« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Electrical Gremlins
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
JMMYM

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Electrical Gremlins

Parked up last night with radio on - got in this morning to drive to work - no sound from audio system, fully functioning apart from no sound, as if it was muted. Managed to pull over, stop engine, remove fob and restart. This cured the problem. Stereo is an alpine in an XS. Don't know why LR adopted this silly fob and start button if it's not reliable or properly developed. Should have just used an old fashioned key instead of trying to copy Merc's keyless system. Wonder how long it will be before somebody's fob won't eject from dash? Also suffered first trip computer/ odometer reset last week after 1100 miles. Apart from these few electrical 'quirks' I'm really pleased with vehicle.

Post #2672 26th Apr 2007 7:54 am
QUERCUS

2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I don't want to sound patronizing, but at one point I couldn't start the car and was swearing I never would buy another Land Rover again. That's until I realized that the auto shift stick had slipped to reverse and thus didn't permit starting the engine. Also, at one point I tried to adjust the drivers seat to memory-slot 1 while driving, but it didn't set. Apparenly You can use memory settings only while standing still. Several other issues that I first thought were glitches have turned out to be planned functions. I don't mean Yours are, but I think I'm safe to say that some of the inserts on this forum complaining of "glitches" are actual planned functions. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6
stornoway grey
black leather

Post #2673 26th Apr 2007 8:41 am
JMMYM

Don't understand the relevance of you post following on from mine. The features you mention are regarding safety interlocks - you can't start any auto car unless it's in park and you've got foot on brake. Similar no no for adjusting seat on the move. I'm talking about software faults not built in safety features. There's obviously a glitch in the system judging from the number of people who've had non-starting and trip resets.

Post #2674 26th Apr 2007 9:20 am
QUERCUS

Didn't mean to water out your insert. Just wanted to air a thought that had popped in my mind earlier. As I said, I don't mean Your problems are of the sort I mentioned. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6
stornoway grey
black leather

Last edited by QUERCUS on 26th Apr 2007 9:27 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #2675 26th Apr 2007 9:26 am
QUERCUS

DISREGARD 2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6
stornoway grey
black leather

Post #2676 26th Apr 2007 9:27 am
jam80s

A little back gound. The "silly fob and start button" is a system similar to that now used by many car companies, Merc, BMW, Renault, and of course Jaguar (the coming XF and new XK) Land Rover, aka Ford. The reason the start stop you did fixed the problem is because doing this reboots all the vehicles ECU's the radio/Amplifier included. Be sure to report the problem to your dealer even if it does not reoccur, that way the issue will get reported back to LR.

Post #2680 26th Apr 2007 1:44 pm
JMMYM

As a follow up to my comments regarding the fob and start button; I went up to the Lakes this weekend and went across Ulpha fell. I stopped on steep narow up hill section to let another car come through and on setting off again like an idiot I managed to stall my FL2. Dipped clutch, handbrake on then pushed start button - no response from engine. Ejected fob, reinserted, pushed button - nothing. By this time I had a couple of cars behind plus a car stopped coming down hill to allow me uphill so I'm starting to feel like a bit of a dipstick holding everybody up. I jabbed the fob a few times and jabbed the starter , eventually the motor fired up and I drove on. However what I did notice was that the fob was in the ejected position. I was able to withdraw the fob from the dash and carry on driving. I then pulled up at next available place, Killed the motor reinserted fob and restarted no problem. So whether or not Jag, Merc, BMW or NASA space shuttle utilises this fob and starter button routine I still maintain that the FL2 system is flawed and provides no benefit to the driver much akin to the electric handbrake in some VW's.

Post #2767 30th Apr 2007 2:29 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Jmmym,

I too have suffered the embaressment of stalling and holding up other cars, its at times like that you really do wish there was a key to turn! The fob and button system really doesn't react well when used in a hurry. I understand Jam80s encouraging us to report all instances but we need the same enthusiasm from the dealers for that to work. My dealer has on a number of occassions told me it's not just the FL2, they all do it; and doesn't seem inclined to take note of my carefully recorded timings of these events.

Here's a thought for the stop/start glitches, I wonder if the problem is something to do with whats going on when the engine was last stopped (as oppossed to something going wrong in the start up sequence, the net result is the same), clutching at straws I know.

Post #2769 30th Apr 2007 7:08 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

You shouldn't have to note all these electronic gremlins to report them to the dealer. Anything that causes an error code like a non start is supposed to be automatically logged in a fault file in the main ECU, like on the FL2's bigger brothers. If you call out Land Rover Assist these days, the first thing the patrolman does is hook up a laptop to the port under the steering column and interrogate the fault memory. When my RRS started to go into limp home mode for no reason after about 10 miles on the road the LRA man not only read the ECU log file, he made a copy of the file then emailed it to the nearest dealer over a mobile phone link so they could investigate the problem whie we waited on my driveway. The dealer decided that it was not a safety related problem and told the LRA guy that the car could be driven to the dealers who then had the fix waiting when I arrived. The marvels of modern technology! BUT despite all this hitech stuff I do still keep a list of things that I want the dealer to investigate at the service How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #2770 30th Apr 2007 7:41 pm
m1964

United States 

Quote:
Parked up last night with radio on - got in this morning to drive to work - no sound from audio system, fully functioning apart from no sound, as if it was muted.

Hi, JMMYM

I had the same happening twice on less then one week old LR2/FL2, did not get response from the steeler, so I wonder if yur car has been fixed, and how -software download?

Thank you very much.

P. S.
The park assist does not work either when it happens -here in US it's standard.

Post #2917 9th May 2007 4:56 am
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I have suffered this none starting too; many, many, many times, plus audio cutting out, plus phone locking up plus adaptive headlight warning lights, plus transmission fault warnings, plus satnav not coming on, plus infra red head phones on the dvd screens having a constant buzzing noise.......Car was off the road for two weeks in first eight weeks...downloads did not work so car is now being replaced by the dealer, as you may have read on my previous postings. The cars are great just a shame the development has not been completed yet. I sincerely hope the new car is better Bow down as we love the car. As a family vehicle its great....despite problems I have no regrets. I would just urge owners to be firm but fair with the dealers, don't take any crap or 'fobbing' you off

Post #2931 9th May 2007 4:45 pm
Cidor

Russia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Tambora Flame

At LR there are features in electronics. In Russia this well-known. It is necessary to study attentively the manual and it is necessary to love the car. The patience is necessary.

Post #2939 9th May 2007 7:16 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I have another electrical gremlin to add. This happened a few times soon after I got the car but then 'went away', although other gremlins did not. In this instance during the start up sequence I get an enforced delay, when the start button is pressed and the letters "SrS' appear in the lower section of the odometer display. It goes away after a few seconds allowing the car to start without any further problems. I'm guessing that SrS is 'secondary restraint system' which I think is airbag related?

Anyone else seen this?

Post #2942 9th May 2007 9:12 pm
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I get the SrS sign on my trip display almost every time I start up. To be honest, I don't recall not seeing it !

Maybe its part of the 'boot' sequence of all the systems ?

Post #2944 9th May 2007 9:26 pm
pim

Netherlands 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Narvik Black

I did not have any of all those problems you mentioned. Not even one time.

Post #2945 9th May 2007 10:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>