Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > worst car in the snow/ice?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black
worst car in the snow/ice?

Ok our freelanders are pretty good in the current road conditions, but some other cars are terrible. Of all the cars I have seen in mine and my neighbours hedges in recent days, Citroen C1's seem to be the most common. whether this is due to it been a cheap beginners car with inexperienced drivers or simply because the car is too light to grip the road, I dont know Confused

I saw a big rear drove jag slithering and sliding around but the driver seemed very capable of controlling it Thumbs Up

My pickup in two wheel drive is comically dangerous, but quite good once 4x4 is selected.

The old chap who lives on our farm tried to deliver the newspapers yesterday and ended up parked on my lawn Laughing missing the Sherman tank by only a few feet (Astra) At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #53091 29th Dec 2009 11:18 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Mates BMW are horrendous in icy conditions Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #53096 29th Dec 2009 11:32 am
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

BMWs I see most, but I think that may just be that there's lots around

Post #53100 29th Dec 2009 11:42 am
MVS

M3's Laughing

Post #53103 29th Dec 2009 12:29 pm
ttc546

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I'm sorry to say that my FL2 has been a casualty of the conditions. Crying or Very sad

I live on a slope. 2 days ago as the ice was melting, but leaving black ice underneath, I got into the car, started up, let the handbrake off and the car slid down the slope of its own accord. It picked up speed, even though I tried to drive away and out of it and the car hit a lamppost in a neighbours garden Embarassed Dented passenger wheel arch, scraped paintwork and two deep grooves thru the neighbours front lawn. (actually, the dent in the lamppost looked far worse! Laughing ). I got out of the car to inspect the damage and fell a-over-t myself. Sad

Not good. Big Cry Chris

Post #53104 29th Dec 2009 12:45 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

It is not fair to compare driving on snow with driving on ice. Driving on snow is a piece of p Censored s if you use the correct tyres. Still if it is the worst possible conditions we are talking about then thick polished ice (skating rink type) that we get occasionally is the worst - so here is my experience of this:

Top place goes to my BMW 3-series which was an exceptional GOOD car to drive on ice- I used the best studded winter tyres and the BMW traction control kicks Censored out of most other 2-wheel drive cars. My mates MB was also the exception maybe and this also functioned pretty well.

Bottom place goes to several Opel (Vauxhall) front wheel drive cars I have owned. You get it on a icy hill and you are safer to jump out - the resulting car damage will be about the same. They are just impossible to steer and I would never winter drive one again. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #53105 29th Dec 2009 1:00 pm
lar

Russia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

ttc546 wrote:
I'm sorry to say that my FL2 has been a casualty of the conditions. Crying or Very sad

I live on a slope. 2 days ago as the ice was melting, but leaving black ice underneath, I got into the car, started up, let the handbrake off and the car slid down the slope of its own accord. It picked up speed, even though I tried to drive away and out of it and the car hit a lamppost in a neighbours garden Embarassed Dented passenger wheel arch, scraped paintwork and two deep grooves thru the neighbours front lawn. (actually, the dent in the lamppost looked far worse! Laughing ). I got out of the car to inspect the damage and fell a-over-t myself. Sad

Not good. Big Cry

ttc546, don't worry thereby yourself. Freel is a good car but this is a iron. It's corrigible. What tyres have had you?
Did you watch this?
I hope you didn't drop your car as in this pictures. 
Freelander II 2,2 TD SE Stornoway Grey

Sorry for my wry English. I began to study it recently.
I'll be thankful for your corrections of my mistakes

Post #53112 29th Dec 2009 2:01 pm
The Doc

United Kingdom 

H D C ?

Post #53124 29th Dec 2009 5:15 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

No use on black ice, no grip is no grip no matter what program your car has Wink Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #53125 29th Dec 2009 5:32 pm
The Doc

United Kingdom 

works better than nothing on the bits that are not black.....

Post #53126 29th Dec 2009 5:39 pm
proplus

My previous car was a Lexus IS220d, in the 1st year it was fine, but then I had a huge powerslide when going over a big puddle on the M6 and from then on it just didn't grip anything again. I had mechanics looking at it, and even with brand new tyres all it took was a little rain and I'd lose all grip. 2 years ago in the snow I nearly left it on the roadside, I stopped at a red light 50m from my house and it just wouldn't go again.......took me 1hr to limp that 50m home in it.

Post #53127 29th Dec 2009 6:08 pm
Dunk

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Nazca Sand

I px'd my '06 330d estate for the FL2, it was so unpredictable in the wet/ice and nigh on useless in snow. It was due mainly to the runflat tyres that were on there, (very stiff side walls)....they'd even loose grip readily on raised rumble strips/white lines. It was truly awful and on more than one occasion I found myself staring at the white of the eyes of oncoming drivers. It improved with conventional rubber fitted but in my book the runflats were dangerous...period. Would of been a fine car but they made a horrendous boob with those tyres/suspension set up, in fact I think they are only offered as an option now? Only car ever to scare me in mildly adverse conditions.

Post #53152 29th Dec 2009 11:16 pm
Radeco

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Bought my new FL2 last month - came with Pirelli P zero tyres = ZERO grip in snow. So went to Duckworth landrover and bought 19" Triple sport with cross contact continentals (£490) NOW perfect grip. Thumbs Up G4 Freelander 2005 V6 HSE Stage 1 Thailand/Laos. HQ Support YZT
Grey Freelander 2 2011 SD4 HSE - Works Van - gone to a new home.

Post #53295 31st Dec 2009 12:16 pm
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

I used to have an Opel Corsa 1995 back in the days I used to live in Germany. I had no ABS and the car was really light. With my regular Conti Contacts it was rubbish on Snow/Ice.

I used to lean to the curb to stop occasionally on traffic lights. Rolling with laughter

The Audi A4 I was driving until this week could perform well with Michelin Primacy's fitted. See attached pic from a business trip last year. (And yes we get snow in Turkey as well.) And it's front wheel drive.

2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #53301 31st Dec 2009 1:21 pm
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Anyone has seen that? Mr. Green

&feature=popular 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #53623 3rd Jan 2010 10:39 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>