Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Superchips Bluefin - what's it really like?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
smellee

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Superchips Bluefin - what's it really like?

Am considering this in diesel auto for better consumption and a bit more oomph when overtaking. Any one experienced any adverse issues? Does it really give noticable performance (speed and mpg) as the Bluefin graph shows? Does it keep the car within the manufacured range ie does it overstress the engine?
Have searched the forum but can't really make my mind up. Many thanks

Post #56597 24th Jan 2010 7:17 pm
Rowy

Do NOT enter this discussion if you have any information about you, your vehicle or your dealer that can Identify your vehicle ANYWHERE on the forum and you have a vehicle still under warranty or you can say good by to it. Landrover monitor the posts and do not need evidence, self incrimination is enough for them to refuse warranty work-no matter what other members tell you what they have read or Know. especially if you have made any derogatory remarks about Landrover or their dealer network. BEWARE

Post #56647 25th Jan 2010 1:03 am
Rowy

But A mate of mine Whistle Says 190ps & 480nms of torque makes it a far better drive Very Happy

Post #56648 25th Jan 2010 1:08 am
smellee

Thanks for that. So no problems with the remap then. What about ST3, this may have a choice of 2 remaps? Is the insurance likely to have a hike (wouldn't mind £20 or so)?

Post #56775 25th Jan 2010 10:44 pm
ad210358

England 

I had my old TD5 chipped and the insurance company did not mind, no increase in premium but made a note on the policy, I enquired about chipping the Freel 2 and same reply, have never got round to doing my Freel 2 as I feel that the transmission may be close to the limits, maybe wrong just a gut feeling, I will wait till a few more ave taken chances withe there Freel 2 before I do.
But I do know someone who was with an insurance company that specalise in 4x4 insurance alledgedly and has had is old RR with the 2.5 BMW lump in it and they wanted over £700 more, and it still went like a slug. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #56780 25th Jan 2010 11:24 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I heard the people behind ST3 had gone bust

[but been Censored Faced I'm not totally sure] Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #56784 25th Jan 2010 11:44 pm
smellee

I was hoping a few others had tried it out. Is the transmission the same in the i6? Surely that takes more pounding than the TD4?

Post #56787 26th Jan 2010 12:16 am
The Doc

United Kingdom 

"especially if you have made any derogatory remarks about Landrover or their dealer network. BEWARE"

ILMAO - they'll shoot soft lad then Laughing

NPINKS the ST3 is a rebranded generic tool called a powergate, made by Alientech in Italy and they are a great bit of kit. You can have them customised to show your companies branding such as the ST3.

BUT as with anything it's a case of garbage in garbage out so be very careful when choosing who remaps your car.

Would be a nice touch to have FL2 forum branded solution Whistle

Post #56851 26th Jan 2010 1:58 pm
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

smellee wrote:
I was hoping a few others had tried it out. Is the transmission the same in the i6? Surely that takes more pounding than the TD4?

It won't be identical since gear changes would be at different rpm ranges. There has been a mention previously that FL2 transmissions are not drastically over-engineered, ie. 20% increase in torque from the engine would be potentially beyond the spec.
Of course it's about driving style also. Occasional use of additional power perhaps wouldn't cause any measurable premature wear but Larry Leadfoot is gonna break it right quick.

Post #56880 26th Jan 2010 5:10 pm
Rowy

smellee wrote:

I'm not positive but I seem to remember a technician at the dealer telling me the gearbox wasnt designed for a 4x4-maybe the same as the engine(peugeot) and is only rated as being capable of handling something Like 495 nms of torque (max) superchips upgrade=480 nms.

Post #56910 26th Jan 2010 7:21 pm
The Doc

United Kingdom 

A few people I know have modded theirs but only mildly - makes them better to drive and gives a notable improvement in MPG Thumbs Up

Post #56921 26th Jan 2010 8:23 pm
smellee

So in a nutshell then, use with caution and don't drive to extremes with it. And don't tell the garage.

Post #56955 27th Jan 2010 12:20 am
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Mines out of warranty now so I can talk about it Very Happy I have had Bluefin on mine for over 2 years and not had one issue.

As said, if you hammer it, expect something to break. But then again, the Freelander 2 is not the type of car to be driven hard. I have found that the Bluefin just allows you to move along with alot less effort. It is just a nice strong mid range pull. If anything it makes the car feel more like a torquey V6 than a tuned 4 cylinder, it's that smooth.

In many mays you are being kinder to the running gear as you don't have to use as much throttle to make good progress. Regarding mpg, I reckon it may be a better by a few mpg but you can't expect the best of both worlds. I tow a caravan with mine as well and it has been fine. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #57658 31st Jan 2010 10:54 pm
smellee

Thanks Mav, just what I needed. I'll get my mate Whistle to order one.

Post #57660 31st Jan 2010 11:09 pm
Ratatatat

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Manual Zermatt Silver

For what it's worth.....................I know someone who had the Bluefin upgrade and it made a really big difference. 6th gear becomes useable! This person (ahem! Whistle ) drove for 2 weeks after reinstalling original settings ready for service at LR, and the car just seemed lack-lustre and dull. Bluefin makes it spicey!
Word of caution which might/might not be related........clutch replaced at 25k. Got to say that my LR garage is fabulous and always on customer side - which is why they won award last year for customer service Out on the road today, I saw a Dead Head sticker on a Cadillac.............

A little voice inside my head said "Don't look back, you can never look back"

Post #61504 27th Feb 2010 3:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>