Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Automatic Gearbox oil level and replacement.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DirtyDuck

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue
Automatic Gearbox oil level and replacement.

Now I know what is supposed to happen ….. but checking if I’ve done something wrong or any other suggestions.

2014 2.2 TD4. Owned since 2017, so unlikely anyone else has changed or topped up the auto oil (was dealer serviced)

So I was just checking the level ahead of a change. More to see the state of the oil and see if the drain plus were seized etc.

Engine was warm. Done about 3 miles from cold. Before i stopped it draining through the overflow (centre torx only) i let out the amount in the attached photo. Engine was off.

Now I’m not sure what to do when I drain and refill. Do I put back in the volume of oil I get out, or do I follow protocol and allow the excess to drain out. Or have I failed with protocol. Drained oil was about 45C.

The other question I have is the colour of the oil. Looks a bit darker than I was hoping or expecting. On a tissue it doesn’t look awful mind you, but certainly no red hint left in it.

Car has done 83,000km/50,000 miles.

Post #440495 31st Mar 2024 6:30 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Put the oil back in, then change it. And put the same volume back.
The correct oil level is found with the engine running and the centre plug removed at about 60°c.
At 50000 it's probably just the right time for a change. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #440496 31st Mar 2024 7:20 am
DirtyDuck

Thanks. I later figured that’s where I went wrong. Putting back same volume kinda feels right.

Have a little issue with getting the filler undone at the moment, but off for an adapter so I can get my windy gun on it. While leaving with anti seize in the mean time.

Putting the oil onto kitchen towel and looking up various guides it’s at the “not knackered but change now” condition.

Post #440497 31st Mar 2024 7:28 am
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Check out Modified Gibbons method in search

Post #440499 31st Mar 2024 10:18 am
DirtyDuck

Thanks

Post #440500 31st Mar 2024 10:34 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

DirtyDuck wrote:
Thanks. I later figured that’s where I went wrong. Putting back same volume kinda feels right.

Have a little issue with getting the filler undone at the moment, but off for an adapter so I can get my windy gun on it. While leaving with anti seize in the mean time.

Putting the oil onto kitchen towel and looking up various guides it’s at the “not knackered but change now” condition.

The plugs do have a habit of becoming stupidly tight no matter how loosely you refit them. A few extensions and a breaker bar or the ugga dugga gun generally get them out. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #440507 31st Mar 2024 4:33 pm
DirtyDuck

All done now. If anyone’s come here looking for inspiration, I can add the following summary.

It’s actually pretty easy. Having the engine running for the final top up is essential to avoid a significant underfill. Volumes for me:-

Even with engine running and at 50C, mine was 500ml “overfilled”
From the factory. I have chosen to replicate that factory volume.

In addition another litre comes out when you turn the engine off.

And when you drain it all, I had a 3.6 litre drain. About 50% of the total fill.

Although not specified, I did 3 changes. That gives you 50% change on the first swap, 75% on the second and 87.5% on the 3rd. It’s a law of diminishing returns. Twice would be the sweet spot I think. (The revised gibbons method I felt was too risky to get wrong)

And the payback. OMG, smoother gear changes. On the first and even better on the 2nd. On the flat the changes are imperceptible. Better than I ever recall TBH. We’ve had the cat since 21,000 miles. Is recommend a single change every 25,000 miles - it’s easy if done when you have the under tray off for the oil change.

Final tips:-

Undo the fill plug before you start. I needed a socket extension bar so I could get the leverage. If it had been my only car I would have been off in a taxi!

You’ll need and 17mm hex drive, which you probably don’t have. And two torx. And you should change the washer and o ring on the drain.

Post #440519 1st Apr 2024 8:54 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Well done. THe fillerg plug can be very difficult to remove so should always be checked before draining the ATF.

IIRC someone on here had to weld a nut on top of it as the hex pwas to ocorroded. Jules

Post #440520 1st Apr 2024 10:38 am
NeilTD4

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Mine was better after 2 changes, but I think I had the oil temp closer to the specified 60 degrees the second time, so the level was probably more accurate.

It's very satisfying to do things like that yourself.

Post #440524 1st Apr 2024 12:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1