Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Starting up a FL2 at between minus 20C and minus 30C.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue
Starting up a FL2 at between minus 20C and minus 30C.

We have had a chilly period here in Norway. Some places were down to minus 42C
(some claimed -47C), but generally we had between -20C to -30C. (Warm now though. Only -7C)

So how was it starting up? Well, last week was down close to -30C during the night. I was to start the car at noon, so the car looked really frosty.
But it had gotten warmer, as temperature now was -24C.
The car was frosty ice all over. I was curious what would happen, as many cars had problems starting.
On TV-news we saw a Range Rover had to be towed, as it wouldn't start.

Well, I put down my foot on the brake-pedal, and pushed the button. I waited a few seconds, and a message came up in display cranking would start after a glow-period. I counted. 1-2-3-4-5....-10... a book came up in the display, plus some other messages regarding HDC-fault... -11-12-13... sign of life... at 15 it started. NO PROBLEMS!

And the engine ran. After a minute I pushed the defrost-buttons to melt the ice. It took longer than usual to melt all the ice (normally a minute or two). I think it took somewhere between 5 to 10 minutes, but that was OK, cause I wanted to warm up the car a bit before driving off. That is healthy for the car, as things may have frozen.

Next day, same temperature, same procedure.....

Lowest temperature I saw on the display was -29C, but as I was driving then, I couldn't take a photo of that.
I tried to photograph the display, but it actually turned out to be difficult to get a good photo.

Here are my attempts:

2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #54729 11th Jan 2010 5:34 pm
gstd4-e

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

Hi Viking,

I know your temperatures are more extreme but last week I saw -8C and didn’t like the cranking and lumpiness that followed so read the manual to see if you could turn on the ignition to light up the glow plug indicator before starting as I was used to with my D3s. I found nothing in the manual.

The following day at -7C I tried it. Press and hold the start button to turn on the ignition. Hey presto the glow plug light comes on and after a few seconds goes off. Start engine as normal and no cranking just fires up.

I’ve started it this way for the last week and no cranking and when the engine starts no lumpy response.

Try it, works on my manual. Good luck Thumbs Up A Land Rover owner since 1988

From a 1974 series III to a 12MY XS FL2 with help of a 1995 D1, 1996 D1, 2005 D3, 2007 D3 and a 2009 FL2.

Post #54733 11th Jan 2010 5:55 pm
lar

Russia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

It means that you have a good winter fuel.
And a good car. 
Freelander II 2,2 TD SE Stornoway Grey

Sorry for my wry English. I began to study it recently.
I'll be thankful for your corrections of my mistakes

Post #54735 11th Jan 2010 5:59 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

gstd4-e wrote:
Hi Viking,

but last week I saw -8C and didn’t like the cranking

At -8C the car starts more or less right away. Maybe it takes two seconds, but not more. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #54744 11th Jan 2010 6:40 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Re: Starting up a FL2 at between minus 20C and minus 30C.

VIKING wrote:
We have had a chilly period here in Norway.............. Some places were down to minus 42C

Minus 42 and you simply call it chilly Rolling with laughter That's unbelievable..... In Scotland they made the main headline news on TV with minus 20, we're a lot warmer down here in England with minus 3 or 4 over the last days. I guess it's what you get used to, as you know 13mm of snow in the UK and the transport system stops Rolling with laughter (We've actually about 30cm just now and the car loves it).
Good pictures Thumbs Up

Post #54746 11th Jan 2010 7:09 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Additional comments to Vikings - I reccon on about 1 second delay for every minus degree over -5. Like 10 seconds for 10 degrees. Temperatures warmer than -5 degrees, it seems to depend on the type of coldness. Somtimes 2 or 3 second delay and sometimes 6 seconds for a -5C start.
However in minus 16C the other day, she started after about 12 seconds, so it does seem to vary a bit. In those temperatures it does sound a bit lumpy and the navsat display is almost blacked out. After several mins, she is warmed up - and runs quite as a Freely should be Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #54750 11th Jan 2010 8:13 pm
On-board

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Still incredible stuff. really is good to hear. Thumbs Up

Post #54754 11th Jan 2010 8:38 pm
rover60

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Andy mine is going in on thurs/fri for starting although our tempretures are not like yours Mine has no delay and no glow light after pressing the button and cranks over for 3 to 4 secs and when it does start it seems like it going to stall all lumpy and then levels out does this sound right ? 07my Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Baltic Blue,Privacy Glass,Ebony black leather,Land rover detachable towbar,S/S Side bars,Climair wind deflectors,Bramble Rash,

Post #54762 11th Jan 2010 9:03 pm
On-board

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

rover60 wrote:
Andy mine is going in on thurs/fri for starting although our tempretures are not like yours Mine has no delay and no glow light after pressing the button and cranks over for 3 to 4 secs and when it does start it seems like it going to stall all lumpy and then levels out does this sound right ?

mines the same.

Post #54767 11th Jan 2010 9:12 pm
charlie

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

Lowest I had over last week was -13 on a couple of mornings at 7am (live near Manchester airport).
Never more than about 3 secs between pressing button and engine starting.

Been great fun over last week or so watching the riff raff struggle in the snow.
Saw more BMWs struggle than any other make. TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

Post #54771 11th Jan 2010 9:21 pm
sammythedog

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Orkney Grey

As GSTD4-e says the trick to cold weather starting is to push and hold the the start button down (without the foot on the clutch pedal) to bring the ignition on along with the glow plugs, when the dash glow plug light goes out carry on with the usual start proceedure (foot on clutch and press start button), works a treat Wink

Found this out last year with the advice from forum members on here after starting difficulties in last years cold snap.

Post #54788 11th Jan 2010 9:54 pm
AndyC

Rover60: Yes, mine does sound rather lumpy as you put it. But I notice this from -5C downwards - the colder the lumpier. Don't think it is what I would call lumpy when its warmer that that, maybe just a bit rough for the first minute or so. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Last edited by AndyC on 11th Jan 2010 10:57 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #54809 11th Jan 2010 10:49 pm
AndyC

sammythedog wrote:
As GSTD4-e says the trick to cold weather starting is to push and hold the the start button down (without the foot on the clutch pedal) to bring the ignition on along with the glow plugs, when the dash glow plug light goes out carry on with the usual start proceedure (foot on clutch and press start button), works a treat Wink

Found this out last year with the advice from forum members on here after starting difficulties in last years cold snap.

I tried this the other day when it was cold (-15 C) and yes it did seem to start faster from when I pushed the start button, but I didnt get the glow plug lamp either or any of the other warnings in the display. I guess all you are doing is booting up the electronics in a different way, but as the book does not tell you to start in this way, then why not do it they way we are told Question The time totally used is probably the same anyway Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #54810 11th Jan 2010 10:56 pm
rover60

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Andy I will let you know the outcome after its been in 07my Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Baltic Blue,Privacy Glass,Ebony black leather,Land rover detachable towbar,S/S Side bars,Climair wind deflectors,Bramble Rash,

Post #54814 11th Jan 2010 11:01 pm
AndyC

rover60 wrote:
Andy I will let you know the outcome after its been in

Please do - I am sure others will be interested to hear as well Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #54867 12th Jan 2010 9:21 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>