Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > New Freelander 2... which one?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
skirkpat

New Freelander 2... which one?

Black SE for £19k or GS with privacy & leather for £23k? I know these are quite different specs, but would the GS drop in value too quickly? I'll be keeping for probably 3-4 years.

Thanks to all in advance!!

Post #55954 20th Jan 2010 10:11 am
The Doc

United Kingdom 

Need more info.....

Post #55966 20th Jan 2010 11:59 am
skirkpat

Sorry my first post was a little vague...

So, I am looking to purchase one of the following cars for March delivery:

1. FL2 'Black SE' which is pretty much an S with privacy and nicer wheels. Offered at £19k

or

2. GS spec with leather seats & steering wheel, privacy glass, metallic paint which is offered at £24k (not £23k as originally mentioned).

I need to make a choice based on resale value as being primary. I'd also consider using Seat Surgeons to stick leather in the 'Black SE' model to bring the spec up a little (this would be less than £1k to fit). I'm tempted by the GS, but is £5k really worth the extra. I doubt the car would be used for serious off-roading, but maybe the odd casual off-road day. I'm not worried about the difference in air-con or stereo types.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Post #55969 20th Jan 2010 12:20 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

my thoughts are proper models will be work more than special editions when it comes to trade in, but by how much is a unknown quantity..... but no where near the £5k extra is costing to buy a GS

its all down to how sought after a special would be, when they have replaced it with another special edition

My vote is GS, but also look out for 3month old ex demo with low mileage that have take the depreciation hit already, if you want to save that bit extra on it for things like leather seats.... Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #55971 20th Jan 2010 1:02 pm
trg

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi,

In my opinion you won't ever maintain the £5k price difference, but the GS will probably be more desirable and easier to sell. Many buyers consider the GS to be the best compromise between cost and kit, and however unfairly the S is looked upon as the poor relation. I wouldn't care about that if I was driving it - still a great car - but if resale was important it would cross my mind.

If I could run to the extra now I would go for the GS, enjoy driving it for 4 years and get slightly more at trade in. If I had to compromise it would be on the factory leather on the GS - if economics and resale are most important I'd be concerned that I wouldn't get back the extra £1800; desirable and easier to sell, yes, but in 4 years it won't be worth that much more than the cloth.

It may not be relevant, but I've also heard you will get better finance deals on the GS and no promotions at all on the "Black" or Sport LE - if you're not a cash buyer that alone could close the price gap between the two models.

Best of luck

Post #55975 20th Jan 2010 1:43 pm
skirkpat

Thanks for the comments...

Both figures are based on best quotes from a couple of dealers. I'll be buying the car in cash, so not really concerned about the finance deals offered. My initial budget was around the £20k mark when I looked at changing cars, which I know doesn't go too far in the world of new Land Rovers Smile

I guess my final concern is TR. Would I really miss this if I plan to do about 4-5 days light offroading in a year?

All things considered, I really miss buying a Japanese 4x4 where the options lists are much much shorter as they're typically well specced to begin Smile

Post #55980 20th Jan 2010 2:00 pm
Podcast

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

"I need to make a choice based on resale value as being primary."

Fair enough, but do yourself a favour & pick-up a 1 year old model with a higher spec & maybe <10k miles on the clock and somebody else has taken the hit on the initial depreciation but you still have 2 years warranty left.

Both Reading & Basingstoke dealers have a few 09 XS for around £24k & 09 GS for £19k... Thumbs Up

My 07 XS cost some poor sole £26-27k new, I got it at a year old with 9k on the clock for £18k and I've just put 19" Triple Sport/Conti's on it for £600. Rolling with laughter

Post #55981 20th Jan 2010 2:05 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

go for the GS Thumbs Up Its not just TR thats missing from the S , no climate control,no luggage cover, small wheels , basic radio, no bluetooth.

or get the 'S' its your money after all Laughing . just dont be fooled that a Jap fake is as good as a LR At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #55982 20th Jan 2010 2:06 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

TR is vital. It's not only for offroading but also convenient for bad weather conditions.

You must consider this: you may not need the TR that much but when you consider reselling, the buyer might want it especially for offroadinig, even more as it such a good offroader and becouse it would be much more affordable by then.

I think you'll have a hard time selling the car withouot TR.

Post #55988 20th Jan 2010 2:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
trg

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

I haven't driven the S spec off road but I have driven quite extensively without engaging TR. This was on a Land Rover Experience day that certainly couldn't be described as light offroading and in the snowy Highlands of Scotland. TR is great, personally I wouldn't buy a FL2 without it, and it does make a big difference when its selected, but in my opinion its really not necessary for occasionally driving into a field or coping with a couple of inches of snow and ice. The S spec car is amazingly capable in the right hands.

For occasional and light use you could argue that spending a few hundred pounds on LRE training and getting the very best out of the S spec car could be better value (and more fun) than spending thousands on TR and very rarely using it.

Post #55989 20th Jan 2010 2:27 pm
skirkpat

Thats a valid point about the TR. Although many people here praise the benefits, I really need to look at it based upon a £5k differential on the car (assuming I was buying new).

Its true that my offroad exposure would be quite limited, although I also acknowledge the fact that TR is a real plus when reselling down the line.

So.. I'd go for the S over than the GS on a new car purhcase. However, if anyone knows any very clean Black GS's out there with minimal mileage and under a year old, please let me know! Very Happy

Post #55994 20th Jan 2010 2:47 pm
Podcast

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Check out the Landrover website used approved search function....

http://www.landrover.co.uk/gb/en/vehicles/...erview.htm

Harwoods in Croydon have an Black 09 GS with 7k on the clock for £18,995 Thumbs Up

Post #55999 20th Jan 2010 3:07 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I've said it before but as a start and more importantly a guide, you can't go wrong looking on here.....

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/results...?logcode=s

Post #56000 20th Jan 2010 3:14 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Terrain Response is not just for off roading

Its for slippery water covered roads after the torrential down pours we get nowadays (GGS),

Driving down the promenade on sand blown off the beach(SAND),

Parking on a grass verge because the car parks full when collecting the kids from school (MUD/RUTS)

Its because its a LAND ROVER and you NEED a Dial to make you feel good

If you don't.... You'll always wonder what it would have been like to to have a silver knob to play with Exclamation Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #56001 20th Jan 2010 3:16 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Ahhhhhhhh! The Silver Knob Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Love it every time I play with it Very Happy 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #56002 20th Jan 2010 3:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>