Home > My Freelander 2 > ..is broken.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Frobius

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue
..is broken.

My Freelander 2 is indeed broken.

I woke up to a knock on the door this morning to be greeted by a guy telling me I wasn't going to like him. I actually thought he was begging door to door at first! But no, turns out he's driven up the back of my car as he was driving along the road.

He claimed it was because he couldn't see properly because of his windscreen being all frosted up. WTF was the ***%*%&"£ doing driving his car if he couldn't see out of it? In hindsight I should have called the police then and there. Driving up a bloody residential area at speed (I'll come on to that) not being able to see a damn thing at a time when there's kids walking to school and nursery along the road?! Driving without due care and attention at a minimum I'd say. Anyhoo.. luckily he is insured and I got his details so that side of life should be fine.

So I have a look at the damage to my car. Will put pics on later but essentially, he hit the rear right hand side of the car hard enough to make my offside rear wheel turn in to the left as if it were a front wheel going round a corner. Never mind the damage to the tyre, bumper, and all the metalwork under the bumper. I actually found bits of his headlight about two feet in front of my car to highlight how fast he must have been going.

On a plus note though, I called Marshall's Accident Aftercare off the wee card that I got when I bought the car at about 0815 and by 0930, the car was on a low loader being taken back to Bedford for repairs. Courtesy car has all been arranged - a lovely 09 plate HSE manual (hopefully an _e so I can play with that) which will be delivered to my door tomorrow morning. Can't fault Marshall's service one bit. Totally professional and sorting everything out for me. I've never had a bad thing to say about Marshall's in Bedford and I'm not going to start. Granted the Accident Aftercare thing is not just LR specific but I am still more than impressed with how simple it all was.

Will see how it goes over coming weeks with the extent of the repairs. Clearly I'm looking at a new bumper, some metalwork and some new suspension parts. Joy. Big Cry 09MY FL2 Td4 XS, Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Martinique Blue.. oh so very blue..

Post #48416 8th Oct 2009 4:01 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

sounds like your in the same situation i was in just prior to become an FL2 owner.

My Kia Sportage was parked on road, transit van man drove into it saying sun was in his eyes

I did call the police, they came, and saw no injuries and the road was half open, so they took details and left, no looking into the fact at 8am somebody had driven in to a parked 4x4 and knocked it back 6' and over a small garden wall, just after a lady had walked past with her kids and a push chair.

Hope it gets sorted out for you, mine was a write off, but it did have half the front end missing, and was made in Korea Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #48421 8th Oct 2009 5:11 pm
Firestar

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
Re: ..is broken.

Frobius wrote:

He claimed it was because he couldn't see properly because of his windscreen being all frosted up. WTF was the ***%*%&"£ doing driving his car if he couldn't see out of it?

Many years ago, my youngest lad was knocked off his bike as he was leaving the shop on his morning paper round - by one of the shop's regulars. The same excuse - and he only lived 100 yds from the shop, too! Fortunately only the bike was really harmed.

I hope his insurance is good and it all gets sorted quickly .... not sure I'd want it back repaired, though, if it's been that badly bent!

Post #48423 8th Oct 2009 5:45 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Quote:
My Kia Sportage was parked on road

If you still had that motor, I would drive all the way down to your road and smash into it for nothing. It's the least I could do.

Laughing

Post #48426 8th Oct 2009 6:55 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I would put the kettle on for you if you did Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #48431 8th Oct 2009 7:32 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Do you want me to park a tractor or some other farm machine in your road ready for next time he tries a bit of ice driving? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #48433 8th Oct 2009 8:17 pm
Delta Mike

Scotland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Luckily the fella told you what happened rather than just taking off and leaving it for you to find later in the morning! All too common...

Post #48438 8th Oct 2009 8:47 pm
Frobius

Got the courtesy car today. a 2010 model HSE TD4_e in guess what... WHITE!

Looks good. I think all it needs is tinted windows and xenons to finish off the package. Have played a bit with the stop start and I must say, I like it.

As for my car, the body shop called me this morning and apparently it's not as bad as it looks. The damaged suspension parts are pretty much bolt on so they can just be replaced. The bumper will obviously get replaced and the metal damage behind it isn't structural so can be repaired reasonably easily. 2 weeks they reckon once the third party insurer agrees to pay. Given that apparently the guy that hit me hasn't actually called his insurance company yet might delay things, but I could be in a worse car in the mean time! Very Happy 09MY FL2 Td4 XS, Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Martinique Blue.. oh so very blue..

Post #48469 9th Oct 2009 2:00 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

who you insured with?

Obviously full comprehensive, so there should be no delay in getting the work started as yours will pay and recvover it from the other policy.......

If you had any childs car seats in, get them replaced too, as a matter of course, all cover by the insurance, i did went it happened to my parked car, just told me to skip the old one and let them know the cost to replace and the money was in my account 2 days later Smile Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #48471 9th Oct 2009 2:25 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

what was the other guy driving? What damage was done to his?

Post #48475 9th Oct 2009 2:43 pm
Frobius

I'm with Sainsbury's but I've specifically asked that the claim be taken direct from their insurance without touching mine. I know that would be the simplest way but I don't want to have to pay an excess up front then get it back (it's my money and my interest!) and also I dont want my insurance paying for anything even if it does get claimed back. This was his fault and his insurance can sort it out. If it takes longer, so be it. His insurance will be paying for what is really a very nice courtesy car and I'm not all that bothered how long I 'have' to drive it! Whistle

No kid seats either. He did knock my DAB radio from it's mount though. It still works though. The white beast has DAB built in though Very Happy 09MY FL2 Td4 XS, Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Martinique Blue.. oh so very blue..

Post #48476 9th Oct 2009 2:44 pm
Frobius

Here's one for you.

I don't have a sunroof on my XS so I might just be doing something wrong. The sunroof buttons on this HSE don't seem to do anything at all. The windows all work and stuff but when I press the sunroof button either front bit or back, nothing happens. No clicks no nothing. I've checked the fuse under the glovebox and it's fine. Even tried something from an age old thread about holding down the slid button for 20s with the engine running but alas, nothing.

Am I doing something wrong or is it just Censored ? 09MY FL2 Td4 XS, Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Martinique Blue.. oh so very blue..

Post #48478 9th Oct 2009 3:09 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Censored Laughing

Try checking the buttons are connected acess via the light unit in front Idea Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #48479 9th Oct 2009 3:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1