Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Clutch Slipping
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
marksimonpowell

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Hi, my fl2 has just started showing signs of clutch slip - usually in 3rd, 4th and 5th when the turbo kicks in, we have towed a caravan with the car, but only twice - it weighs around 1500kg's - ive booked the car in at the local dealer, obviosuly they will see the towing equipment - is there anything i should or shouldnt be saying - the car is just 1 year old with 21k on - mostly motorway miles - i dont want to be paying for a clutch myself!!!

Post #88513 18th Jan 2011 9:23 am
marksimonpowell

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Car went into farnell central Leeds on Thursday new clutch and flywheel all under warranty - they were brilliant.

Post #89266 22nd Jan 2011 3:25 pm
posiden

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Narvik Black
slipping clutch

mines doing it now. 2008 model 26.5K on the clock and never used for towing anything other than a small trailer going to the tip.
Warranty runs out in three weeks so will be onto landrover tommorrow.

Post #90845 4th Feb 2011 8:40 pm
mattprice693

2007 LR2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Just had mine back from the dealers - Stratstone in Cardiff. Went in for a service and during the health check afterwards they noticed that the rear crankcase oil seal was leaking. As the warranty was running out the following week they booked it in, no loan cars available but hired me one in. Collected the vehicle afterwards and whilst driving home a short distance away and after joining a nearby dual carrigeway accelerated in 6th and low and behold, the clutch started slipping. Evil or Very Mad
Turned the car back round straight to the dealers who test drove it and pronounced the pressure plate to be at fault. Anyway cutting a long story short, just had the car back today after a week - now out of warranty, but they have replaced the pressure plate, clutch and dual mass flywheel all under warranty. Very Happy
As an aside the dealer siad that it was just as well the clutch did start slipping as when they took it all apart the oil seal they had replaced the week before was leaking Exclamation Exclamation
Anyway no complaints so far and thanks to Stratstone for sorting under warranty. No quibbles at all.

Post #91614 11th Feb 2011 1:12 pm
Chambers

Ireland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

I noticed my clutch slipping about two months ago, same as most posts here,,ie 4,5,and 6th under accelaration when the boost kicks in.

However, I went for a weekend up to the north of Ireland, so drove pretty much 120km's an hour for about 4 hours up there, and to my amazement, after 2-3 weeks of the clutch slipping I noticed it had completely vanished after the long drive... Shocked It made me think of someone else previously mentioning on this thread that their clutch slip had also vanished, and he had made reference to the self adjusting springs and clutch dust,,,. I was quite chuffed that my clutch had fixed itself, but ALAS, this good fortune only lasted about 3 weeks and the clutch slip returned, much worse the 2nd time around Big Cry

Now this gets stranger and stranger, but again this past weekend I did a 400 mile trip, and to my amazement I have noticed the clutch slip has decreased dramatically,,not vanished completely like the last time,, but it is certainly much less evident now than what it has been for the last few weeks!

Call me crazy,, but can anyone on here explain this phenomena? The long of the short is,, I know i need a new clutch,,but i'd love to know what could be causing this strange behaviour..

Post #91878 14th Feb 2011 12:17 am
sportsman

United Kingdom 

My warranty is up on the 3rd of March,its in the stealers tomorrow to see if they can find the annoying rattle which happens at about 1500 RPM,all this clutch slipping worries me 'wonder if i could give it the old this clutch feels a bit spongy : Wink ...Oh well only time will tel i suppose the car has 26k on the clock what is the average age for these to start going !

Post #91879 14th Feb 2011 12:27 am
posiden

Big thanks to TEAM VALLEY LANDROVER

I phone Landrover Customer care and the only advise they gave was "get your local dealer to look at it."
Well my 'local' dealer in CARLISLE pronounced that they hadnt heard of clutch problems on FL2's before.
They would have a look at my car BUT its 3 hours labour to get to the clutch, if theres nothing wrong with it its another 3 hours labour to put it back together (over £500 +VAT.)
If the clutch is faulty they will replace it BUT if the clutch shows signs of excessive wear and tear I must pay for its replacement in total about £1200 +VAT.
After a short discussion stating it was a known fault , I couldnt believe they hadnt done any before and I didnt for one minute think they wouldnt charge me for the work I rang off.

Noticing a mail on here for TEAM VALLEY LANDROVER I decided to give them a ring (bearing in mind there 100 miles from me.)
I could have asked for better service, yes it was a known fault, yes they would look at my car, yes it could be done under warranty.
Anyway the cars been in, courtesy car provided without even asking and mine was washed and cleaned when I came to pick it up!
The new clutch is fitted and it feels miles better with a much more positive biting point and ive notice that the computer says Im getting better MPG now (slipping clutch wasting energy that should have been going to the wheels?)

I would like to ask Landrover the following:-

Why is information on this common fault not passed onto the customers and dealers?

Why did I have to drive 100 miles to get it fixed by a garage on the other side of the country when my local dealer claimed he didnt know anything about the fault and wanted to charge me hundreds of pounds for looking at it ?

I CANT THANK TEAM VALLEY LANDROVER ENOUGH FOR SORTING THIS OUT, YOUVE RESORED MY FAITH IN LANDROVER.

Post #92127 15th Feb 2011 9:44 pm
Richard1975

Netherlands 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Rimini Red

I also do notice some occasional clutch slipping only in 6th gear starting around 1800 rpm. The revs shoot up approx 300 rpms when I floor the pedal (occasionally). The dealer allready pointed to the clutch and flywheel because I also have some judder in 1st gear which could point to the clutch. It's not clear to me whether the flywheel has something to do with this or not. I cannot find anything abnormal shaking in the engine, not even when I floor the pedal in a too high gear. I did notice some oil sweating on the bottom of the engine between the engine and the housing of the gear box. I think this oil is coming from a leaking crank seal. Is it possible that this leaking seal is ending on the clutch plates causing some slip of the clutch?

How can I check the dual mass flywheel whether it's on it's way out or not. Are there some tests to do or other more clear signs? I'm a bit worried ending up in replacing all kind of parts at my costs (car is out of waranty) which are not causing trouble or aren't worn out.

I also have wheel wobble like having a stone in one of the tires. The dealer is blaming the flywheel and clutch to be te cause of this wobble. However the wobble is road relative and not engine rev relative.

Does anybody have some ideas?

Best regards,
Richard

Post #93021 23rd Feb 2011 1:02 pm
posiden

clutch slipping

the bottom of my clutch housing did look look like some oil had been there over a period of time and I did think that may had been causing the slipping.
the guys at team valley did tell me that when you take out the slipping clutch it looks fine, its the material that its made of that causes the problems.

with regard to your wobbling, in my humble opinion, I would check the tyres are correctly inflated and balanced before looking at anything else. its easy enought to loose a tyre weight and not realise it.

Post #93624 28th Feb 2011 12:48 pm
Richard1975

Netherlands 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Rimini Red
Tire wobble

For the clutch slipping Team Valley is saying that the clutch material gives problems? Or in other words Land rover used a bad quality clutch? Or did I misunderstood?

For the tire wobble Ican only say, been there done that.... I've checked tires, swapped from back to front, had the tires trimmed (make them perfect round) and had all four wheel balanced afterwards. Even replace from winter to summer tires and back again. Still a wobble. It seems to have it's origin at the front left side. I suspect the drive shaft or the inner joint at the gear box side. This also because I have vibration in 1st gear when pulling off or braking on the engine only in 1st gear. When I push the gear lever forward while in 1st gear the vibration is gone. Clucth seems fine at least absolutely no vibration in the clutch even when pulling off in 2nd gear. With a worn or damaged wflywheel or clutch you should feel vibration in the clutch I assume.

Post #93626 28th Feb 2011 1:16 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

From what i have gathered so far, slipping clutches mainly due to 1, crankshaft seal on the flywheel end failing and leeking oil onto the pressure plate due to central fugal forces in opperation. 2, There is a auto adjuster on the clutch housing, this self adjusts as the clutch friction plate wears. clutch dust builds up and jams the auto adjuster which inturn will caush the clutch to slip. My guess is that its a design fault. It remains to be seen if or when these problems will be rectified and if there is a recal to replace faulty parts on all the cars affected

Post #93672 28th Feb 2011 7:40 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

waaxh03 wrote:
chicken george wrote:
sound like pedal needs bleeding as you say. Glad to see LR are checking for van related abuse, Its only fair to non vaners

LR states that the FL2 can tow 2000KG. So therefore it should be able to tow 2000KG. They do not state this is abusing the vehicle or invalidating the warranty

waaxh03

I suppose how long it lasts to some degree depends on where youre trying to towing it, ie on the flat or up a 1 in 3 incline every time when youre trying to back the van in the drive? whether you have lead feet and drive in wellies, and rev it like heck whilst slipping the clutch, I mean its not impossible to burn a brand new clutch out in 10 minutes if youre hamfisted, towing or not. I was only wrong once and thats when I thought I was but wasnt.

2010 Freelander 2 XS Stornaway Grey
2010 Aston DBS Morning Frost
2010 Bentley Continental Brooklands Green

Post #93682 28th Feb 2011 8:25 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Noticed my clutch has started slipping today on a climb on a dual carrigeway. Goes from 2000 rpm to 2400 rpm without any extra road speed and in high gear only. I've never worn a clutch out in almost 40 years of driving.

Spoke to the dealer today who was only positive about the matter and said they'd get it fixed. Thumbs Up Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #94134 4th Mar 2011 3:58 pm
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 

Hi guys

if the GVM of the trailer is less than the stated figure in the owners manual, then they must honour the warranty.

Where problems may arise with warranty related claims concerning trailers/caravans is, where the unbraked mass exceeds the stated figure, i.e. where said trailer hasn't got a braking system installed which is normally actuated via the trailer coupling. With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
1998 Disco1 ES 300Tdi with twin TrueTracs
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S
And some more serious stuff

Post #94303 6th Mar 2011 2:57 am
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Took my FL2 to the dealer today and it's booked in two weeks time for a new DMF and clutch, all under warrenty, no quibbles and Courtesy Car.
Will give them a mention on here when i get it back.
Shame not everyone gets the same service. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #94816 10th Mar 2011 8:59 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 9 <123456789>