« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > 17's 18's 19's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
OWLS11

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey
17's 18's 19's

Hi I'm after a bit of help please ! I like the look of the 19's but I'm unsure on the affect it will have on the FL2 ? What size is best ? Also with tyre repair kit can your tyre be repaired if say nail is in middle of tyre or is it no good ?

Post #57915 3rd Feb 2010 12:06 am
Rowy

Don't use that Foam crap, You can't have the tyre repaired after that, you can still use your spacesaver 17' with the 19's-or ya can buy a spare Shadow crome off me Whistle

Post #57919 3rd Feb 2010 12:20 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Rowy wrote:
Don't use that Foam crap, You can't have the tyre repaired after that, you can still use your spacesaver 17' with the 19's-or ya can buy a spare Shadow crome off me Whistle

Not quite true - you can have the tyre repaired but the tyre repairers do not like the foam as it is a mess to clean out and of course takes longer to repair. The longer repair time may cost more because of that.

OWLS11 - However I would recommend a spare wheel over the repair kit and a carry a spray box repair kit as a backup. As you will probably only have one set of wheels the best would be a full sized spare and not the space saver because of the speed restriction it has. If you want looks over the practical then the 19" shadows do look the bees knees, but for practicability as well as good looks the standard 18" HSE wheels to my mind are the best option and they work very well "off asphalt" very well. If you want to go "off road" a fare amount then a better choice would be a smaller dimension, and 17" are probably fine for this.
Dont think wheel size alone will effect the ride, but the type and make of tyres you choose will influence this more Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #57945 3rd Feb 2010 9:03 am
OWLS11

Rowy thanks for reply ! I quite like the 19" triple sports if I go for these will I be able to use a GS wheel and tyre as spare in lower boot section ? Do you also need to buy a jacking kit ? Sorry for all questions !

Post #57946 3rd Feb 2010 9:05 am
OWLS11

AndyC Thanks for info ! I think my main concern is 19" in the snow ! Alot of my miles will be motorway and town with the occasional boggy field !

Post #57947 3rd Feb 2010 9:10 am
christian138

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

Am I right in saying the reason the spare is restricted on speed is because the wheel nuts are for alloys and not steel wheels, surely a reasonable solution would be to purchase a set of wheel nuts for the steel wheel? 

Post #57949 3rd Feb 2010 9:38 am
AndyC

christian138 wrote:
Am I right in saying the reason the spare is restricted on speed is because the wheel nuts are for alloys and not steel wheels, surely a reasonable solution would be to purchase a set of wheel nuts for the steel wheel?

If that were the only reason (I dont know for sure) I would have thought LR would have supplied a set with the steel spare we get these days Confused I will enquire at my normally helpfull dealers and see if they can help answer that one. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #57953 3rd Feb 2010 10:19 am
AndyC

OWLS11 wrote:
AndyC Thanks for info ! I think my main concern is 19" in the snow ! Alot of my miles will be motorway and town with the occasional boggy field !

I use 16" LR alloys with non-studded winter tyres for snow and ice - they are not pretty to look at, but function very well for winter slippery asphalt as well as in the winter mountains. We are reccomended the use of smaller wheels for winter use. Otherwise as mentioned 18" LR HSE standard wheels with summer tyres and the only time I tried these in snow (1st May) in the mountains I got stuck Rolling Eyes So, as mentioned, I dont think it will be the size, but the tyres that are fitted for the conditions you are driving. If your going to rough it (rutted tracks or off-road) your more likely to scratch or even damage 19" than 18" I would imagine - my 18" wheels have been in the summer mountains on roughish tracks without any scratches to show for it.
A bit iffy answer maybe, but maybe it will help in some way Question 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #57954 3rd Feb 2010 10:29 am
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

I have 19" on the car delivered with a full size alloy 19" from the factory. See my gallery.

19" are not a big problem off road as well (tested last weekend), however for more often offroading a 17" would be my choice.

I don't know your current spare tyre but 235/55/19, 235/60/18 or 235/65/17 (even 215/75/16) are all the same tyre diameter (a few mm difference only), so if you change your tyre size you can still use your old spare wheel in any case, if there is no special regulation in the UK for that.

Also note that as bigger the wheel gets, more expensive the tyres. 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #57955 3rd Feb 2010 10:31 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

my 19" shadow chromes on continentals are fine

No problem with road noise, snow traction's was OK, but still slip on ice/compacted snow and the ride is not noticeable different from my last cars 17's Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #57957 3rd Feb 2010 10:40 am
Rowy

christian138 wrote:

I think it's a conbination of that and also of different tyre size/width and Tread patterns.

Post #57964 3rd Feb 2010 1:08 pm
Rich1647

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Anyone know how fitting these different sizes affects the speedo etc. I know that if you go a larger size with a lower profile tyre you should stay around the same overall diameter.
My standard 17" GS alloys are going to need tyres all round soon. Wondering about changing to different rims but a bit worried about throwing out the gearing. 2007 GS Manual

Post #57965 3rd Feb 2010 1:10 pm
Rowy

Rich,
It's not an issue, There would have to be a huge diameter change to have any significant effect.
Changing to a larger set of wheels (EBAY) is not gonna cost much more than a set of tyres for ya 17's- Just don't expect to be able to sell your GS wheels, everyone has a set in their garage these days Laughing

Post #57968 3rd Feb 2010 1:19 pm
Rich1647

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Rowy wrote:
Rich,
It's not an issue, There would have to be a huge diameter change to have any significant effect.
Changing to a larger set of wheels (EBAY) is not gonna cost much more than a set of tyres for ya 17's- Just don't expect to be able to sell your GS wheels, everyone has a set in their garage these days Laughing
That could be the way to go then eh? Maybe someone will have a set of GS wheels with decent tyres on em,I'll have a look at that when the time comes.Don't mind the GS wheels myself but didn't really fancy paying extortionate price for some tyres to go on them. 2007 GS Manual

Post #57988 3rd Feb 2010 4:23 pm
Rowy

Just Spoke to Duckworths, who I paid £720 for my second set of shadows, He only has 1 set of 5 left @£1250, and they are now scarce and prices are going back up.

Post #57989 3rd Feb 2010 4:33 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>