellent Freelander2 web site.

Quote:
Without adequate taxation a country cannot collectively fund its essential infrastructure to ensure stability, health and well being. Without doing so societies rapidly degenerate in environments of disorder, oppression, decease and decay. Malnutrition, abject poverty, illiteracy and dictatorship rapidly follow.

And when that happens Rowy you'll not have the kind of "government" that will tolerate any hint of comment re its hidden or even stealth taxation policies.

Is the above a stealth political posting or a normal one.....because I'm getting very confused now!!!! Whistle Baltic blue XS - Alpaca Leather - 18" HSE wheels.

Post #59149 11th Feb 2010 3:32 pm
athelstan

[quote="Northern Monkey"]

Quote:

Is the above a stealth political posting or a normal one.....because I'm getting very confused now!!!! Whistle

Neither.
You posted quotes attributed to me which were not in their entirety but abstracts of firstly) a desire, and the second) an answer to a question raised re my personal taxation.

Post #59152 11th Feb 2010 3:43 pm
freely2sport

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e Sport Manual Santorini Black

athelstan wrote:
Rowy wrote:

Agreed, although at the same time I think you've taken an overly agressive stance on the post - I personally don't mind paying tax, but within reason. If the 2% was added only as a temporary measure, it should of course be removed. Tax is fine, it's the sneakiness that isn't.

Post #59157 11th Feb 2010 3:54 pm
Rowy

He's so easy to wind up..But seriously

The press and the man on the street in the UK-regularly use the term stealth tax to describe an indirect tax, such as a tax on fuel or pension plans, esp. one of which people are unaware or one that is felt to be unfair.

Most educated people realise that adequate taxation is required to service the infrastructure of a country, but I feel that if you were a resident of the UK, you would be able adequately gauge the feeling of frustration borne from the fact that our taxes are being channeled/Mis-appropriated towards (amongst other things) wars that don't concern us and immigrants that do not add anything to our society and are just a drain on the common mans 'increasingly' hard earned income via TAXATION.
Not to mention the fact that the government and their employees are STEALING money from the public purse to feather their own nests.

Post #59164 11th Feb 2010 4:13 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>