Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Noise when steering left.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Boroboy

United Kingdom 
Noise when steering left.

I own an 08 FL2 TD4s. When turning left only, starting to hear a type of grumbling noise, not very loud. Pick up on it more when driving around a long left bend, putting power down a little. Can hear it & feel it slightly. No noise when turning right or driving forward. Don’t think it’s a brake type of noise. More a tyre/transmission type sound. Have 16” wheels fitted with 4x4 conti tyres. All in A1 condition & tyre pressure correct.
I’m not the main driver, wife is. So think I picked up on the noise earlier. Not sure whether it may just be tyre noise? Have 2 weeks left on my Land Rovers used car warranty. Not made a claim on that yet. Neither have I found my local dealer helpful. Always seem to charge me an hours labour before they would consider having a look, then letting me know if it’s a warranty claim.
Any advice would be appreciated. Landy has now gone.

Post #171916 16th Feb 2013 6:16 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

Sound like a wheel bearing on its way out. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #171917 16th Feb 2013 6:20 pm
Boroboy

United Kingdom 

If I jack it up, would there be any play on the wheel if it was the bearing? Once I've bought a high lift trolley jack Laughing Have normal trolley jack that’s not suitable for the Landy. Realised that a while ago. After wanting to swap the wheels around.
Thanks. Landy has now gone.

Post #171920 16th Feb 2013 6:35 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

You won't necessarily find play in a noisy bearing. Find a nice deserted road with a smooth surface and when you get to between 30 and 50 mph, swerve from one side of the road to the other to load up the bearings and listen for a change in road/wheel/rumbling noise. If you hear it when swerving to the left, it's the right bearing and vice versa. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #171921 16th Feb 2013 6:44 pm
Boroboy

United Kingdom 

Steve D,
Yes the sound seems to be coming from the right front wheel area, when your turning left. Especially under load. Low'ish continuous type of rumbling noise.
Think I may try my dealers, as it's still under used warranty. Ask if they'd check my steering for free.
If it was the bearing, would the dealers normally change both?
Thanks for info. Landy has now gone.

Post #171924 16th Feb 2013 6:51 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

They wouldn't change both under warranty if only one was noisy. Shouldn't charge for diagnosis either IF they do the job. Can understand them charging for looking if no faults found although I think that shoud be a godwill gesture (if you are a regular customer) as they'd spend all their time diagnosing for free, only for people to go elsewhere for the job to be done cheaper! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #171927 16th Feb 2013 7:21 pm
Boroboy

United Kingdom 

SteveD,
Only had Landy just over 5 months now (covered 3k), bought from dealer with 6 months used warranty. Items that wern't covered under warranty. Leaking rear brake light cluster seal. Repaired myself. Dealer wanted £120 to have a look. Intermittent prob with drivers side window, opens some days, other days not. Not covered, as problem has to be present all the time. Dealer again would have a look, but charge me to do so. Clogged fuel filter, caused low performance light & limp mode to occur. I can understand why the fuel filter is not covered, due to a diesel prob.
Might get lucky & wheel bearing covered. Landy has now gone.

Post #171933 16th Feb 2013 7:58 pm
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Boroboy, might be worth a trip up to Team Vally Land Rover at Gateshead, might be able to have a look at problems, don't usually charge for that sort of thing, it only 30 mins up the road from Teesside Thumbs Up

Post #171936 16th Feb 2013 8:02 pm
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black
Noise when steering left.

Had similar problem on new SD4 last year while on way back from snowdonia,only (2k on the clock ) that turned out to be problem with back plate on f/n/s/ and also handbrake not fully releasing ...felt and sounded really expensive, but dealer sorted it out within an hour

hope its nothing more .....BUT COULD BE BEARINGS
Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #171939 16th Feb 2013 8:19 pm
Boroboy

United Kingdom 

Toeknee,
I bought the Landy from the same dealership, but not local to me you see. Everytime I have contacted my local dealership, they've been unhelpful. Unless I pay up first. Even though it's under warranty. So perhaps I got on the wrong footing to start.
I live 30 mins the other side of Teesside towards North Yorkshire, so prob an hour or so from your neck of the woods.
We like the landy & it‘s our first, but just seems to be one fault after another. Moan over Laughing
I will get the bearing sorted one way or another. Could even have ago myself. As I've recently changed pad's & disc's on my Astra. As well as most other maintenance. Never changed a wheel bearing, as yet.
On the positive note, used Land Rover Assist once, were brilliant. A1 service Thumbs Up
Thanks for the info. Landy has now gone.

Post #171958 16th Feb 2013 10:28 pm
Boroboy

United Kingdom 
Re: Noise when steering left.

Mudslinger,
The rear brakes were all replaced June last year inc the handbrake shoe's (I think), previous owner had spent alot of cash on it. Mainly servicing & tyres. Some other parts, as have all previous receipts & all work carried out at the dealers. When I get a jack sorted. I will check for play on the front wheels, front brakes & plate.
If it is the bearings & the dealer won't change them under warranty. Will prob get them changed in March when due an MOT at my local indi.
Thansk for your reply. Landy has now gone.

Post #171959 16th Feb 2013 10:36 pm
Boroboy

United Kingdom 
Re: Noise when steering left.

Update.
Think it's deff the wheel bearing, getting worse. Can hear it now when driving in a straight line. Will ring the dealers Monday, see if they will repair it under warranty. Hopefully replace both sides.
Thanks again guys for your help in pointing me in the right direction Thumbs Up Landy has now gone.

Post #172010 17th Feb 2013 3:26 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

I doubt if they will do both sides as wheel bearings are not something that tend to fail in pairs. In normal use I would expect a wheel bearing to last over 100,000 miles. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #172019 17th Feb 2013 4:33 pm
Boroboy

United Kingdom 

JST,
If I manage to have the affected one replaced under warranty, I'll be happy. Do you know if the dealers would change the hub too or just pull out & change the bearing? It's covered 67k, so a bit disappointing.
Thanks. Landy has now gone.

Post #172087 17th Feb 2013 11:10 pm
Boroboy

United Kingdom 

After a few phone calls, found out wheel bearing not covered under Land Rover used warranty. There's a surprise Laughing Again dealer wanted to charge to have a look. Off to an independent to have it replaced. Landy has now gone.

Last edited by Boroboy on 18th Feb 2013 6:21 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #172108 18th Feb 2013 9:43 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>