« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > FL2 needs Undertray for stiffness
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White
FL2 needs Undertray for stiffness

I noticed in the 'Welcome' Thread that 'Simmo' was asking about fitting an undertray.

I cannot find any real info except that the FL2 needs to have the undertray fitted for stiffness - as the MY 2011 says

"The many functions of Terrain Response are underpinned by the high levels of body stiffness which provide the best foundation for excellent ride and handling characteristics as well as off-road performance. A structural undertray on the front sub-frame improves steering precision as well as protecting the underside of the vehicle and four point engine mounting aids engine stability and improves refinement."

Does anyone know if the tray was changed/stiffened on facelift? FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #441401 6th May 2024 10:16 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I don’t know if there were any changes but when I had occasion to remove the under tray from my MY2007 FL2 it was pretty heavy and moulded to give it strength and there were many more bolts than would be needed for a simple cover.

Post #441404 6th May 2024 11:17 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red
Re: FL2 needs Undertray for stiffness

IanMetro wrote:
I noticed in the 'Welcome' Thread that 'Simmo' was asking about fitting an undertray.

I cannot find any real info except that the FL2 needs to have the undertray fitted for stiffness - as the MY 2011 says

"The many functions of Terrain Response are underpinned by the high levels of body stiffness which provide the best foundation for excellent ride and handling characteristics as well as off-road performance. A structural undertray on the front sub-frame improves steering precision as well as protecting the underside of the vehicle and four point engine mounting aids engine stability and improves refinement."

Does anyone know if the tray was changed/stiffened on facelift?

All under trays are the same. It is very likely a structural member though, as it would reduce subframe distribution under load.

Many vehicles use similar items to increase stiffness of subframes. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #441405 6th May 2024 11:42 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1