Home > General > Turning off front parking sensors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
cryptofunded

Brazil 2010 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Galway Green
Turning off front parking sensors

Hi,

Recently installed a bull bar for my FL2 2010 HSE i6, but parking sensors have not given me a good time. I removed the fuse (FB1) for them but every time I turn the car on a high beep comes in. So what I want to do is remove the connectors just for the front parking sensors. Do I have to remove the front bumpers? I have tried to block it with duck tape but that just won't work. I wonder if I turn the front connectors off the whole syste would turn off so I don't want to run that risk.

Post #436716 2nd Nov 2023 7:04 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

There are external parking sensors on this bullbar.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic33751.html Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #436717 2nd Nov 2023 7:33 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

You should be able fit the PDC module for rear sensors only model, which only has 2 sockets, one socket for power and data, and the other socket for rear sensors.

Unfortunately if you do anything to disable the front sensors, the system will beep a warning and sometimes flash the light on the PDC button too. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #436718 2nd Nov 2023 7:36 pm
Grimdog

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Barolo Black

Are bull bars necessary in Rio? For the carnival perhaps? They are not pedestrian friendly, take it from a firefighter who has seen first hand the damage they cause. Do yourself and others a favour and take them off. No worries about the parking sensors then đź‘Ť.

Post #436722 3rd Nov 2023 1:07 am
cryptofunded

Going to answer 1 by 1:

1. Lightwater: mine is an adaptation, so therefore it does not have the right spots to fit it in and I also don’t want wiring hanging (my friend suggested to just place it in the front, he could help me but that’s not a good idea imo)

2. Nodge68: idk what you mean, I understand that if I disconnect the front it wouldn’t be a solution, but what is the way to go? Would I have to take out rear bumper and use the module mentioned? Please go into more detail pls

3. Grimdog: since I own cars I have them as a must, long story short 2 main reasons: safety (saved my moms life once the old one rolled over, served as a shock absorver that helped the car stop), cow bumpers: I often go camping and offroading and as you noted my city, but the country side has a TON of unpredictable animals and I’ve heard people who ran into cows(I almost did once at night as well) and had pretty bad injuries. So yeah, it’s not because carnival but it was worth the laugh, tks

Post #436723 3rd Nov 2023 1:35 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Derby, Western Australia, a dozen cars with bullbar & aerial, one without!

Click image to enlarge

We just don't drive at dawn, dusk or night. The kangaroos come in multiples so you will get one on the front & maybe another 2 on the side. Then there is buffalo & camels.

Our other issue is payload (as with most cars), we are right on the limit. A good chance of destroying tyres in the outback (has happened) so a second spare wheel has more value than a bullbar.

Spoke to a roadtrain driver, he lost 18 tyres in one go. We once did 2 tyres in one go but they were repairable. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #436724 3rd Nov 2023 6:52 am
Nodge68

cryptofunded wrote:

2. Nodge68: idk what you mean, I understand that if I disconnect the front it wouldn’t be a solution, but what is the way to go? Would I have to take out rear bumper and use the module mentioned? Please go into more detail pls

The GS model in the UK only has rear sensors, so the controller module is designed for rear sensors only.
If you fit this module in place of your front and rear sensor module, then it should work fine without any errors, as there's no socket on the module to plug the front sensors in to, so you can leave them unplugged.
The module is behind the LR boot side panel.
The PDC module is visible at the top of this picture, this being a front and rear sensor module, because it has 3 plugs connected, a rear sensor only module has just 2 plug holes.

2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #436729 3rd Nov 2023 5:09 pm
cryptofunded

Nodge68 does that mean i have to buy something online and install? How does the proccess go? I’m sorry just not on the same technical level here, can you detail step by step what I have to do ?

Post #436731 3rd Nov 2023 5:43 pm
cryptofunded

Nodge68 does that mean i have to buy something online and install? How does the proccess go? I’m sorry just not on the same technical level here, can you detail step by step what I have to do ?

Post #436732 3rd Nov 2023 5:43 pm
Nodge68

cryptofunded wrote:

Yes, you need to by a rear sensor only PDC module.
Like this. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256018599723?mk...media=COPY
It only has 2 plug sockets, not 3 like yours will have.
There might be some coding needed too, but I'm pretty sure it should work without. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #436763 4th Nov 2023 8:29 pm
cryptofunded

Do I really need the new PDC module?

In the Brazilian version of this forum (Confraria), there someone suggested to just buy a cheap solution on Ali and connect on the sockets, shouldn't that give me less hastle?

Post #436859 7th Nov 2023 8:13 pm
Nodge68

It doesn't need to be a new module, just a rear only one which can be second hand.

I don't believe you can't simply remove the PDC, as the audio system will beep if a fault is detected. The only way around this is to disable the PDC completely from the CCF register.

In this case the audio system is programmed to provide an audible noise in response to distances measured by the PDC module. The audio system is also programmed to beep if there's an issue with the PDC module, be that the sensors are faulty, or the PDC module isn't there at all.

It's not easy to make changes to modern vehicles, simply because many modules are connected together. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #436880 8th Nov 2023 7:04 pm
cryptofunded

Ok, on the (rear ones) used solution, would programming (what kind of?) be needed as well? That just seems like a hurdle for me since I only have a simple OBD.

I’m thinking of taking the sensors that are behind the bar and somehow extending their cable to fit the front of the bull bar, but that will give the car an even more (non-stock) look with wires outside.

I really need a solution, rear camera isn’t enough for sure

Post #437068 15th Nov 2023 12:21 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

cryptofunded wrote:
Going to answer 1 by 1:

Grimdog: since I own cars I have them as a must, long story short 2 main reasons: safety (saved my moms life once the old one rolled over, served as a shock absorver that helped the car stop), cow bumpers: I often go camping and offroading and as you noted my city, but the country side has a TON of unpredictable animals and I’ve heard people who ran into cows(I almost did once at night as well) and had pretty bad injuries. So yeah, it’s not because carnival but it was worth the laugh, tks

I am not sure of this argument that the bull bar is a safety feature which will safe lives to either pedestrians or passengers.
The FL2 is a modern vehicle that has been designed to crumple and sacrifice the front structure to enable the passenger portion to keep intact and protect those carried within.
Surely the bull-bars only work to protect the bodywork in minor (very low speed/parking) collisions, and are at best only cosmetic and/or dangerous to everyone most of the time.
Wearing seat-belts and strapping down loose luggage is more important.
Then have faith in the designed structure to save you.

Grim Dog is right
Are bull bars necessary in Rio? For the carnival perhaps? They are not pedestrian friendly, take it from a firefighter who has seen first hand the damage they cause. Do yourself and others a favour and take them off. No worries about the parking sensors then  FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #437090 16th Nov 2023 11:02 am
cryptofunded

cryptofunded wrote:

Hi Nodge,

I am still looking for a PDC like you mentioned. Unsuccessful, I was tempted to import it from eBay. When searching, stumbled upon the same model you sent me, but this one was extracted from a 2008 HSE model (w/ front-parking sensors), which is like mine (but 2010). Was this something you already had in mind?

I'm thinking of trying to just remove the front from the module (the middle cable) it and hope it doesn't beep. I'll let you know if it does. Removing cables directly from the sensors them is my other option but feels like much work will be needed to get to them

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196071062085?it...R-6yy8zIYw

Post #440146 16th Mar 2024 2:16 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>