Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Clutch Slipping
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

I dont blam you,when i go to see them,if they start giving me thr usual Censored then i will just go to a indpendant and tell them i wont be using them again so dont Censored bother to contact me with your excuses when its time for a service Thumbs Up

Post #62149 3rd Mar 2010 9:24 pm
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Should a clutch last only as long as a set of tires 30,000 miles ?? or should it last about 4 or 5 sets of tires (approx 150,000 miles)

Is this what we should be asking for at the dealer for a 3 year old car.

A new set of tires, 3 year service and a new clutch while your at it Rolling with laughter

Post #62159 3rd Mar 2010 9:57 pm
superspark

any car with a clutch that starts to slip after only 20-30,000 miles is taking the Censored what is the point of having a 4x4 with a clutch thats as usefull as a wet limp lettice on a sunday lunch.
It seems to me that the designers need to get a reality check and get a life,honestly, a chocolate firegaurd would be of more use, IT MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL.

Post #62301 4th Mar 2010 5:38 pm
clemo902

Hi All,
My 57 plate Freelander started the exact same symptons just before Christmas with 22000 miles on it.
At around 2000rpm under acceleration the revs rose by about 500 without any increase in speed. After 2 trips to my local dealer they have said it is the dual mass flywheel that is the problem & I have to book it in for a replacement under warranty. Mine will be the third they have had in with the same symptoms.

Post #62355 4th Mar 2010 9:06 pm
nig295

United Kingdom 

I have just had my clutch replaced for slippage, 2007 40000 mls. They told me it's the way I drive and refused to honour the warrenty. £750 do I have any route of complaint? I have never driven riding the clutch. Evil or Very Mad

Post #63084 10th Mar 2010 4:44 pm
7Iron

Wales 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Having started this thread what seems a long time ago now and having read a large proportion of the responses, what amazes me is the inconsistency shown by LR or its dealers.

My own job is involved with service development for what is the worlds largest independent diesel engine manufacturer and we have worldwide rules, standards and training which ensure both fairness and consistency with warranty decision making.

My perspective here is that LR are a pretty amateur bunch on the aftermarket, could be described like a mudguard, nice and shiny on the outside but full of crap underneath.

Post #65818 7th Apr 2010 8:13 pm
clemo902

Just collected my 57 plate 22k miles Freelander back from the garage where they fitted a new clutch & dual mass flywheel under warranty without quibble.
Just gotta hope this one doesnt start to slip after another 20,000 miles !

Post #65906 9th Apr 2010 10:41 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Just as an aside - have all Freelander 2's got dual mass flywheels or do the later models (09/10) use electronics to take up the "surge". MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #65913 9th Apr 2010 1:34 pm
Coolie

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

i'm a newbie here, but i assume this dual mass clutch unit is the same crap that pug use on their 2.0tdi unit? i had a pug 307 which did the same thing, booted up a hill 1 day in four and the clutch unit let go! Replaced under warranty by an unsurprised pug dealer at 25,000.

i assume the dual mass unit gives a smooth and light clutch action?, but it does seem to rob the car of a definate bite point i always think - which is a little soft. The misses ain't got the hang of finding the bite point on our new Freelander yet.............which is a worry!!! 2010 LR Freelander2 XS TD4_e Manual - Santorini Black (family car for the misses)
2009 OVLOV XC70 D5 - Company motor

Post #65952 9th Apr 2010 9:02 pm
flylr

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

If I had a clutch issue and LR were not playing ball, I would sign up to Which magazines legal service (it's cheap) and then get them to approach LR about these clutch problems on these cars. See if a bit of publicity changes their mind. If it doesn't - I would then go on to autocar magazine, auto express etc etc. at least you know you have given them enough negative press to lose them sales.

I sure as hell wouldn't put up with this kind of service. A clutch going on anything under 80 000 miles is an absolute disgrace.

Don't take it lying down.

Post #66005 10th Apr 2010 2:45 pm
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

I've just gone through this thread to get the gist of this issue. The following seems apparent to me:
1. There is a significant pattern of premature clutch failure in FL2 manuals
2. There is significant inconsistency in the way this is dealt with by dealers and/or Land Rover
3. There is evidence of clutches replaced and the issue recurs 15-25K miles later
4. There is some evidence of reports that the design is not fit for purpose

Personally, a clutch in any car should last 100K miles+ provided that the drivers' style is 'clutch friendly'. I would not expect Land Rover to replace clutches gratis on vehicles that are used heavily off road or regularly tow heavy loads with drivers who 'ride' the clutch significantly at junctions for example, but I imagine most owners here are experiencing premature wear that they've never seen on previous vehicles.

Can I suggest (to the moderators) a poll to get some figures which may (or may not) help owners who wish to pursue their cases more aggressively. It appears that this could be a fairly serious issue an may even develop into a recall?

Post #69680 1st Jun 2010 10:48 am
superspark

Here here Andy T well put and i couldnt agree with you more Thumbs Up

Post #69751 1st Jun 2010 8:47 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Feel free to set up a poll Thumbs Up

Can be done by scrolling down a little further to below the text box were you type when you start a new thread Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #69753 1st Jun 2010 8:51 pm
agroman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

To put another spin on it, my 2nd clutch has stopped slipping recently!
The second clutch was fitted (under warranty) at 22K. Started to slip again at 43K. Now on 50K and recently I have been unable to make it slip even on a hill with a trailer.

There have been some threads relating to the self adjusting mechanism not working / sticking. Lately I have done a lot of off road work on rough fields / tracks, I wonder if all that vibration may have helped move adjuster somewhere?? Rough terrain is making seat creak though!

So I wonder if all our issues are down to poor self adjuster design and not actually ware? 1998 Feelander XDI Hardback - Gone
2002 Freelander TD4 GS Hardback - Gone
2004 Freelander TD4 HSE Stationwaggon - Gone
2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS manual - Gone
2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto - Gone
2013 SD4 GS arrived April 2013

Post #69759 1st Jun 2010 9:33 pm
schmunzel

HELP the clutch

Hey all !!
My Freelander 1 has exactly the issues you guys all are having with your cars!
No clutch lastet longer than half a year, and I am now in legal battle with the garage in the UK who did the first two, and am (probably) soon in legal battle with landrover in germany over the last two (though to be fair after a lot of heated discussion, the 2nd go in germany was on warranty)
but I have no luck, as the last one started slipping, to.
The same story - upwards 1800 rpm for 3 to 500 rpm, sometimes more. Its better when its cold. Additional load makes the problem worse.

Has anybody had any luck with getting the issue sorted ???

I would be happy for any hints

Sch

Post #87190 9th Jan 2011 2:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 9 <123456789>