« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Clutch Slipping
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
womble

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Biscay Blue

For what it's worth I'm in the same boat Sad
59 plate S (with the new stop start system). Recently found that while accellerating to pass on the M6 revs increase by ablout 200 RPM . I would have missed it had the radio been switched on.

Anyway, booked into dealer to look at why and get a response in not much more that a couple of hours. " It's a worn clutch, and not covered by warranty" Rang LR and told exactly the same. The car's just turned over 50K but I still think that's low.
To put it in context, I'm still running on the original brake pads! (85% worn apparently)
I did ask wether I should expect to replace the clutch at the same frequency as the brake pads?

Shouldnt be surprised that I didnt get a reply to that one.

Anyway, dealer loses customer but dont expect that will have any effect. They dont seem to care too much.

Post #113941 19th Sep 2011 9:26 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Stick by your guns. Mine too was raising rpm by 200. It was the DMF. My dealer has fixed quite a few. It's a known problem. Don't let your dealer fob you off, tell him you are aware of DMF problems. It also happens to Mits Outlander and Citro Crosser which has the same PSA powertrain unit.
Mine was fixed under warranty without quibble. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #113946 19th Sep 2011 9:54 pm
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

Mine was doing the same but at only 20K miles, new dmf and clutch under warranty, no quibble.

Post #114031 20th Sep 2011 12:56 pm
geoffk

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Small claims court is the place to fight lr .I would have no hesitation to drag them in and let a judge decide who was in the right...and that's after a warranty has run out because no way should a clutch go at so low mileages...only costs £30 to do on-line.

Post #114851 26th Sep 2011 7:04 pm
odysseus063

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Baltic Blue
Freelander 2 clutch slipping

Hi All,
I have a 2 year old Freelander 2 with 41000 miles on the clock which has started to slip under certain conditions and I was hoping to find out if anyone else has had similar issues with their car or can put some suggestions forward.
In 4th, 5th or 6th gear at around 2000rpm if I accelerate hard the engine revs immediately rise about 500rpm without any increase in road speed so something must be slipping somewhere.
I cant get it to slip at lower revs under heavy load or acceleration which to my mind would rule out the clutch.
I have taken it to the dealer who cannot say what the problem is but they were going to check with Land Rover bulletins etc .
Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems in case there is an issue that I am not being told about.

The clutch sometimes does not slip at all...... please any help please as i need to take this into the garage and argue the case as it is still under warrenty.

Cheers

Mark

Post #129039 25th Jan 2012 2:59 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Hi, Its a well documented fault with many many people having the same problem. In my opinion its not fit for purpose.
Landrover must know this and know that its not down to wear and tear but a fault that needs addressing.
Stick to your guns but be nice as going off on one would not get you anywhere. Unfortunatley If they change it then they will just fit another standard one again so after about 20,000 or so all the same problems will return.
In life, it seems to always be the average punter who ends up paying for the makers mastake. Thumbs Up

Post #129040 25th Jan 2012 3:40 pm
Atrix

Latvia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Lago Grey

I have just brought my car to a service station with exactly the same problem: slipping clutch in 4th, 5th and 6th gears (MY 2009, 35 TKm on the clock). They told me: clutch is not covered by warranty Sad I argued that there seemed to be a lof of people having trouble with this.. Let us see how it ends (how much I am going to pay)..

Post #129230 26th Jan 2012 9:11 am
alanbgt

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Bali Blue

I have exactly the same around 2000rpm, clutch slipping, then recovering.
Will report also and check back here. MY10 TD4.e HSE
Bali Blue

Post #129808 29th Jan 2012 4:12 pm
Atrix

Latvia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Lago Grey

Got my car back after slipping clutch replacement. My warranty claim (35 TKm, MY2009) has been rejected. Paid approx. 1050 Euros. In addition to the DPF-plague it is another reason to say good bye to 'premium brand' LR in the future. The good news is that the car now drives as it should. The clutch bites firmly from the very beginning, no slipping and juddering in higher gears.

Greetings from Riga Wink

atrix

Post #132882 20th Feb 2012 1:37 pm
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

Womble - Had the same prob as you, admittedly at only 20K miles, but mine was done under warranty, no question. Mine's a 59 plate S like yours and had the DMF and clutch replaced. Just tell them that it is not fit for the purpose for which it was sold and as a premium product with a premium price you should expect the clutch to last longer than what I consider to be a 'breaking in' mileage for any other car.

Post #132947 20th Feb 2012 8:48 pm
liveinhope

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Freelander 2 clutch slipping

odysseus063 wrote:
Hi All,
I have a 2 year old Freelander 2 with 41000 miles on the clock which has started to slip under certain conditions and I was hoping to find out if anyone else has had similar issues with their car or can put some suggestions forward.
In 4th, 5th or 6th gear at around 2000rpm if I accelerate hard the engine revs immediately rise about 500rpm without any increase in road speed so something must be slipping somewhere.
I cant get it to slip at lower revs under heavy load or acceleration which to my mind would rule out the clutch.
I have taken it to the dealer who cannot say what the problem is but they were going to check with Land Rover bulletins etc .
Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems in case there is an issue that I am not being told about.

The clutch sometimes does not slip at all...... please any help please as i need to take this into the garage and argue the case as it is still under warrenty.

Cheers

Mark

I am going through the same with my 59 plate FL2 - gathering evidence when I came across your posting - getting very frustrated with my dealer and LR - they just don't care - plenty more where we came from - such a shame love the vehicle in all other ways.

Post #134610 4th Mar 2012 1:29 pm
liveinhope

Pegleg wrote:
Stick by your guns. Mine too was raising rpm by 200. It was the DMF. My dealer has fixed quite a few. It's a known problem. Don't let your dealer fob you off, tell him you are aware of DMF problems. It also happens to Mits Outlander and Citro Crosser which has the same PSA powertrain unit.
Mine was fixed under warranty without quibble.

Can I ask who was your dealer?

Post #134800 5th Mar 2012 8:03 pm
ladnar

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I bought my Freelander 2 HSE with 36k on the clock, within 1 week, the clutch started slipping at 2000 rpm in 4 & 5th gears. I also noticed some oil drips near the transmission underneath. Land Rover took it in to repair under warranty and said they changed the clutch. Now only 12,500 miles later (March'12) it has the identical symptoms. The Land Rover dealer is full of surprise and mock indignation, what must I have been doing to the vehicle to have caused such a "uncommon" fault again!!! - Surprise! surprise! - no warranty repair.

The irony is that I actually like the car - why dont they just admit that there is a recurring problem with this model and fix it. I suspect it is either oil contamination on the friction plates or the "dual mass flywheel" caused torque surges which was a disaster on Porches (964) amoung other brands who tried them

Post #134865 6th Mar 2012 1:59 pm
liveinhope

The dealers and LR must know the score but not owning up - I am pursing other options now I have my vehicle back, firstly to try and get my money back and secondly (dream on) to get to the bottom of the problem once and for all. I wonder how I can find out how many clutches have been replaced at an unreasonably low mileage? any ideas would be welcome. Some sort of poll perhaps. Live in hope Rolling Eyes

Post #135120 7th Mar 2012 7:24 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I ran a poll on this forum a few weeks ago.

Strastone Stoke fixed mine without quibble. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Last edited by Pegleg on 7th Mar 2012 7:40 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #135124 7th Mar 2012 7:39 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 9 <123456789>