Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > More Tyre Questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Insurance - Sorry can't help as were using up the remaining months on the old cars insurance so still with 'More than'

LRCS - Probably busy because only one poor sole made it into the office due to the snow and he/she is the only Land Rover owner !

Post #53912 5th Jan 2010 12:28 pm
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

According to my link above, T is also just fine.

215/75 R16 103T 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #53913 5th Jan 2010 12:28 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

they just phoned, and have said that changing a wheel 2" up would be declinded, but since i am wanting to go 2" down in size he needs to ring me back Rolling Eyes

Still didn't answer my question on the speed rating, i'll ask when he calls back Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #53914 5th Jan 2010 12:33 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

So they called back LR Insurance have said

Dropping down to 17" is no problems, and they are aware they speed rating will be different, and there is no problems with my insurance in doing do

so What 17" OFF ROAD TYRE is cheap and gives good performance on snow (I know it wouldn't be as good as a winter tyre) Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #53915 5th Jan 2010 12:37 pm
redmug

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Thanks for the responses. I do like this forum! Cool

The best speed rating I keep finding is H for ATs/MTs/Winters. Although those on 16" get away with a speed rating of H all the time. Does a car on 16" go slower than 17"??? or 19"??? I think not, I just think they didn't have an appropriate V rated tyre to put on Smile

It does state in the manual "if the use of tyres not recommended by Land Rover is unavoidable, ensure that you read , and fully comply with the the tyre manufacturers instructions".. which I think means LR are not mandating that only their recommended tyres are used.

They also cover themselves later regarding winter tyres which states "If winter tyres are fitted to the vehicle, the tyre manufacturers instructions should be followed. Pay particular attention regarding the maximum speed that the vehicle can be driven, and the correct pressures for the tyres.".

I think from what I've see having a set of 17" with some MT/Rs speed rated H are fine, provided I don't exceed 130mph with them and follow the instructions.

I do need good tyres for the snow and off road. Although having been out this morning my biggest issues were gridlocked roads, buses that cant go up hills, jack-knifed lorries and rear wheel drive BMWs! Apart from that I did 10 miles in 2.5 hours! Evil or Very Mad

Post #53922 5th Jan 2010 1:25 pm
BFGLR2Man

Germany 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Alaska White

My winters are H rated, which if memory servers me right is upto 180 kph. In Germany the law says you must have a speed rating higher than the max of the car. If you don't then either you have to enable a speed limiter if fitted (used to have one for my ML) or you put a little sticker on the speedo saying what the permissable Max is.

As far as I know the Law is the UK is just the same, even though one can only ever go 70 mph.

If you can understand German then go to www.atu.de or www.reifen.com. These are Kwikfit type firms where you can put in your car details and they tell you exactly what will fit. In Germany the Plod are very, very strict about what you can do to your car, and if you have a German v5 equivilant it will tell you the only permisible tyre/wheel size for that car. Anything else and you have had it; even putting a towbar on your car means you have to get it inspected by an equivilant to an MOT inspector and then you have to send away for a new V5 which states towbar fitted!

Trust this helps Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Freelander 2.2e HSE , Privacy, Fully debadged, 19" Chrome SHadow alloys

Post #53924 5th Jan 2010 1:28 pm
EdSnow

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

MY General Grabber AT2's are H rated ie upto 130MPH. Given that the manual says it will only do 112 you could probably even get away with T rated. I think you will find Land rover fitted Good Year Wangler M/T on the 17" SE wheels for the G4 / mongolia Recce vehicles. Mole should be able to tell us.

You should see from the tyre size chart on the door pillar of the car that H rated tyres are accepted. Check your spare as I think mine is H rated. Given that the rating is all to do with speed, I agree with BFGLR2Man that provided you choose a speed rating greater tthan that of the vehicle Manufacturers top speed, in our instance 112mph, then you should have no issues with insurance, nor can I see what grounds LR would have to invalidate your warranty. Freelander 2 XS 2.2 TD4 Met Black, with Winter pack, 18" alloys with General Grabber AT2 wellies, MANTEC Sump and Tank Guards

Post #53930 5th Jan 2010 2:20 pm
redmug

H rated are 130mph (210km.h). 180km.h are 'S' rated.

Given te top speed of the freelander is 112km (180km.h) then 'H' gives a good margin.

Post #53933 5th Jan 2010 2:32 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:
they just phoned, and have said that changing a wheel 2" up would be declinded, but since i am wanting to go 2" down in size he needs to ring me back Rolling Eyes

Still didn't answer my question on the speed rating, i'll ask when he calls back

Strange system in the UK - My Freely was purchased with 18" standard LR summer wheels and I was supplied 16" LR winter wheels. If I wanted to swap my summers for 19" there would be no problem with car registration or insurance as these sizes are specified by LR for the FL2 Thumbs Up so 3" difference not a problem here as it should be no problem anywhere Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #53935 5th Jan 2010 2:37 pm
sammythedog

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Orkney Grey

I think you'll find that the Kuhmo KL78 in 235/65/17 size is rated at 108V so falls well within the manufactures spec and is an excellent winter/AT tyre as I can verify over the last few months having had a set on since early Oct '09 Thumbs Up .

Post #53950 5th Jan 2010 4:43 pm
GWO

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Interesting thread, I put on 19" wheels (standard was 17") sometime ago and informed LR insurance who said that this was OK. During recent snow and ice did not feel that I was getting as much grip as I should be (tyres have done 20,000 miles) so today I got local tyre fitters to change them back to my 17" wheels, grip is now much better. Whilst at the local tyre fitters (must be one of the busiest in Peterborough) overheard a phone conversation between the tyre fitter and his distributor saying that there is currently a severe lack of winter tyres available although I do not know what sizes they were referring to.

Post #54013 6th Jan 2010 2:10 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

All sizes, very lows stocks left.

Andy. www.ajstyres.co.uk Andy.
www.ajstyres.co.uk www.ajs4x4.co.uk
J8 M25 SURREY
01737 241370

Post #54555 10th Jan 2010 11:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
redmug

I ended up putting some 17" wheels wth Goodyear MTRs on them, 235/65/17s 104Ts. Checked with insurance company (through Adrian Flux) didnt have an issue. Manual seems to be clear, follow the tyre manufacturers recommendations.

Got them from AJS tyres. Thanks Andy, a long trip but I got them on by my local tyre place for a few quid [note Andy offered to put them on car, but due to the fact mine were covered in snow I didn't want a wet patch on the back seat from the 19"s).

They were the same tyres LR used on the G4s apparently. AJS had got a few sets (I think they are all gone now) so now I'm ready for anything and the grip is amazing in the snow. '09 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
19" shadow chrome wheels
Lago Grey

Previously, '00 Freelander TD4 GS Manual

Post #54589 10th Jan 2010 5:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12