Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Clutch Slipping
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
alanbgt

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Bali Blue

TH White (Swindon) told me the same - can't make it slip and can't find anything - at the 45k service.
It's bad when you have to want an intermittent fault to become permanent, just so they will accept what they know is a problem. MY10 TD4.e HSE
Bali Blue

Post #140161 18th Apr 2012 10:23 pm
widget

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

Mine slipped more after a longish journey when everything was fully up to temperature.
HTH JB

Post #140194 19th Apr 2012 11:29 am
Stevea

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Oh Joy!,
Had my 57 plate FL2 from new.... had the clutch replaced under warranty @ 30,000 miles (even though the car was 1 mouth out of warrant) - now, 16 months later and a further 15k miles..... the bl**dy clutch is slipping again - exactly the same symptoms as before (under acceleration, 4th, 5th and 6th - slipping by about 300rpm before recovering!)...

In two minds what to do - try and take it back to Landrover (even though the car is 4.5 years old and the replacement clutch was fitted over 12 months ago now) and try to argue the case, or just take it to a independent and pay for a new clutch... although who's say's it's not going to happen again in another 15k miles.

(the car has never been off road, and does not have a tow bar!)

Happy days Evil or Very Mad 2008 SE, HSE wheels, Black Premium Leather, Privacy Glass, Sports Kit, Side Steps, various LED upgrades and Clear side indicators.

Post #141869 4th May 2012 4:09 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

alanbgt wrote:
TH White (Swindon) told me the same - can't make it slip and can't find anything - at the 45k service.
It's bad when you have to want an intermittent fault to become permanent, just so they will accept what they know is a problem.

Had mine renewed today, whole clutch assembly, now like new again.
They said if it was due to wear I had to pay but if they found a fault in the components it would be warranty.
They phoned to say that the Pressure Plate had indeed worn, thats the steel bit, not the friction disc, ? thus it was a fault so no charge Razz

Post #141885 4th May 2012 5:19 pm
dchapman

United Kingdom 

I have a 60 plate FL2 manual with 29000 on the clock. My Clutch is slipping in 4th, 5th and 6 th on motorway driving from 1800 revs up.
I don't get any slipping in 1st , 2nd or 3rd though.... frustrating situation as I explained this to the LR garage on my service yesterday and they say that they cannot find anything wrong. Frankly this is impossible as it slips every time I drive it excellerating from 1800 revs up. LR have said to come back if persists.... But I am thinking of taking this thread in to them so they can see how many of us have this problem with the car. LagoGrey FL2 GS TD4E

Post #143514 19th May 2012 12:27 pm
ad210358

England 

They know there is a problem with them, you need to take it back and get them to run it up the road and they will see it is not acceptable, saying they cannot find anything wrong does not mean that there is nothing wrong

Post #143515 19th May 2012 1:17 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

You need to do as I did, take the service manager out with you for a quick spin round the block and show him, then he can see what you mean, and say oh yes youre right it does slip doesnt it. Rolling Eyes

Post #143516 19th May 2012 1:27 pm
dchapman

United Kingdom 
FL 2 manual slipping clutch

clemo902 wrote:
Just collected my 57 plate 22k miles Freelander back from the garage where they fitted a new clutch & dual mass flywheel under warranty without quibble.
Just gotta hope this one doesnt start to slip after another 20,000 miles !

Which LR dealer did you use? LagoGrey FL2 GS TD4E

Post #143517 19th May 2012 1:42 pm
dchapman

United Kingdom 
Slipping clutch repaired no problems.

I took my FL2 manual (29K miles) into Chipperfield LR and went for a test drive with the service manager ( as recommended _ thanks guys) to show them when it slipped. The LR SM was great, experienced the slipping clutch and they repaired it for me with no problems under warranty. I just picked up my car this morning all fixed and beautiful with the new clutch....So I'm really happy. Thanks Chipperfield LR. LagoGrey FL2 GS TD4E

Post #144697 1st Jun 2012 1:43 pm
Spencerbabe

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Sumatra Black
Slipping clutch fixed

My 09 TD4e HSE clutch was slipping in 4th, 5th & 6th gears mainly on motorways. This was fixed under warranty by Kentdale Land Rover at 47k miles earlier this week without any problem.

Post #144701 1st Jun 2012 2:21 pm
7Iron

Wales 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Doing it again !!

I started this thread, 2 and 1/2 years and 29000 miles ago, when my clutch first started slipping, guess what, the replacment is doing exactly the same.

Has anyone been able to get LR to replace a second time, or can anyone tell me what LR are charging for replacement.

I find it odd that I am having to change more clutches than tyres whilst I am driving carefully enough to be still on the original brake pads at 56k.

Post #152436 26th Aug 2012 7:53 pm
m.g.jones

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Narvik Black
Clutch slipping

Just had clutch and DMF replaced as was slipping in 4th 5th and 6th.
Land Rover contributed £250.
Gordon Lamb Land Rover Chesterfield got the price down to £860 instead of £1142 they originally quoted.
All in was just less than £700, still not happy having to replace clutch after 52000 miles.
Not as bad as it could have been though.
Got to replace boot switch now as it's broke inside.
Fingers crossed.
And yes CG I do tow a caravan. 07 SE manual, Narvick black.

Post #154264 9th Sep 2012 9:08 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

A number have said they had clutch replaced and it's slipping again - the key point is that you needed to have clutch and DMF replaced. It's the DMF that causes the problem. If they just replaced the clutch, it's not surprising if it goes again. If the DMF is at fault, then a warranty claim should succeed. Even out of warranty, there's enough evidence in various threads here to make a case. As regards the garage not being able to find the problem, make them go for a drive with you to demonstrate. Obviously if there are no derestricted roads nearby that's going to be a problem in this case.

Post #154292 10th Sep 2012 3:39 pm
pooch

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black
fa

Rich1647 wrote:
Bone wrote:
Hi All,

Took my 2007 Freelander 2 into Team Valley Land Rover yesterday with clutch slip when changing from 5th-6th gear. Car has 39000 miles on the clock and they have got it authorised no problem at all. Very Happy

Picking car up Monday. Cannot praise their service enough!
Thanks Bone.Glad you're getting looked after by your dealer there.I can at least quote a case like yours now as I prepare to go back to war with Land R over as there is obviously a widespread problem on the early models.Cheers Rich.

Hi Rich
my FL2 TD4 2007 broke down on motor way, towed to LR garage, told need new gearbox (automatic) cost 3355euros + labour. LR headoffice France would not contribute towards costs.
It seems to me that the 2007 Freelanders have a defective gearbox and LR do not want to accept liability. Did you have any luck with them in the end

Post #156296 2nd Oct 2012 9:34 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue
Re: fa

[quote="pooch"][quote="Rich1647"]

Bone wrote:
Hi All,

Hi Rich
my FL2 TD4 2007 broke down on motor way, towed to LR garage, told need new gearbox (automatic) cost 3355euros + labour. LR headoffice France would not contribute towards costs.
It seems to me that the 2007 Freelanders have a defective gearbox and LR do not want to accept liability. Did you have any luck with them in the end

You might get a better response on the thread about 2007 auto gearboxes rather than one about manual gearboxes and clutch problems.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic8909.html

Post #156305 2nd Oct 2012 10:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>