Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Injured FL2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
athelstan

Injured FL2

Someone unknown bumped into her ladyship's FL2 Newport this morning whilst it was parked Evil or Very Mad She's devastated as today is also her birthday.

They've put a small dent (the size of a 50p piece) at the base of the left front wing on the leading edge where it meets the front wrap around bumper. Scratched the paint work a little down to the primer coat on one edge of the dent (3mmW x 7mmL approx).

Question Anyone have any tips/experience of pushing such a dent out as I think I'll have a go at it myself.

Question There is of course the matter of first removing the forward black plastic wheel arch protector - is this easy to do as I obviously don't want to break that piece Exclamation

This being Switzerland a body shop will want approx.£60 for just looking at it and preparing their quotation, then, they'll probably say the whole wing needs respraying or if not, a complete new wing is required Sir.

Post #58769 9th Feb 2010 1:22 pm
Carnoch

Sad Poor you, she will be in a filthy mood then and your breathing will set her off.

No, nothing helpful I can suggest with the bodywork, but why not wind her up. Mix up some porridge in front of her and when she asks what your doing, tell her that with some cardboard, you'll fix the wing. Then poduce some old paint spray can and say, it's roughly the right colour and think of all the money you are saving! That should spark a reaction. Grab tin helmet and run for the garden.

Laughing

Post #58770 9th Feb 2010 1:34 pm
athelstan

Won't get far running for the garden - it's under approx 5ft of snow.

No, better let her fully appreciate what action can or cannot be taken to rectify the blemish and let her have an otherwise "happy" birthday.

Post #58772 9th Feb 2010 2:11 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

is there not any smart repair/dent solution companies out your way?

Though where your saying is most likely an area that will not be able to be pulled out, that was the case for my FIL Toyota corolla

I had a dent pulled on my old Vectra, you have to be careful not to over stretch the metal as the paint can crack

when they did it they used a series of long screwdrivers with rounded end of various sizes and a white/black bar held over the dent with a suction cup to give a shadow to work too

its definitely harder to do than it looked Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #58773 9th Feb 2010 2:29 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

if you can get the plastic wheel arch cover off and get in behind the dent with a piece of wood, (suitably shaped) some firm pressure may ease it back out.

Iain

Post #58777 9th Feb 2010 2:47 pm
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I'm with npinks, get in contact with one of the dent removal people and Chips Away or the like to do the scratch. (Need to get them to see to the "Scratch" I found after having the car for a couple of days. When I say scratch, read that in the same way that the Grand Canyon, is that"Little Gorge" in America) Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #58778 9th Feb 2010 2:50 pm
athelstan

It's at times like these that I wish I was in England. You just don't know how fortunate you chaps are to have easy access to "smart" repair companies. There may be one in Zurich (I'm doing web searches)but that's 70mls away - locally I've drawn a blank which is why I'm prepared to have a go myself. If I cock it up - fine. I'll take the financial hit - but first impression is that it may just ping back out into position.

Post #58780 9th Feb 2010 3:00 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I remember seeing somebody heat up the panel with a hot air gun then spray with a upside down can of keyboard blowing aerosol stuff on a dent with the can upside down so the panel gets supper cold then they popped the dent out, though it was a more shallow nudge in the door Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #58785 9th Feb 2010 4:50 pm
athelstan

npinks
That's an interesting approach. May try that if a gentle shove from the underside doesn't prevail.

But the key question that needs answering is how to remove the wheel arch plastic covers without damaging them. I don't want to charge in just removing every screw/bolt I can see only to find there's a few tricky hidden "clips" etc to push or squeeze first.

Post #58789 9th Feb 2010 5:32 pm
athelstan

Well I've spent a few hours this morning trawling the web for the FL2 workshop manual to show me how to remove the black plastic wheel arch liners (as no one on Freel2.com appears to know how to do it Exclamation ), and I've drawn a complete blank - may be that my web search skills require more practise..........

Anyone know where to locate a pdf of the FL2 Workshop Manual Question

-o0o-

Also this morning I went to two car bodyshops to show them the little dent - one quoted UK£520+taxes, the other UK£300+taxes. One charged UK£40 for the estimate deductible from the bill - the other quoted for free as he recalled that my other half (its her FL2) treated his elderly mother in hospital in January. This is Switzerland Neutral

Post #58951 10th Feb 2010 1:11 pm
Udash

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

How abount trying someting like this?
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...yId_165492
If it works this way you dont have to remove the wheel arch. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #58960 10th Feb 2010 1:46 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

try PMing LAR, his microcat might through some light on how they come off, as the exploded view might show the bolts aswell as any possible clips Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #58966 10th Feb 2010 2:20 pm
athelstan

Udash
Many thanks for the Halfords' tip Thumbs Up - now got a mate in Blighty off to his local store, so should be with me in here in CH in 7 or 8 days.

npinks
I'll ask Lar re his microcat - thanks.

Post #58978 10th Feb 2010 3:20 pm
lar

Russia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Did you ask about this?

16102- trim - wheelhouse, RH LR001553
<199V2- edge protector LR001623
HX1- retainer, 6,3 x 22 mm, push pin RYQ500070 
Freelander II 2,2 TD SE Stornoway Grey

Sorry for my wry English. I began to study it recently.
I'll be thankful for your corrections of my mistakes

Post #59203 11th Feb 2010 7:33 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

tip for all, pull off the small edge protector and wash under it to remove any remaining salt.... 5 minute job At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #59204 11th Feb 2010 7:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>