Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
Mosman, Sydney

Off Topic Just been noisy Embarassed

Anybody know the Mosman area of Sydney Question

A couple I know have just moved there from the UK and I was wondering what the areas like, looks nice enough at $800 per week Shocked

So if you see some Ginger whiter than White bloke lost in the next few days ....... Laugh at him Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #87832 13th Jan 2011 7:46 pm
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

One of the best suburbs in Sydney. Very expensive, harbor views all over the place. Close to the dearest on the north side of the harbor bridge.

Post #87839 13th Jan 2011 8:59 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

The apartments on Bond Street there and what I've seen of it, it looks fantastic

new life for them, especially when it his partner whose had the transfer there and he is on a partners pass and will need to fine work.

Bit jealous TBH, new start, new country with everything to look forward too Mr. Green Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #87844 13th Jan 2011 9:06 pm
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

Well they are certainly starting at the top Smile A very low crime rate, close enough to Sydney CBD to comfortably commute by bus or ferry. Most of us can't afford to live there. A very pretty place and quite 'English'...by that I mean rather cultured. No four wheeling there so not all good. Lucky they didn't move to Queensland Exclamation

Post #87872 13th Jan 2011 10:49 pm
cdn_downunder

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

We live in Cremorne, the next suburb over. Lovely spot, as mentioned rather posh, beautiful views and green belts for walking (Taronga Zoo and Sydney Harbour National Park are in Mosman) with a few lovely harbour beaches. Lots of cafe culture (for the Mosman 'ladies who lunch' Laughing ) and only a short jaunt to Manly Beach which is one of Sydney's finest ocean beaches.

Having been in Canada visiting family for the past month (in the snow) discussing this is making me rather homesick for the 30 degree summer weather we left behind Big Cry Will be headed home in a week or so though... with our new FL2 waiting at the dealer for us to pick up Very Happy 11MY SE SD4 in Lago Grey just arrived with a free Garmin thrown in! This could be the start of a beautiful relationship (I'm an eternal optimist, and former FL1 owner)!

Post #87885 14th Jan 2011 2:42 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Your not missing much, after 12000 miles travelling they said it was raining Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #87894 14th Jan 2011 9:37 am
LRFTW

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Baltic Blue

From my limited experience there are also quite a few ex-pats in the area, evidenced by a trip to "The Mosman Hotel" or whatever the massive pub there was Rolling Eyes

Post #87915 14th Jan 2011 1:04 pm
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

They would also have had a terrible exchange rate.
I get paid in £'s still, and my wages are crap compared to when I first got here 6 years ago.

Post #87916 14th Jan 2011 1:07 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

what will he do with about cleaning his barby? Englishmen have to retain the ashes Very Happy At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #87919 14th Jan 2011 1:44 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Laughing

If they get clobbered on the exchange rate, its can't be good for them, as his a house husband till he finds a job, fitted kitchens here and i think is a plumber by trade.

Must be a strange feeling going so far, to a land with no friend, just new work collegues (for her)

saying that, If i was in a position to do so I would look into it, though it would be a little harder as i wouldn't be transfering between the same company just if different sides of the world Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #87930 14th Jan 2011 2:41 pm
LRFTW

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Baltic Blue

I would move to Oz, if it was 8 hours away... it just feels too far from friends and family on the other side of the world

Post #87966 14th Jan 2011 6:48 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

just realised my 'joke' doesnt work as the bbq of favour in OZ is gas powered, so not really a bbq just an outdoor cooker, Ive had that discussion with ozzies and brits who have lived in oz, they all go for gas, philistines
Rolling Eyes

perhaps because ozzies dont get ashes? groan At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #87969 14th Jan 2011 7:07 pm
cdn_downunder

npinks wrote:
Laughing

If they get clobbered on the exchange rate, its can't be good for them, as his a house husband till he finds a job, fitted kitchens here and i think is a plumber by trade.

Must be a strange feeling going so far, to a land with no friend, just new work collegues (for her)

saying that, If i was in a position to do so I would look into it, though it would be a little harder as i wouldn't be transfering between the same company just if different sides of the world

I did the same thing moving from Canada 10 years ago and have not looked back since, truly. It is tough being so far from family but we get back every 18 months or so to visit, (and have no shortage of friends and family coming to take advantage of free accommodation and the reversed season) but the quality of life 'down under' is pretty amazing, bar the occasional flood/drought/shark/nasty spider, of course Wink

I predict he will have no trouble finding work as the building industry is booming in Oz with great demand for skilled tradesmen, many earning upwards of a hundred grand (AUD) due to the demand. Australia has two engines to the economy, resources and the building sector and as long as one is moving along, then so is the economy, hence our 'stimulus' went into the building sector and kept us sailing through the GFC when China & India's resource demand faultedred, so much so that we had our 8th or 9th rate rise just prior to xmas! 11MY SE SD4 in Lago Grey just arrived with a free Garmin thrown in! This could be the start of a beautiful relationship (I'm an eternal optimist, and former FL1 owner)!

Post #87992 14th Jan 2011 8:55 pm
phil_wkl

Australia 

I'll be heading that way later this year. Expecting $600 per week rent for somewhere in the North shore I think...not decided really, any further tips would be great.
Hopefully I'll be importing my car too, hence previous posts.
Exchange rate is really bad though Sad Phil

Post #88045 15th Jan 2011 12:22 am
cdn_downunder

phil_wkl wrote:
I'll be heading that way later this year. Expecting $600 per week rent for somewhere in the North shore I think...not decided really, any further tips would be great.
Hopefully I'll be importing my car too, hence previous posts.
Exchange rate is really bad though Sad

No problem finding a nice 1bd+study or older 2 bedroom on the lower North Shore (Mosman, Cremorne, Neutral Bay, Kirribilli, North Sydney, McMahon's Point, Cremorne, Crows Nest) or a larger place a little further out (Lane Cove, Willoughby, Artarmon, St Leonards, Chatswood). Lower North Shore is great for local to the city, transport & cafe culture, try www.domain.com.au / www.realestate.com.au / www.myhome.com.au and have a look and it should give you a good idea. Drop me any questions you might have and I'll do what I can to assist. Importing your car is another matter... 11MY SE SD4 in Lago Grey just arrived with a free Garmin thrown in! This could be the start of a beautiful relationship (I'm an eternal optimist, and former FL1 owner)!

Post #88079 15th Jan 2011 1:46 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>