« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Alternator pulley
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Nbuuifx

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Alternator pulley

Well, this week's failed component was the clutch in the alternator pulley. It had seized so it could no longer freewheel.

I bought the pulley set with new belt. I also bought the splined tool. I didn't get the more expensive one as the middle part was advertised as a T50 which I already had.

Symptoms were very noisy idle, and a metallic noise if you made it struggle under load. Visually the tensioner was bouncing in and out on idle.

Attempt one was to remove the pulley in situ. I got everything to fit well and made a lever to apply pressure whilst turning, but the T50 rounded off the splined bit inside ๐Ÿ˜•

Figured I might as well take it off to look at on the bench. Removed the fuel filter (had one waiting on the shelf to replace it) - moved the power steering pump out of the way, undid the 2 bolts holding the alternator in. The alternator was still held tight and wouldn't budge - managed to lever it out but the casting snapped at the back, so the lower mount was now useless ๐Ÿ˜ž

Not sure if it was cracked and damaged from the extra load of the seized pulley.

Looked online and found a Freelander being broken less than a mile away, got in touch and agreed to buy the alternator which just happened to be the exact same model number and the same 180A Bosch unit.

The clutch was ok on that one, I tried for a few seconds to undo it but could see that the reason the T50 rounded off the other one was because there were twice as many splines, so the T50 fits but only drives every other spline and it is then weaker. I didn't want to break this one so left it on and fitted it as it was.

The alternator went back in easy enough, idler pulley was easy, as was the tensioner and belt.

Primed up the fuel filter with a hand priming bulb fitted inline and it started straight up, switched off, removed priming pump and it still started fine.

All sounds great now, so back to everything working. Not had much luck recently so it has had about 2 weeks of working perfectly each time!

Not ideal with the original alternator breaking, but quite lucky to have one being broken so close, and now have the clutch pulley spare, should this one go.

Post #440569 2nd Apr 2024 8:19 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

In spite of the problems how lucky are you

Caught it in time with reports of Aux belts letting go and creating more problems

Post #440570 2nd Apr 2024 10:17 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Yes, indeed - IIRC failed aux belts have been known cause the cambelt to slip by getting caught in it. Jules

Post #440573 2nd Apr 2024 11:29 pm
Nbuuifx

I guess you're right,

It just seems to have been a constant run of issues recently. It has spent all of this year and some of last been driven carefully because it was making a noise.

I get everything sorted and something else goes a few weeks later.

It was lovely to drive it again with everything feeling perfect yesterday!

To be fair on it, it goes off road every day, nothing extreme, but enough that a regular car wouldn't make it (mainly ground clearance).

It is starting to feel a little like Trigger's broom now ๐Ÿคฃ

Next on my list of things to fail. Front driver's side wheel bearing or rear passenger side wheel bearing (no noises or anything but I've just done the other 2 within a few weeks of each other). It is still on the original subframes - tempted to spray some Lanoguard under there in the hopes of preserving them longer. I've also been keeping on top of a growing patch of rust just in front of one of the rear wheels. I'm keeping my eye on a nasty looking power steering pipe (the common section to go). I get an intermittent error on the Autel about the haldex pump, and have a minor leak from around there, so need to service it again at some point.

All good fun. I've given up listing everything I've done, partially because the list is getting too long but also it is becoming confusing as some of the jobs are getting to the point of repeating them now!

3 years of ownership, 14 year old vehicle, 200k miles (30k done by us).

Fantastic to drive, perfect for the job it is used for.

Post #440582 3rd Apr 2024 9:42 am
Nbuuifx

And..... It is broken again Sad

Worked perfectly since fitting, then yesterday the battery light came on.

Battery voltage with engine off is 12.0V.
Battery voltage with engine on is 11.8V.

Sad

Post #441044 22nd Apr 2024 9:26 am
Nbuuifx

Well that was fun after work. Alternator back out again, started to strip it down and found the lower brush had jammed/melted the plastic.

Replaced that part from the other alternator, decided to put the new pulley on whilst I was there. Back together and now charging again.

Post #441054 22nd Apr 2024 7:26 pm
Grimdog

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Barolo Black

Happy days.......for now!

Post #441092 23rd Apr 2024 11:05 pm
RPoul87

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Recommend genuine power steering hoses when you do get stuck into that and order well in advance as some bits arenโ€™t always in stock, I learnt the hard way with after markets (allmakes). Corrado VR6 Mystic Blue - Gone
Freelander 2 Orkney Grey

Post #441119 24th Apr 2024 8:49 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1