Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > SD4 auto 'misfire' after stopping then driving again.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Tpot

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Just to add something else to the mix. Our 2014 SD4 had the same lurching and vague sense that it wasn't accelerating cleanly with the occasional violent lurching. Only when the outside temperature was above about 15C.

After a year or two of adding fuel additives, which seemed to help, it became worse and produced some EGR related DTCs.

Garage changed EGR valve a year ago and it's been fine since. Car was on about 90K at the time.

Post #437520 4th Dec 2023 5:59 pm
Tominator

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Orkney Grey

Hi all

I haven't had the opportunity to replace the CPS sensor connector as yet, but with that caveat...

Over the last few days I have experimented with waiting until the problem is extremely prominent, then pulling over and disconnecting the MAF sensor. Albeit I go into restricted performance, the problem is immediately gone and the car drives smoothly. Aside from the 'misfire' itself, everything about the drive is smoother, gear changes, etc...

Do you feel that means the MAF is the problem, or does disconnecting it also disable other things and therefore might be a red herring?

Many thanks again!

Tom.

Post #437807 15th Dec 2023 9:31 am
FL2ukkent

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

a MAF has two sensing wires. One is heated by an electrical current, the other is not. As the air flows across the heated wire, it cools down. When the temperature difference between the two sensing wires changes, the MAF sensor automatically increases or decreases the current to the heated wire to compensate.

So ambient temperature will be a factor.

I had a suzuki grand vitara diesel which started to hesitate and stutter when accelerating or driving hard changing the MAF sensor fixed the problem, but unlike LR no air path recalibration was required.

The vitara was a good car, the MAF was the only the second fault i had in five years of owning it until the timing chain broke at 65mph on the M26 😡 hence i now own a FL2 😊
The other fault was the long bolt holding all the break and clutch pedals in the pedal box broke 😡

Post #437815 15th Dec 2023 6:40 pm
Tominator

New decent quality MAF sensor fitted and Air Path recalibration done and the problem remains!

I'm actually at the point of heading to We Buy Any Car!!!!

Post #437854 18th Dec 2023 2:42 pm
Tominator

Problem Solved... Almost!

Hi all.

Just to let you know, the issue was ultimately tracked down to a faulty EGR Valve.

Valve and Cooler now replaced and the vehicle drives a lot better. I still get the occasional 'misfire', but only when hot and when pulling away in 1st. I think this may be down to one of the re-calibrations not being done be the garage, so will take it back, but also considering buying a diagnostics tool that can do that.

Thanks again for your help,

Tom.

Post #439891 7th Mar 2024 2:31 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12