Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > D-Lander build thread with pics...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
smo

England 
D-Lander build thread with pics...

There were some members who asked for more pics/info about my D-Lander after i posted a pic of the front protection bash plate.

Well, its a "D-Lander", this is a creation by north offroad its based on a 100" chassis from Disco 1 or Rangie classic. Onto this goes a spaceframe rollcage built from clubman 500 tube and then a fibreglass bodyshell (panels) is hung over the top, the shell is light enough to pick up in its componant parts by one person quite easily.

Engines are choice of the owner, there are several around ranging from 200tdi, 300tdi, TD5 (mine) and i believe some V8's and others too.

So, if you lot would like to see more then just shout and i will write up the spec and dig out some piccies Smile I appear to be addicted to Landrovers...

TD5 D-Lander hopefully finished soon!
FL2....this year with any luck!

Post #56507 23rd Jan 2010 11:04 pm
Marvo

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

Sounds like quite a lot is bespoke. Must eat up time/money Shocked

Is it just for fun or competition?

Post #56514 23rd Jan 2010 11:43 pm
smo

England 

Practically the whole thing is bespoke, it comes in Kit form...kind of, you buy the spaceframe cage and from there you are on your own!!

I went for a TD5 engine and use TD5 axles and running gear but a brand new RRC chassis, onto this the axles from a 90 were mounted, a TD5 engine was fitted 18" further back for better weight distribution and originally a manual box however its now auto using a 4HP22 from a disco II using a compushift controller.

My axles are running HD shafts and macmanara hypoid locking differentials, its got EP9 winches front and rear running from a aseperate 24V system to make them much faster, twin batteries for this with its own alternator and LOTS of cabling!

Interior is all bespoke again, using an FL1 dash with bucke seats and other bits and bobs.....The whole car is a one off, every panel, every part is manufactured specially for it, or adapted to fit it hence why its unfinished as i simply dont have time at the moment.

money wise....dont even ask, i could have bought an awful lot of Landrovers for this thing!

I appear to be addicted to Landrovers...

Post #56516 23rd Jan 2010 11:56 pm
Marvo

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

I'd read about a Freelander/Discovery hybrid http://www.lrm.co.uk/ThisMonth.html but this reminds me of a Bowler Wildcat kind of offroader. Thumbs Up

Yours will look far better than that hybrid, mind you his is finished Wink

Post #56521 24th Jan 2010 12:16 am
smo

England 

That thing in LRM has very little in commmon with a d-lander, his is a cut and shut, it weighs a ton and is poorly made as its just stuck on top of the chassis, very top heavy.

Mine is custom designed, fibreglass body so very light and the weight is low down, internal spaceframe rollcage gives strenght, rigidity and safety with the added bonus of things like engine position altered for front-rear weight distributiont too Smile

Personally i wouldnt touch that magazine build with someone elses bargepole! I appear to be addicted to Landrovers...

Post #56522 24th Jan 2010 12:22 am
The Doc

United Kingdom 

the LRM thing looks Shocked

Can't wait to see yours out doing its thing though Thumbs Up

Post #56536 24th Jan 2010 10:24 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1