« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Winter Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BFGLR2Man

Germany 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Alaska White
Winter Tyres

Great to see all the snow in UK over Christmas; it looked very pretty.

I have to say I think the loacl authorities appeared to be out and about gritting, but no one uses winter tyres. All the pictures you see on the TV of cars wheel spinning etc would probably be alleviated if drivers had the right tyres for the road conditions. You would then find more people on the road, compacting the grit/salt and thus making the snow and ice melt faster. Here in Germany, if you havre the wrong tyres and have an accident, then your insurance company can limit their payout in the event of a claim, and if you cause an obstruction becasue you have no grip then your are fined €40 and get a point on your licence.

This winter I have a second set of full Cooper M&S tyres on 17" alloys and the differance over the AT Continental 18" factory fit tyres are immense. When driving in Uk during the big freeze last Feb in my focus on full winter tyres I and the many East Europeans in there also winter tyred cars were moving easily whilst the majority slid and skid.

I just can't understand why non of the motoring organisations don't talk about winter tyres or in the horrible age of 'ealth and safety why such options as winter tyres are not offered by manufacturers in UK. Maybe in time? Freelander 2.2e HSE , Privacy, Fully debadged, 19" Chrome SHadow alloys

Post #53746 4th Jan 2010 9:11 am
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I think this is something that we need to sort out here.

I think it should start with all local authorities and emergency services (if they don't already).

Then they need to either push it through insurance or through some kind of law change, even just an update to the highway code suggesting that it can help.

Managed to find, after a lot of digging, and article on it in the UK, from some safety organisation (can't remember who) stating that they've been talking to Dutch authorities, as they get the same weather, but have now got about 11% of road users have winter tyres, drastically up over 10 years ago.

Winds me up that people claim not to be able to drive, yet have summer tyres, and often warn out.

Stupid Brits (myself included, have Cooper ATRs, but not yet got proper winters) Whistle

Post #53750 4th Jan 2010 10:27 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Winter Tyres

Unnecessary use of "quotes" removed

If only UK drivers would wake up to the reality of winter and the sensible use of winter tyres in winter, partially in the north of England and Scotland where there is normally more snow and colder temperatures.

BFGLR2Man's comments concerning car insurance and getting a fine for holding up other road users because of using the wrong tyres is much the same here in Scandinavia and is a system which is needed to be enforced in the UK as well. However until I moved to Norway and used winter tyres for the first time, I had no idea of the benefits either. In these days of better communication and travel between the UK and the continent there can be no excuse for having no knowledge of winter tyres and their benefits in lower temperatures, snow and ice conditions.

UK drivers are probably concerned with the expense of an extra set of wheels and tyres and seem to prefer to spend money on car appearance rather than winter safety. 4-wheel drive is a help, but it is not enough and there are still heaps of 2-wheel drives that would surely benefit with extra grip in winter. Thumbs Up

modified due to Unnecessary use of "quotes" being removed Whistle 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Last edited by AndyC on 4th Jan 2010 12:02 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #53751 4th Jan 2010 10:35 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i think a policy change to winter tyres would be a good thing, but like any major change will cause up roar with the people who can't see the benefit of such a tyre.

I have a spare set of wheels in the garage, but to be honest can't justify spending £XXX a tyre at the moment for winter tyres when the car gets around well enough on normal tyres. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #53754 4th Jan 2010 10:45 am
BFGLR2Man

Good to know I can generate a response. By way of extra food for thought. A few years ago I owned a BMW 530d (225 bhp rwd). On its 17" summer tyres it was difficult to say the least on snow. I purchased some winter tyres (made by AVON and ironically in the UK!) and even when trying it proved really difficult to unstick in the snow.

The set for my focus cost about £300 (4 tyres on steel rims) and i see it as an investment, if nothing else my lovely alloys are safe from winter salt for the winter.

I would also echo the comments that until you drive on them, you don't know the benefits they can bring.

Thanks for the early responses Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Freelander 2.2e HSE , Privacy, Fully debadged, 19" Chrome SHadow alloys

Post #53756 4th Jan 2010 11:07 am
rmbillington

BFGLR2Man wrote:
I would also echo the comments that until you drive on them, you don't know the benefits they can bring.

What I've tried to find out and haven't yet. I realise that you get proper winter tyres, and M+S tyres, and they say M+S tyres aren't the same, but what qualities do tyres need to have to get Winter rating?

When I picked the Cooper Discoverer ATRs I liked them because they rated very highly for winter handling (only beaten by winter tyres), and the tread pattern looks very similar to their Discoverer M+S tyres. Would love to know how they rate compared to specific tyres, and something like the General AT2s which are winter rated.

So far they've been perfect, if not a bit boring when I set sand mode in our car park, and tried to wheelspin it, and it just drove away, with very little fuss.

Rich

Post #53759 4th Jan 2010 11:54 am
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

You must also remember that normally here in the UK we only get snow for about 1 week a year, and that doesn't justify the extra expense of winter tyres.

Ok, this year has been the exception to the rule, but having an extra set of tyres sat in my garage for 51 weeks before they are needed again is uneconomical. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #53763 4th Jan 2010 12:12 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Dave wrote:
Ok, this year has been the exception to the rule

It will get worse due to global warming Laughing 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #53766 4th Jan 2010 12:20 pm
rmbillington

Dave wrote:
Ok, this year has been the exception to the rule, but having an extra set of tyres sat in my garage for 51 weeks before they are needed again is uneconomical.

I did read that below 7 degrees C standard tyres begin to lose grip, as the rubber hardens. And winters tyres should be used when the temperatures are averagely below 7 degrees (which again is normally for 1 week, but not the past 2 years, and hopefully many years to come)

And although I agree with winter tyres, I'd hate to be forced to buy winter tyres for a few weeks, and would look into running winter tyres all year round if I had to.

Post #53770 4th Jan 2010 1:12 pm
BFGLR2Man

Mud and Snow tyres work best below temperatures of 7 deg c. Therefore the winter tyres season in Germany is normally considered to be October to the end of March. A normal summer tyre's rubber gets brittle at lower temperatures and doesn't grip as well as M&S tyres which have more silica in the rubber and a much deeper block tread pattern. This results in grip on compacted snow and ice/frosty roads. Those wheels spinning moments pulling out from a frosty junction onto a main road from a side road for example don't happen.

Generally all cars and most high performance SUV's come with summer tyres designed to give optimum roadholding or water dispersion. I include in this things like my last Merc ML, which whilst an excellant 4x4 comes with Z rated 19" 35 profile tyres because 99% of them never go off road. The FL2, Disco and XC90 type SUVs come with All Terrain (AT) tyres. Mine came with Continentals which has an M + S rating written on the side, but no little Alpine symbol which means they are a dedicated M+S tyre. The German Police would have no problem in accepting them (AT) as winter tyres. My tyres worked well last winter, but now have 3mm of tread, so will now remain for next summer only before being replaced by summer only tyres, and since I have winter tyres from my ML and found a set of genuine 17" LR alloys on Ebay for a song made the switch to dedeicated M+S tyres this winter.

AT tyres are a compromise and work well for say UK where you only get a few days of snow a year and have the benefit of 4x4 to cope with the rest. Winter tyres work best when they have 4mm of tread, but the tread block wears much more slowly than summer tyres. For example, those on my focus have done 17.5 K miles are are still at 7mm! I agree that say living on the south coast AT tyres would be fine, but if I lived in somewhere like mid Wales or North of the Peak District, I would want to be equiping my car with winter tyres during the winter. Freelander 2.2e HSE , Privacy, Fully debadged, 19" Chrome SHadow alloys

Post #53771 4th Jan 2010 1:16 pm
John L

United Kingdom 

Thinking back to the 60's when most cars were rear wheel drive, didn't some people put different tyres on the rear, Town and Country I think they were called. They looked semi agricultural in their tread pattern but I bet they helped get the Cortinas/Minxs/Cambridges of the day around in the snow.

Post #54476 9th Jan 2010 8:27 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

And at any speed they wined like a Leyland Truck Laughing

Post #54499 9th Jan 2010 10:05 pm
John L

United Kingdom 

mcphersonstrut wrote:
And at any speed they wined like a Leyland Truck Laughing

Now you come to mention it I think your'e right. A neighbour had a Hillman Minx with these tyres on and you could hear it whining as it went past,so it must have been pretty noisy inside the car. I remember he had some new ordinary crossplies as they were then and all was quiet.

Post #54512 9th Jan 2010 10:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1